PDA

View Full Version : Need a bit of helpful critique, please

Gil Jones
23rd May 2006, 02:54 AM
4.125" wide X 3.250" hi (so far), two coats of Watco Oil, texture boarder lines are friction burned with .020” SS wire, color is “Art Color” marker (Wal-Mart).
This one is not done yet, and I would like some opinions on if I have made an error with this color band (.500" wide), and its placement. The texturing was done with my pounce wheel; sweep left and right at a 45° angle, to form a knurled pattern.
Blast away please.
Thanks!

Hickory
23rd May 2006, 04:32 AM
I'll unload on ya.... First, I'm not a fan of texturing (personal prefference) but with the design you have created it looks nice but, BUT I think the band is too wide in reference to the size of the neck that follows. Perhaps drop it down to 3/8" to 5/16" wide and keep the neck the same. Or if you keep the width, increase the size of the neck on the next piece.

Perhaps such a band would look better if it were around the Girth of the piece.

Aside from the (if I could I would) statements, it is a grand looking piece and very attractive as it is but I feel there needs some improvement.

Thanks for the posting and

Jim Carroll
23rd May 2006, 09:02 AM
The waist of the peice looks too high.

If you were to drop the waist a bit that would make the shape flow a bit better and do not try to come in to the spigot for the base but give it a more rounded bottom.

At the moment it looks like you have come straight from the spigot to the middle then flowed to the top, it needs to be a bit more pear shaped.

As a general rule of thumb the 1/3 , 2/3 applies best here.

I agree with hickory maybe the band should be more of a highlight not a major part of the turning, narrow it down and see how it looks.

Just my 2 bobs worth. Keep up the good work.

CameronPotter
23rd May 2006, 09:51 AM
I can see what Jim is saying, but I quite like the dimensions as is and I would say that it is slightly reminiscent of a Greek vase - which isn't a bad thing.

I think that the textured and coloured band looks great, but I also think that it is fractionally to high. However, I would probably remedy this by reducing its width very slighty.

Cam

Jenny Brandis
23rd May 2006, 12:19 PM
I actually like it the way it is, the colours stand out well, the chatter is a great pattern, the shape is lovely and .... I like it. :)

Gil Jones
23rd May 2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks to you all for your honest critiques.
I have been thinking along similar lines (Jim, the foot/base was planned to be round with a flat area at the bottom. The spigot is just that, a spigot), and considering that the walls are too thin to make major changes in the band on this piece, I may just remove the curved top rim of the piece completely, and let it terminate just above the band.
What do y'all think of that??

CameronPotter
23rd May 2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks to you all for your honest critiques.
I have been thinking along similar lines (Jim, the foot/base was planned to be round with a flat area at the bottom. The spigot is just that, a spigot), and considering that the walls are too thin to make major changes in the band on this piece, I may just remove the curved top rim of the piece completely, and let it terminate just above the band.
What do y'all think of that??

I think it should be left alone. My comments were just if you were to do a new bowl/ for future consideration.

DEFINITELY do not remove the lip (in my opinion).

Cam

rsser
23rd May 2006, 07:13 PM
This is a very hard form to do well in my view.

Without the textured band the foot would look too wide ... the 1/3 rule generally works well but in this case the band provides a visual weighting that means you can get away with a wider one.

As for the textured band, I wish I had your skill and would like to know what a pounce wheel is. I'm about ready to start more adventurous texturing on bowls being bored with the basics.

That said, your natural timber has a nice flow of contrasting grain that the band interrupts. It also detracts from an excellent lip treatment which I would leave well alone.

So? Maybe narrow and move the band down a bit and go for a quieter colour?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd May 2006, 07:27 PM
Here I go again, nay-saying Cameron. [sigh] Hope we're not getting into a rut here. ;)

I like the form as is and agree with the others, but given that nothing else can change, then I'd remove the lip. IMHO the top end looks too busy as it is, removing the lip will still result in acceptable form and also reduce the impact of the band, making it more of an accent around the lip than "a band in the wrong place."

I wouldn't go so far as to trim the lip down to the band, that'd also look wrong... but down to the shadowline in the top pic would, again IMHO, be about right.

Gil Jones
24th May 2006, 02:34 AM
Thanks again for all of your contrasting ideas (very helpful).

