PDA

View Full Version : Fun house mirror

knucklehead
24th May 2006, 11:26 AM
I made a frame for a mirror some time ago and have just installed the mirrored glass. Once the completed mirror was hung something didn't look right.

Turns out the piece of mirrored glass (standard 3mm) that I bought has irregularities in it. These give the fun house mirror type bulges and curves to the reflection. For instance if you stand at the mirror, a brick wall is visible in the background. The mirror gives the wall quite an unnatural curve.

So my questions are:
1. Do I need to specify the quality of the mirrored glass when I buy it?
2. Should I take the glass back and complain?
3. What is acceptable distortion for a domestic mirror?

I don't expect the world from a $30 mirror but I don't think it should give me motion sickness every time I walk past.

Knucklehead

Who has enough curves of his own without needing assistance for a wayward mirror.

DanP
24th May 2006, 11:48 AM
KH,

Check that your mirror frame is straight (not warped) and square and if it is, take the mirror back. When I say square, I mean if you lay it flat on a flat surface, there isn't a corner that sits up (or two).

Dan

Wongo
24th May 2006, 12:16 PM
Give it to Ozwinner. He will look normal in it. :D

Sorry Al. :D

Termite
24th May 2006, 12:55 PM
It has advantages, if you work out the right angle then SWMBO's bum won't look big in it. :rolleyes:

Wongo
24th May 2006, 01:56 PM
It has advantages, if you work out the right angle then SWMBO's bum won't look big in it. :rolleyes:

It has disadvantages, if you work out the right angle then your...

Never mind:D

diamonds
25th May 2006, 01:03 AM
:eek: We have one of those mirrors in our lounge room. We love it. It's a great talking point and a good lesson to my young daughters not to get too wrapped in their looks. (They can't tell how big their bottom really is!!)

ozwinner
25th May 2006, 06:52 PM
Its crap mirror from China, solly Wongo. :D
But thats what it is, cheap glass/mirror from China.

Al :(

knucklehead
25th May 2006, 08:05 PM
Its crap mirror from China, solly Wongo. :D
But thats what it is, cheap glass/mirror from China.

Al :(

Thats what I thought. But what annoys me is that I payed good money for it.
I might just send it to Wongo, sounds like he could play with it for hours.