PDA

View Full Version : Heating options

Sir Stinkalot
27th May 2006, 07:36 PM
We currently have an old gas wall furnace on an internal wall which is on its last legs. The frame is falling apart, the thermostat only works on high, and the fan also only works on high (when it wants to). We only heat the one room so and we don't plan on being here for long so ducted and hydroponic (?) are out.

The heater is mounted on an internal wall at the moment.

We are thinking it is time to let it rest. There seem to be few options ....
1. Replace this unit with a new style wall furnace ($1200) looks OK.
2. Replace the unit with a Rinnai Energy Saver unit that will require moving to an external wall to flue ($1700+).
3. Install a split system air con reverse cycle.
4. Install a Nobo panel type electric system.

I was always under the impression that gas was the go but if you read the limited information on the Rinnai site they make it quite clear now that there is no real difference in running costs between the gas or electric.

We will need to weigh up installation costs, purchase costs and running costs to find the best unit. It will be used from about 7.00-11.00pm mon-fri and most weekend (the Stinkette likes it hot).

We have an old box style air con in the same room that gets used at most twice a year so there is no huge benefit of going the reverse cycle air con but it isn't out of the question.

I would be interested in hearing the views of others who have had a similar dilemma.

Ashore
27th May 2006, 07:43 PM
I think that for heating option 3 is the cheapest to run, unless you get your fuel ie wood for free.
It certainly is the most efficient.

Rgds

Sir Stinkalot
27th May 2006, 07:52 PM
Interesting .... we also have a wood fire in the same room however it is not all that practical when you really only need heat for a few hours a night.

Rossluck
28th May 2006, 07:53 AM
I'd be going for the reverse cycle AC for instant heat blowing into the room, and when the sterility of the AC became too much, I'd light up that wood fire.

Up here we only turn the heat on for about 1 hour a day. It sounds like heaven, but I'm a cold weather person and I hate the long summers....

DarrylF
28th May 2006, 08:24 AM
We just bought a new house (new to us anyway), so I've been contemplating the same question.

I've always loved slow combustion wood fires, and the idea of actually using all the wood scrap I generate in the workshop is appealling - so that's an option.

Ducted air is my second option. Going on the energy ratings and running cost comparisons though, it's significantly more expensive - but you do get the benefit of winter cooling as well.

I think for my money it's probably going to be both. Ducted air for instant heat and summer cooling, slow combustion for sustained winter heating.

Of course, I am thinking now about how to set up a house we're just moving into, so we'll be getting the benefits for a number of years at least.

Sir Stinkalot
28th May 2006, 07:14 PM
I've always loved slow combustion wood fires, and the idea of actually using all the wood scrap I generate in the workshop is appealling - so that's an option.

Darryl,

We also have a slow combustion wood fire in the same room .... it really depends on your lifestyle if they are of much use. As we don't get home from work most nights until 7.00pm or so the fire is out. They are good for wet weekends where there is nothing else to do but vege out with some movies.