PDA

View Full Version : Arbortech mini grinder

dunno103
25th May 2006, 04:45 PM
Hi

Several questions at once.

I am looking at buying one of these, have checked through the threads but am a little confused. :confused:

Would it be more economical buying a cheap grinder and the attachment ($129) or the mini grinder itself.

Is it a 2inch diameter cutting wheel or 4 inch? the salesman said it was 4 inch but catalogue says 2 inch. :confused:

Can this grinder perform detailed work?

Anyone's experience and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Jim Carroll
25th May 2006, 06:44 PM
The mini grinder is definatly 50mm .
If you buy the attatchment only then you have to put up with puting it on and taking it of.
Sometimes you feel it is not worth the effort and change your mind about what you were going to do.
If you buy the unit complete then you can leave it setup and use it whenever you feel like it. No fuss at all turn on and cut away.

You can do as detailed as you like it is all hand conrtol, takes a little bit to get used to.

The standard blades for the arbortech are 100mm that is probably what the sales person was thinking of and may not know about the mini carver.

Sprog
25th May 2006, 06:51 PM
A cheap angle grinder may not stand up to extended use.
Yes it will do detailed work.
This is a great tool, worth buying.

Mini-Grinder (http://www.arbortech.com.au/view/product-information/Mini-Grinder.html)

Video showing the Mini Grinder in action

Using the Arbortech mini grinder (http://www.arbortech.com.au/view/free-videos/using-the-arbortech-mini-grinder)

mic-d
25th May 2006, 07:08 PM
Yep its a great tool, and the tungsten blade is worth getting too. I put mine on my 4" Makita and it stays there... Which is a perfect excuse to buy a bigger one (which I did hehehe)

Cheers
Michael
forgot to mention I had to also buy the adaptor plate - it did not fit straight off:(

Bluegum
25th May 2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the added info. I might have to look into it myself.:cool:

dunno103
25th May 2006, 09:01 PM
Hi

Thanks to all those who replied and thanks hepas for those links Sprog:) .

I was talking to someone and they said that the arbortech unit isn't as powerful as his makita and he said they go for about $90.

Anyone know of any grinders that would cut the mustard (approx an hour a day) for around $90.

Thanks

Steve

Wood Butcher
25th May 2006, 09:42 PM
If you have a good compressor consider getting an air powered grinder. They are not as noisy and you can set the regulator pressure so that the grinder will stall if the cutter bites in.

Jim Carroll
25th May 2006, 10:56 PM
Steve you have to remember that it is a mini grinder.
Not for grinding away big chucks of wood but more for decorating and finishing.
Any grinder will not cut the mustard with blunt or worn out blade.
And it all depends on the material getting cut as to how long the blade will stay sharp.

Stuart
26th May 2006, 12:05 PM
Hi

Thanks to all those who replied and thanks hepas for those links Sprog:) .

I was talking to someone and they said that the arbortech unit isn't as powerful as his makita and he said they go for about $90.

Anyone know of any grinders that would cut the mustard (approx an hour a day) for around $90.

Thanks

Steve

I have a 100mm one fitted to my Dewalt grinder ($100) - it doesn't seem to mind.

You could also try one on a GMC - they are rated up around 900W, and if it struggles to cut the mustard (or the wood ;)), then you have 30 days to return, or 2 years warranty.....

masoth
3rd June 2006, 05:49 PM
I'm pleased to find your question, Steve. I was looking today to buy one, but nobody I talked to understood my description.
Anyway I found this:
http://www.timbecon.com.au/products/angle-grinder-attachments-349_0.aspx
and came back to check any knowledge the forum members had. It also offers possible alternatives

I reckon a dedicated tool has advantages over an accessory item but it depends how often it's to be used. I think I will buy as an accessory to use with my GMC grinder IF it meets this proviso:
"Mini Carver Kits and Accessories. - MIN-300
Ideal for carving soft and hardwoods, it is designed to fit onto angle grinders with 36-44mm collars."

I'm re-reading the destruction manual which DOES NOT tell me anything about 'collars' - so that is another question for the knowledgeable and because it may also be of interest to you I'm not going to apologise for hijacking your thread. :o Help me too, please.

soth

masoth
3rd June 2006, 05:55 PM
I have a 100mm one fitted to my Dewalt grinder ($100) - it doesn't seem to mind.

You could also try one on a GMC - they are rated up around 900W, .....

My GMC AG is 5" and 1200W. The 4" mignt be in the 900W range and today when I was at Bunnings the 4" was priced at about $60, I think.

soth

dunno103
3rd June 2006, 11:54 PM
Hi again

thanks to all those members who replied in this and other relevant posts I have had a good chance to look at them by now.

I went to the WWW Sydney show today and bought a complete mini grinder. the salesman said it has sealed bearings from Italy that prevent wood dust getting into them.

I bought 2 cheap Ryobi grinders (@$45 each) 900 W (EAG95100), and the guy from the Arbortech stand said he'd fit the kit on it for me. When I took them there and they opened one up, it had a 50mm collar and wouldn't fit.

Originally posted by masoth
I'm not going to apologise for hijacking your thread
why should you Soth, it's the way we all learn.

Steve

Sprog
4th June 2006, 12:28 AM
I went to the WWW Sydney show today and bought a complete mini grinder. the salesman said it has sealed bearings from Italy that prevent wood dust getting into them. Steve

Good choice. :D
You will love using this tool it is great.
If you haven't already done so then watch the video in the link I posted earlier, it will give you useful info on using and getting the best from your mini grinder.

Sprog
4th June 2006, 12:41 AM
I reckon a dedicated tool has advantages over an accessory item but it depends how often it's to be used. I think I will buy as an accessory to use with my GMC grinder IF it meets this proviso:

It is not an accessory you want to be fitting and removing, best to leave it fitted permanently to the angle grinder.
Cheap angle grinders have cheap internals (gears, bearings and windings) and will not withstand long running times. You could be using the mini grinder for 30 minutes or more at a time and those cheap plastic gears will not stand the pace.

I'm re-reading the destruction manual which DOES NOT tell me anything about 'collars'
soth

Check out the video in the link I posted earlier, it should answer your questions.

dunno103
4th June 2006, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by Sprog
If you haven't already done so then watch the video in the link I posted earlier

I have watched it Sprog (not long after I found the reply), it convinced me to get it. Thanks again

btw I can't wait to use it

Steve

masoth
4th June 2006, 01:34 PM
Check out the video in the link I posted earlier, it should answer your questions.

Thanks Sprog, I was saying the GMC manual does not mention collars - it was the video you posted that alerted me to 'collars', and may save me some $$$$$$$.
Checking the AG convinces me the GMC has collars so it all should fit, and if not I could then buy dedicated machine part.

soth