PDA

View Full Version : quick electrical help please

bitofascallywag
23rd May 2006, 10:57 PM
anybody know much about gardiner 6 lx cav generators and their regs..as in polarity...

echnidna
23rd May 2006, 11:07 PM
Jeez a question outa the ark.

I think they were positive earth, though that shouldn't matter.
The reg might be polarity sensitive though I don't think it is. (unless its electronic but dont recall ever seeing one of them)

bitofascallywag
23rd May 2006, 11:15 PM
funny thing is that have a new delco reg that is as close as we can find in looks but seems to discharge into generator,when running,is there a certain way to wire different type generators? info needed badly as we have to run tommorrow in the good frosty weather in west tas at the moment...will post pics when we arrive ...historic value....arcadia 11 is her name for any historic buffs

Ashore
23rd May 2006, 11:28 PM
Try a pm to Simomatra as good a lecco as you will find , but don't mention the ark he's still upset about the grounding

Rgds

Son of Sam
24th May 2006, 06:24 PM
He can't be too upset about it, he was wearing his "Ark Ball Cap" when he left the house this morning... :p

echnidna
24th May 2006, 06:33 PM
funny thing is that have a new delco reg that is as close as we can find in looks but seems to discharge into generator,when running,is there a certain way to wire different type generators? info needed badly as we have to run tommorrow in the good frosty weather in west tas at the moment...will post pics when we arrive ...historic value....arcadia 11 is her name for any historic buffs

Delco reg wont work at all on a CAV generator,
the field wiring is totally different.

A Lucas reg will work ok.
One off a pommy car with 3 bobbins is best as they have independent current and voltage regulation whereas the old 2 bobbin regs are compound regs.

You should be able to get one from an auto electrician,

bitofascallywag
27th May 2006, 05:44 PM
thanks echidna,we made the trip anyway with petrol genny and batt charger,and yes the batt charger broke down so we left pieman river bar for the first time in 30 years,and steamed to launceston.around midnight nav lights began to dim etc etc,but here we are at anyrate and the arcadia 2 is now ready for some planks and other wee jobs to be done.
she is 53 foot totally huon pine river cruiser built in 39,

Ashore
27th May 2006, 07:52 PM
She sounds a beauty bitofascallywag I am looking forward to the pictures

Rgds

bitofascallywag
18th June 2006, 07:59 PM
finally here is a pic and will get some more while planks are going on if you all like

Ashore
18th June 2006, 10:47 PM
Looks fantastic and yes more pics

Rgds

bitofascallywag
18th June 2006, 10:58 PM
consider it done,i think she even ran a gun upfront when she was seconded by the navy....new guinea i think