PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Sled

DPB
27th May 2006, 06:58 PM
I came across this item some time ago and finally got around to making it. http://tinyurl.com/og5ds

For some reason, the plan calls for the sled to be on the right side of the saw blade. But as I am not used to using my tablesaw in this manner, I converted it to the left side. Both sides sit in the mitre-gauge slot. The right side is 'trapped' in location by a stop that sits in the front fence rail and the left side is free to slide front-to-back riding in the mitre-gauge slot.

The beauty of this jig is that the adjustable fence of the sliding sled (left) can be positioned at any angle through a full 180 degrees. The fixed portion (right) and the sliding sled sit almost flush against the blade making it zero clearance. For small intricate pieces such as I cut for boxes, this is ideal and it keeps my hands well clear of the blade.

I have two hold-downs shown in this picture as well as a toggle clamp (not shown). These fit anywhere along the T-Track in the fence. The stop can be positioned with the long or short side on the cutting side of the fence. The Incra T-Track grid allows infinite positioning of the fence.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2564/dscn4708b2pp.jpg

Groggy
27th May 2006, 07:16 PM
Very nice! This is an Incra 5000 type of setup. Something else for the to-do list! I like the zero clearance capability. I gather the right hand side section is sitting in the mitre slot to stop it vibrating over to the blade?

Nice job!

chrisb691
27th May 2006, 08:26 PM
That's a very elegant tool.:D

Glenn_M
27th May 2006, 08:40 PM
That is one nice piece of work there. Good job.
Cheers,
Glenn

Auld Bassoon
27th May 2006, 08:40 PM
Hmmm, very nice job Don. Ming if I borrow that :D

doug the slug
27th May 2006, 10:22 PM
Nice job Don

m8tey
28th May 2006, 12:00 AM
great tool. Tried to download same instructions but havn't had any luck. Says theres a download button on buttom of the page ......but its not showing up.

DPB
28th May 2006, 01:16 AM
great tool. Tried to download same instructions but havn't had any luck. Says theres a download button on buttom of the page ......but its not showing up.

Just tried it, no problems - was able to download all 13 pages of the PDF file.

:)

dazzler
28th May 2006, 10:13 AM

Me 3:(

Wongo
28th May 2006, 11:51 AM
Wow Don, that is a fantastic project. The sled looks very robust. Good job mate.

Stuart
28th May 2006, 11:10 PM
Another job/jig to make!

Those incra hold-downs are great- was using mine today in the Triton WC2000 slots. Think I need more :D

KRH
28th May 2006, 11:55 PM
Very nice Don. I feel a need for a new one myself. Might have a go at making the hold-downs myself.

Ken

DPB
29th May 2006, 10:13 AM
Very nice Don. I feel a need for a new one myself. Might have a go at making the hold-downs myself.

Ken

A couple of years ago I made a new table for my drill press. At that time I made the hold-downs myself incorporating the Sturdee Knob.:)

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/8568/drillpresstable3internetqualit.jpg