PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Help

cypher
23rd May 2006, 10:16 AM
I recently purchased a Jet DC-650 for my shop and I am very disapointed so far. Here's the deal. I got it all hooked up and when i try to suck up the shaving from my turnings . . . the darn thing clogs everytime. Am i misunderstanding what this device should be used for? I would expect that for the price it should be used for more then just dust. There is a safty grate across the impeller to prevent large object from getting in and causing damage but what happens is the turning shavings get wraped around the grate and cause a clog. I can only suck up about a 1' suqare area before it gets so cloged i have to remove the hose to clear it. Any ideas on this? Is this common? I this not going to work for what I need? At this point my little $70 shop vac works better. PLEASE HELP!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000223LM/qid=1148338665/sr=1-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-0393280-7829622?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=hi&v=glance&n=228013

zenwood
23rd May 2006, 10:32 AM
Had exactly the same problem with my el-cheapo timbecon version with thicknesser shavings clogging the inlet grill. I cut out the grill, and since then have had zero clog-ups.

Just don't suck up any nuts, bolts, allen keys...;)

Hickory
23rd May 2006, 10:40 AM
I don't have your model but a Grizzly, and yes there is a safety gate to keep your pinkies and chunks out but it gathers shavings in a flash. there are two solutions, Safest is to get a seperator to catch the shavings. This will eliminate the shavings from getting to the impeller guard... Or as I did, remove the safety mesh . I cut the veins and made a full 6" opening. Yes, chunks get in there and the impeller makes a "Clank" that will wake folks in the next town. and scare the bigeezers out of you if you don't know you picked it up. The impeller is pretty tough and usually I know when I done wrong and hit the switch before "Schmodt" happens. biggest problem has been sucking up a rag. It wrapped around the impeller and had to be disected (Unplug and dis-assemble)

If someone else has a better solution to this common problem, please let me know as well.

Jenny Brandis
23rd May 2006, 12:22 PM
I have numerous dust collectors, all provided by my children as they grewup and did art and craft at school. Guessing you don't mean one of them.;)

hughie
23rd May 2006, 02:07 PM
Cypher,
I was just in my local hardware and they had a lot blower/vacs for cleaning driveways electric 2000-2400 [2.8-3.5hp ] watt motors on them with some damn good velocity. Had I seen these before I bought my el cheapo I would have got one. There would be a bit of modifying to do but they are more powerful than most cheepees I have seen....bugger!:mad:
hughie

Tony Morton
23rd May 2006, 10:03 PM
Hi Cypher

Carba-Tec have a fitting that goes on a 44 gallon drum top cut out with two 4 inch fittings one in one out fit between dust extractor and pickup hose and the heavy shavings fall toothe bottom leaving floating dust and smallet particles to go through the screen and into the collection bag..

cheers Tony

BuffaloJohn
27th May 2006, 05:16 AM
Hi Cypher

Carba-Tec have a fitting that goes on a 44 gallon drum top cut out with two 4 inch fittings one in one out fit between dust extractor and pickup hose and the heavy shavings fall toothe bottom leaving floating dust and smallet particles to go through the screen and into the collection bag..

cheers Tony

I second this concept. I have the garbage can lid separater and I empty the garbage can about 5 times before I empty the dust collector's bag. The separater works wonderful. Here's a link to one -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B45POQ/qid=1148667339/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9023587-1414511?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

John Nixon - www.eaglelakewoodworking.com (http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com)

dazzler
27th May 2006, 11:41 AM
THIS....is a seperator ;)