PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Hoe- time?

JDub
26th May 2006, 11:13 AM
Im halfway through installing my automated irrigation system, putting the irrigation in the front lawn and while Im at it I am going to replace the turf (or whats left of it) :rolleyes: .

Need to rotary hoe the area to prepare for the new turf, Kennards hire them for 4 hours or full day.
Having never used one (or seen one used) I have no idea how long it will take. The area is 9 x 6.5m and the ground is relatively hard and compacted from the lack of rain of late.

Seems to me 4 hours will be plenty but just wanted to check ;) :o

Joel

Bob38S
26th May 2006, 03:53 PM
Hi JDub,
4 hours should be plenty for that area - would be a good time to have a soil analysis done to check what is missing so that you can remediate the soil at the same time - kits should be available from a nursery/hardware to tell you what you need. You may need to do the area over twice - first = shallow, second = deeper - don't necessarily try to get to the "finished" depth in one go.
Regards,
Bob
PS

Having never used one (or seen one used)
Joel
- get the Kennards blokes to give you a complete rundown of how to use the machine and ask plenty of questions of what to expect

JDub
26th May 2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the reply Bob :D - next weekends project by the looks of it :rolleyes:

The soil in my area has a high clay content and is generally acidic so I planned on adding gypsum and lime to the area and also topping with some fresh top soil as per the local turf companys recommendations:
http://www.canturf.com.au/lawn/prepare.html

Cheers
Joel

DavidG
26th May 2006, 05:04 PM
Water it well a few days before you try or the machine will bounce across the surface of our Canberra cement.:eek:

Bob38S
26th May 2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Bob :D - next weekends project by the looks of it :rolleyes:

The soil in my area has a high clay content and is generally acidic so I planned on adding gypsum and lime to the area and also topping with some fresh top soil as per the local turf companys recommendations:
http://www.canturf.com.au/lawn/prepare.html

Cheers
Joel
Just a silly thought -- as I sit here in sunny [very dry] Qld [in shirt sleeves and shorts] -- Is next weekend really the best time for you to do this - or should you really wait until September to get the beginning of the growing season? Just a thought.
Bob

Termite
26th May 2006, 06:13 PM
Is a rotary hoe a friendly girl at a mens club? :rolleyes:

Sorry, the Devil made me do it.:D

JDub
30th May 2006, 10:42 AM
Just a silly thought -- as I sit here in sunny [very dry] Qld [in shirt sleeves and shorts] -- Is next weekend really the best time for you to do this - or should you really wait until September to get the beginning of the growing season? Just a thought.
Bob

Dont worry, I thought exactly the same thing myself but after doing a bit of research and asking some questions, now seems to be the perfect time to by laying turf. This of course does not apply to new seed which is best done in spring. :)

From an email from the turf company:

mid winter is the best time of year for laying our
Canberra blend (with clover) for a couple of reasons.
Firstly your soil will need to be constantly damp for the first seven days,
this is a lot easier in winter than any other season. Secondly your lawn
isn't going to be as active as it would be in spring,this means that you
will be able to train your lawn to take infrequent deep watering through
spring and into the summer months.ultimatly you will only need to irrigate
once per week after your lawn is established.

David,

Thanks for the tip, will do.:cool:

LOL termite

Joel

JDub
2nd June 2006, 11:21 AM
Been raining here the past few days (still is actually).

I have hired (booked) a rotary hoe for tomorrow, hope its not too muddy :rolleyes: :confused: