PDA

View Full Version : First ever pen

Jenny Brandis
27th May 2006, 06:51 PM
I have never turned a pen before so please be gentle :) I used araldite to glue the two bits of Jarrah (from a 3 mt length) to the offcut of acrylic (left over from my husbands pen turning). Left it held together with elastic bands overnight before I turned it today.

The shape is an East Midland Lace Bobbin as I am also a lace maker it was a shape I am familiar with.

So .... what do you think?

bdar
27th May 2006, 10:15 PM
Jenny I am familiar with the shape and I will be gentle, there is no picture, your attachment did not work. looking forward to seeing the design in a pen
Cheers
Darren

Jenny Brandis
27th May 2006, 10:16 PM
this better?

lubbing5cherubs
27th May 2006, 11:01 PM
this better? Cool pen Jenny. I like the wood and acrylic together
bye Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th May 2006, 01:54 AM
Very effective. Guaranteed no-one else has one like it. :) No problems drilling it out?

Jenny Brandis
28th May 2006, 12:10 PM
well .....um.... to be honest ......

I grabbed a drill bit that had a spade shape with a point in the centre.

Stopped the lathe, centred the point and hand turned the lathe to make a start hole.

As I had the lathe on the second slowest setting I (don't read this bit if you are OH&S) held the proper sized drill bit in my right hand while I turned the lathe on, using the left hand to steady the turning pen I gently pressed the bit in/out a few times until I ran out of drill bit.

Gave a good drill hole, but shallow as it is only as long as the bit (about 5 cm)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th May 2006, 08:13 PM
It worked and you still have 10 fingers. That's what's important. :D

I gather that you don't have a jacob's chuck (a drill chuck) & morse taper for the tailstock?

Jenny Brandis
28th May 2006, 10:01 PM
It was being held in the head end by the jacobs chuck so that left me with the electric drill (dangerous in my hands) or the drill bit . In this case I had more control of the drill bit. My second pen (yep, i had to try it again) was a bit more successful as I held the drill bit in a pair of pliers which gave me more confidence and control.