Ern, a "pounce wheel" is used for transferring a pattern from paper to wood (as in a gunsmith transferring a checkering pattern onto a rifle stock). It is a little steel wheel with many tiny sharp points. Lay the paper on the wood, and trace the pattern with the pounce wheel, and it punctures tiny holes in the wood to match the pattern. I used it on this turning as one might use a Sorby texturing wheel tool. Here is where I bought the tool many years ago (see the bottom of this web page). It is not made for hi-speed use (but I cannot afford a Sorby texturing tool). http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=703&s

CameronPotter
24th May 2006, 10:56 AM
Here I go again, nay-saying Cameron. [sigh] Hope we're not getting into a rut here. ;)

I'll have to come over to your place and we can discuss the merits of taste...
http://www.ubeaut.biz/argue.gif (http://www.ubeaut.biz/ahgee.gif)

then skew chisels and 10 paces...

http://www.ubeaut.biz/boxing.gif

then with it all sorted out (and me unconscious on the floor) we can finish off with...

http://www.ubeaut.biz/drunk2.gif

;) :D

It is a funny thing that we disagree so often, but then, I suppose that we do reply to the same kind of threads and the hit and miss might be about 50/50, so it isn't all that surprising. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Cam

hughie
24th May 2006, 11:14 AM
Blast away please.

Gil,
Its all good advice and we all need some at some stage. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;) Always the next bowl will be better and we are often our most strident critics.

nice effort
hughie

rsser
24th May 2006, 06:30 PM
And full marks for putting your work on the line.

ubeaut
25th May 2006, 12:26 AM
G'day Gil - here's my critique for what it is worth.

Patterned section too wide, burn marks too heavy, from what I can see in the pic, you have lost the form a little at the top and considerably more at the bottom (the cove at the top really needs to be a little deeper to give a bit more shape to the rim). Foot almost looks like an after thought, like you decided to stop a bit too early.

I would make the cove above the foot much deeper which would allow you to continue a nicely formed curve on the bottom quarter of the bowl rather than the almost flat section that's there now, this deeper cove would also give a much cleaner and sharper and more defined line to the foot.

The top could possibly do with being cut back a little as suggested by shew but I wouldn't go too far for this particular design. I would however like to see a much cleaner line to the top edge. What I see in the pic appears to be a bit wishy-washy. IE: not a clean crisp squared off edge, not a razor sharp edge and not even a rounded over edge. It may just be the photo, but to me it just doesn't seem to be a clearly defined edge.

Hope you can follow what I am getting at, and that this is of some help to you Gil.

Cheers - Neil :)

PS Please take the remarks given here as helpful criticism and be secure in the knowledge that it is still a reasonably nice piece by general woodturning standards and one that I am sure any number of people would be happy to take off your hands.

Gil Jones
25th May 2006, 04:35 PM
More thanks to all.
I know it is all helpful criticism, and were I thin-skinned, I doubt that I would have asked for anyone's opinion.
Neal, I too think that he red band is too wide, and I cannot not change this piece in that regard. Maybe toning down the color some would help it. There is no 'foot', nor cove above it. What several folks are calling a foot is a spigot, still mounted in a chuck (like I said, it is not finished yet). This piece will have a round bottom, with a slight flat so it will not roll over. You have a valid point about the rim edge; it was sharp so I put a small radius on it. (Not a great idea, eh? That I can change). I do find all of the proffered ideas helpful. You have a fine, and varied, group of people here. Thanks for making this forum available.

Hickory
26th May 2006, 03:34 AM
I just showed the picture to SWMBO and she said the base was too small, looked like it is about to roll over. Said she liked the band but not the color. This is the opinion from a supreme being so take it for what it is worth, around this house you best be making adjustments. :D

Gil Jones
26th May 2006, 05:27 AM
And here I thought that Yankees knew everything.:rolleyes:

hughie
26th May 2006, 11:29 AM
And here I thought that Yankees knew everything.:rolleyes:

well it proves one thing, women are consistent all over the world :D
I got one just like at my house. Maybe, its cos I got married in the US??? she musta got contaminated ;) :D

hughie

Wood worrier
27th May 2006, 01:49 AM
Nice, I like the overall shape and colour band, but - the bowl doesn't need the foot as the mass of the bowl overpowers it.

Hickory
27th May 2006, 06:19 AM
well it proves one thing, women are consistent all over the world :D
I got one just like at my house. Maybe, its cos I got married in the US??? she musta got contaminated ;) :D

hughie

The "Keeper of the good stuff" is always in control, universally. I keep my SWMBO in complete control, I simply wrap myself around her little finger and she then knows who's boss. I have a two year old granddaughter and yesterday I watched her play her daddy like a violin. Smoochin' and huggin' his head till she got her way. Its Universal and an instinctive talent of the gender.:( Has nothing to do with global positioning.

hughie
27th May 2006, 02:10 PM
The "Keeper of the good stuff" is always in control, universally. I keep my SWMBO in complete control, I simply wrap myself around her little finger and she then knows who's boss. I have a two year old granddaughter and yesterday I watched her play her daddy like a violin. Smoochin' and huggin' his head till she got her way. Its Universal and an instinctive talent of the gender.:( Has nothing to do with global positioning.

sigh........................ your right of course. :( hughie