PDA

View Full Version : No more resin excuses...

CameronPotter
23rd May 2006, 12:51 PM
Hi,

I just called the local fibreglass shop and talked to them about setting polyester resin in colder weather. The guy said that it shouldn't be too dependent on the temp. You can just up the catalyst a bit (which might cause shrinkage and possibly cracking if you add too much), but it will set.

He said that it is very different in the curing process from epoxy resin, so it appears that Skew and I don't have anymore excuses about cold weather, we had better get on and try some more of these things out! :D

Cam

bovalino1
26th May 2006, 11:02 PM
Hi I use polyester resin a lot the rule with it is min 1% max 2% catalyst it will take longer to dry in colder weather 2 to 3 days
cheers Charles
Hi,

I just called the local fibreglass shop and talked to them about setting polyester resin in colder weather. The guy said that it shouldn't be too dependent on the temp. You can just up the catalyst a bit (which might cause shrinkage and possibly cracking if you add too much), but it will set.

He said that it is very different in the curing process from epoxy resin, so it appears that Skew and I don't have anymore excuses about cold weather, we had better get on and try some more of these things out! :D

Cam

CameronPotter
27th May 2006, 02:18 PM
Not for the stuff that I am doing with it... I used 3% and it was fine. I have used 2% in cold weather and after two weeks it still wasn't set...

The only problem with using more catalyst is cracking due to heat.

Cam