PDA

View Full Version : Neil: What are the problems???

sunshine
17th July 2002, 07:23 AM
Neil: Read the archives about the various
lathes, since I am looking for a new lathe, and found your remark about the new Nova 3000, having potential problems you did not
state.
Can you please go into that statement and
talk about the areas of concern?
I am looking at that lathe and would not
want to consider buying it if there were hidden "big bugs" that I would be stuck with.

Thanks, Phyllis

ubeaut
17th July 2002, 08:48 PM
G'day Phyllis - I have typed 3 epics for this post ant 4 for your other one. Something has happened to stuff them up each time, so this time you get the shortened version.

There are no major problems, however, I do have concerns with the following:

If the power is switched off at the power point or the power lead disconnected or there is a power failure, the motor automatically resets itself to (I think) 1400 rpm or there abouts. This could be disasterous if you were working on a large bowl or roughing out at say 250 rpm prior to the disconnection of power.

The time it takes to get up to full speed from lowest speed is far too long, around 20+ seconds (this is not a measured time, just my perception) when you are waiting with your finger pressing down on the button it seems like 10 minutes. Very frustrating. OK for the average Joe but a real time waste for a production turner.

Finally I am a bit concerned that the reverse button is too easily accessed. It would be relatively easy to hit the wrong button if your mind was somewhere else. This could be a major disaster especially if working at high revs on a large bowl or platter. I don't think I could run fast enough to get out of the way when it comes off.

Having said all that I still have to admit that I was extremely impressed and would love to have one for myself.

If you know the limiations of your machine and its little quirks then you shouldn't fall in to the little traps that it tries to set for you.

Other Aussie lathes that might be worth considering are Vicmark - excellent range of lathes from mid price to top of the heap, Omega - top of the heap, Woodfast - from junk to top of the heap. My choice in order of preference would be: 1 top of the line Vicmarc or Omega, 2 Nova DMV, 3 Nova 3000 and lastly Woodfast.

CLICK HERE (http://www.teknatool.com/) for Nova info, or HERE (http://www.woodturning.com.au/) for Carba Tec ACT who have sold Vicmarc and Omega into the USA at far cheaper rates than you will ever get over there. I think they can also help with Nova.

Hope this is of help

I started writing this at 7:15 thismorning and finished it at 7:45 tonight. You wouldn't believe the day I had.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Tim the Timber Turner
17th July 2002, 10:19 PM
Gee Neil! And I always thought you could you could type faster than me.

When do you get time to light the fire under the Witches Cauldron and make your magic brews????

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.

sunshine
18th July 2002, 05:57 AM
Neil: You have helped a lot! And I am checking with CarbaTec also.

Thanks, Phyllis