PDA

View Full Version : Trailer length

TK1
24th May 2006, 01:12 PM
Hi,

Perhaps a naive question, but I can't seem to find the answer on the relevant VicRoads, etc websites...

How long can a boat/trailer combo be behind a standard car/4WD? I am in the process of choosing plans for something to build, and whilst weight is certainly a factor, as it is to be trailerable I need to narrow down designs by what i can tow. Otherwise I'll keep looking at 70' wooden yachts!

I've seen some massive boats on trailers and the VicRoads site seems to say a trailer can be up to 12m behind a private vehicle, but this seems a bit long?

Anyone advice from those with knowledge/experience of trailer sailers or motor launches would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Darren

DanP
24th May 2006, 01:36 PM
I think you'll find that the combination can be no more than 12m but I'll do some research and let you know.

Dan

TK1
24th May 2006, 03:01 PM
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. 12 metres as the total combo length seems to make sense - I assume by 'combo' it means vehicle PLUS trailer.

Therefore a 4m vehicle could tow an 8m trailer which might carry a 7.5m boat.

Still a fair size and more than enough for me to build as a first attempt! Just wanting to know my options - both wanting to build something manageable but also not too small so that it doesn't get the use and I'm immediately wanting a bigger boat (which will no doubt happen anyway :D )

Regards,
Darren

Boatmik
24th May 2006, 04:46 PM
Boat trailer info from vicroads
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrne5nav.nsf/childdocs/-55E7C4E2B4A5C914CA256FD300241BD4-33BEC0425C6DB12FCA256FD300241BDA-D56A83E01B6A2A87CA256FD300241BDE-8FAC63B525A0485DCA25711D0011EEC6?open

The overall figure of 12 metres quoted above is too low I believe.

Be aware too that there is a system in place for vehicles that are wider or longer than this and many require only a phone call to the police to get the relevant forms faxed to you. Fill them out - fax them back - a follow up phone call to see they have received them - and you are off. Takes about 20 minutes to sort out in SA- but do it a couple of days in advance in case there is a glitch.

We have moved boats up to 4metres wide in this way for quite reasonable distances.

If boat is not too much larger there are just some extra flags. Once it gets quite a bit larger maybe need a car carrying a sign as well.

Ashore
24th May 2006, 05:11 PM
Make sure you have the correct tow bar fitted for the weight you are going to tow, it pays to check with you vechicle manufacturer as to the best way of attaching for heavy towing

Rgds

Ashore
24th May 2006, 05:25 PM
For N.S.W. the max overall length of vehicle and trailer combination including its load must not be more than 19m.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/2005_10_towingtrailers.pdf

Rgds

TK1
24th May 2006, 05:46 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. The 19m overall length allows a lot more flexibility in choice (still have to build it though, so may not go for a 15m boat as the first attempt! :eek: )

Mik, not sure why I couldn't find the trailer info on the Vic Roads website, so thanks for the link.

Ashore, depending on the build time I am either upgrading to a heavy-duty towbar on my vehicle (to tow 1500kg) or will have a new 4WD by the time it's built, which will tow just over double that.

Ideal plan I have in mind at present is 32' but I will probably start ith something 2/3 that size as practice.

This has given me the required comfort in the size of boat I can select, so I appreciate the replies and will let the board know when a plan is bought an construction will begin!

Regards,
Darren

DanP
24th May 2006, 06:14 PM
Just remember that any combination longer than 12m is a 'long vehicle' and may not be parked in a built up area for longer than an hour.

Dan

graemet
24th May 2006, 09:46 PM
My TS is just under 6 metres and I wouldn't like to pull anything much bigger through Sydney traffic on the weekend, or manouver it around some of the ramp carparks. Still, I've seen plenty of bigger boats on the road .
Cheers
Graeme