PDA

View Full Version : Replacing tip in tailstock centre

Tiger
23rd May 2006, 02:50 PM
Dear all,

The little tip in the live center that sits in the tailstock has become slightly deformed and does not run true. The bearing part of the mechanism is fine, it's only the metal tip that sits inside the bearing and is tightened with a grub screw that needs fixing. I've been told that I need to buy the whole unit, any ideas for a replacement? Has anyone turned up their own?

Gil Jones
23rd May 2006, 03:12 PM
Tiger,
While I do not know how the point in your live center is shaped, many fit into a tapered hole (you say yours is held in with a set screw). Anyway, if your live center will fit into the Morris Taper of your headstock, pop the complete live center unit out of your tailstock, and insert it into your headstock spindle. Wrap a bit of strong tape around the outer rotating part, and secure it to the Morris taper shaft/spindle threads to keep it from rotating. Now turn on the lathe, and reshape the pointed part with a fine cut file.
Presto, good as new point.
Also, I sometimes need a soft point so as not to mar a piece, and I will remove the steel point and turn a wood point (or other shape) to take its place.

Tiger
23rd May 2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks, Gil for taking the time to reply to my thread, the tip has an angle of about 60 degrees. I will give your method a try, by the way do your wooden tips last long and what type of wood do you use?

Gil Jones
23rd May 2006, 04:36 PM
60° tips are normal, I was referring to the shape of the end
that seats into the bearing (I just did not say it clearly). The only reason I mentioned how the backend of the tip was shaped is that if it is straight (not tapered) you can pop it out of the bearing and into a drill press chuck, or even into your scroll chuck for re shaping.
My wooden/rubber/plastic/etc. homemade tips sometimes last a
good long while, and sometimes not. It just depends what I am using it for. One thing is for sure; they are very inexpensive because they are mostly made from scraps.
Good luck re-truing your steel tip.

Tiger
23rd May 2006, 05:16 PM
Gil, the part that seats in the bearing is not tapered luckily, it is cylindrical with a small flat to take the grub screw. I'll try the drill press, any tips on how to position the file so that the point of the tip is filed true?

Gil Jones
24th May 2006, 02:00 AM
Tiger, just lightly file the same 60° angle that you have now (or modify the angle) and the cone will be as true as the spindle you are using for the work (automatically).

TTIT
25th May 2006, 12:39 AM
Dear all,

The little tip in the live center that sits in the tailstock has become slightly deformed and does not run true. The bearing part of the mechanism is fine, it's only the metal tip that sits inside the bearing and is tightened with a grub screw that needs fixing. I've been told that I need to buy the whole unit, any ideas for a replacement? Has anyone turned up their own?

Tiger - I had the same thing happen to mine and it turned out that the bearing had twisted in the housing:(. I pressed it back into place a couple of times then got fed up :mad: and bought a multi-tipped set from McJings - very handy unit.:)

Tiger
25th May 2006, 01:14 PM
The only reason I mentioned how the backend of the tip was shaped is that if it is straight (not tapered) you can pop it out of the bearing and into a drill press chuck, or even into your scroll chuck for re shaping.

Gil, it didn't work out so well in the headstock taper, but it worked a lot better in the drill press, so thanks for that.

By the way, how would you true the tip if it did have a tapered backend as I reckon mine might have a small taper?:confused:

Gil Jones
25th May 2006, 02:57 PM
Tiger,
Glad that it worked out for you, but I think TTIT has a good 'point' about the condition of the bearing(s). If your live center will not run true in the headstock spindle (and it should), the live center bearing(s) could be bad. My point base is tapered so I just leave it in the live center, put it in the headstock spindle, tape the outside so it (and the point) cannot move, and file it true with the lathe on slowest speed (480 rpm).

RETIRED
25th May 2006, 10:21 PM
I would buy a good quality tail stock centre,a Woodfast or similar. Most centres that come with lathes are absolute crap that really don't work properly.

My opinion only.;)

Tiger
25th May 2006, 10:24 PM
, by crap, do you mean they don't run true or the steel is soft and deforms easily?