PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom renovation steps

Stoo
23rd May 2006, 02:59 AM
He all,
I'm not sure if I know of everything I need to do to renovate my bathroom. This is basically what I plan to do to renovate it (shower over bath combo).

1. Reinforce shower corner with galvanised angle.
2. Put bath in place
3. Put in place Flashing for floor/wall joints(inv around bath)
4. Put vertical flashing in shower/bath corner
5. Lay ceramic tile sheeting on floor
5. Get taps and waste drains moved/removed
6. Get new switch/applicances/sockets put in.
6. Put up villaboard.
7. "plaster" the joins between the plaster and the villa board
8. Water proof joins in the shower(mostly the corner I imagine)
9. tile shower
10 grout and seal(where appropriate) shower with silicone sealant
11. tile and grout floor
12. tile and grout walls
13. seal wall/floor join with silicone sealant
14. Place new vanity unit.
15. put new taps on.

Have I thought of eveything and do I have it in the right order?

Thanks for your help,
Stoo

mic-d
23rd May 2006, 09:26 AM
Scratch Nš 1, the galv angle in the corner. Nš 4 is vertical flashing in corner, which will be galv flashing. You have to checkout the studs for the bath so you can't have an angle running floor to ceiling anyway. Have the bath ready to go in (framed up etc) but leave it out until the plumber does his job. You can pop it into position and mark centres for spout and waste to guide the plumber.
Put down the tile underlay after the plumber has been and then put some masonite/ply walks down to protect it until you tile. Tile the the walls first, leave the bottom row of wall tiles. Install the last row of wall tiles. THis minimises damage to the floor tiling.

1. Put bath in place (dummy in position - mark c/l on wall and floor for plumber)
2. Get taps and waste drains moved/removed
3. Install bath (plumber to connect waste). Make up a dry-ish mortar mix and pack under bath.
4. Put in place Flashing for floor/wall joints(inv around bath)
5. Put vertical flashing in shower/bath corner
6. Get new switch/applicances/sockets put in.
7. Lay ceramic tile sheeting on floor
8. Put up villaboard.
9. "plaster" the joins between the plaster and the villa board (If join is below 2000mm above bath it should be w/p.) Don't plaster with gypsum prdct if tiling over. Use flexible cement tile adhesive.
10. Water proof joins in the shower. Wall/floorjunction should be w/p too. Mask tape ledge of bath and sikaflex gap between bath and villaboard.
9. tile shower/walls (leave bottom row off)
11. tile and grout floor
12. Tile bottom row of wall
13. grout walls and seal all juctions with silicone sealant
14. Place new vanity unit.
15. put new taps on.

If you have any flat areas around the bath, eg a ledge to a wall at the end of the bath, w/p these areas very well - they are a common source of failure.

I highly recommend you getin a prof w/p, they are cheap compared to the damage that water can do. and you will get a certificate. Get him in afterstep 8

Cheers
Michael

Stoo
23rd May 2006, 11:52 AM
Michael,

Thanks again for your wonderful advice.

Just a quick question, actually two.:D

I was just thinking when I attach the villaboard over the flashing will nailing through the flashing make it less effective and cause a problem?

How do you "end/join" each strip of flashingwhen it gets to a corner? Do you just run one piece over the piece it intersects with then use some kind of sealant to make a water-proof seal where they touch?

Thanks again,
Stoo

mic-d
23rd May 2006, 01:59 PM
Hopefully water will not get that far!! Is standard to just overlap flashing and nail thu it. THe waterproofing is really what's doing the job for you.