PDA

View Full Version : What grass type would be best

kva
25th May 2006, 09:41 PM
Hi all i was wondering what type of grass would be best to lay over a septic tank treatment area. (The grass needs to be able to absorb? a lot of water / waste):confused:

Thanks

Kane

dazzler
25th May 2006, 10:06 PM
What about swamp grass....reeds and stuff

Poo-Poo Wee Wee grass?

scooter
25th May 2006, 11:14 PM
Tall Fespoo ? :p

echnidna
25th May 2006, 11:43 PM
Any lawn grass seed is ok.
Don't use kikuyu (dunno how to spell it)
The roots will go down 2 or 3 feet and can clog the pipes.

Bob38S
26th May 2006, 03:43 PM
Hi all i was wondering what type of grass would be best to lay over a septic tank treatment area. (The grass needs to be able to absorb? a lot of water / waste):confused:

Thanks

Kane

G'day kva and welcome to the forums.
I don't know what you would call it in your neck of the woods but we have a broad leafed grass here which is generally known as "carpet grass" - very tolerant to shade/temperature, grows very thick/green and quickly but mows surprisingly easily. It "sucks up" water very efficiently. Most people here tend to regard it as a bit of a pest - only because it grows so quickly - but it works a treat on septic trenches.
Hope it helps
Bob:D

Termite
26th May 2006, 04:03 PM
Well there is one that loves water but is not strictly a grass even though it is often refered to as such. Has many uses apart from water sucking, pain relief, mood enhancer, giggle inducer, appetite improver, makes long wearing cloth, and will get you a nice govenment paid holiday if you are found growing it.:rolleyes:

Ashore
26th May 2006, 04:27 PM
Well there is one that loves water but is not strictly a grass even though it is often refered to as such. Has many uses apart from water sucking, pain relief, mood enhancer, giggle inducer, appetite improver, makes long wearing cloth, and will get you a nice govenment paid holiday if you are found growing it.:rolleyes:

Must be good over septics , cause apparently the better quality stuff is described as 'good $hit', obviously refering to the quality of the material it was fertilizer with :rolleyes:

bitingmidge
26th May 2006, 04:49 PM
....then there's Astro Turf, quite an aftertaste I understand, although I only know one person who admits to actually having tried .... :rolleyes:

P
:D