PDA

View Full Version : Next Box

KRH
28th May 2006, 03:29 PM
Hi All
Thought I would post my latest for comment.

This box was an experiment more than anything. Firstly, I wanted to get away from the usual where every cut is a square cut and, secondly, to attempt wooden hinges. Here is the result.

Pine Box with Jarrah Trim and Inlaid Veneer
(230x160x80mm with 30 deg angled sides)

Hinges. I reviewed the Gifkins hinge method (instructions available for download from Roger's site), but decided to try a different method. I cut small lengths of Jarrah and Tas Oak thicknessed to about 3mm. After making a small drilling jig, I drilled pin holes individually in each piece, assembled the pieces with bamboo skewers as the hinge pins and then glued and clamped the completed hinges. Sanding and cutoff to final size then followed. I found this quick and easy to do, and the result is not bad IMHO.

Box. Working with angled cuts was interesting. I found that I needed to make several jigs to securely hold the box for many of the angled cuts. Without this, small inconsistencies during cutting against the saw fence was enough to ruin the precision that I wanted.

Finish. A couple of coats of shellac followed by sanding down through the grits to 2000, with organ oil for the final sandings brought up the smooth satin finish I wanted.

Regards
Ken

chrisb691
28th May 2006, 03:46 PM
Hi Ken,

Scroll down the posting screen, and there is a button marked 'Manage Attachments'. You can can browse for pics on your pc, but they must be less than 100kb. Don't forget to press the 'Attach' button.

KRH
28th May 2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks Chris. I was aware of that, but for some reason the pictures once loaded to the server would not appear. Managed by deleting them from the forum server and uploading again.

Regards Ken

Sculptured Box
28th May 2006, 04:48 PM
Ken

I think you've got a Winning design there - well done!

There is a lot to like about the design and craftsmanship.

Tony Ward

DPB
28th May 2006, 05:01 PM
Special! I like the originality, particularly the rounded corners which give the box a softer look than one with hard edges. I think that we dismiss Pine too quickly, the contrast it acheives against the Jarrah is lovely. It's hard to determine from the picture; are the interior walls perpendicular? Nice work, Ken!:)

chrisb691
28th May 2006, 05:24 PM
Nice box, which is certainly 'different'. The hinges look great, and I'll have to look at them for the box I'm working on now.

KRH
28th May 2006, 07:17 PM
Special! I like the originality, particularly the rounded corners which give the box a softer look than one with hard edges. I think that we dismiss Pine too quickly, the contrast it acheives against the Jarrah is lovely. It's hard to determine from the picture; are the interior walls perpendicular? Nice work, Ken!:)

The interior follows the exterior slope. I was not sure how this would look in the flesh, but it has turned out quite interesting. I may go ahead and line the box. It really was a sacrificial experiement, but SHMBO likes it so I think I'll have to keep it.

Thanks for the comments. Appreciated. Now, what's next.....?

Regards

Ken

Wood Butcher
28th May 2006, 07:43 PM
This box was an experiment more than anything. Firstly, I wanted to get away from the usual where every cut is a square cut and, secondly, to attempt wooden hinges. Here is the result.

Definately a very successful experiment KRH. Well done and can't wait to see your next experiment.

BobR
28th May 2006, 09:01 PM
The design looks great Ken. Nice colour match - I can se why SWMBO wants to keep it.

Harry72
28th May 2006, 09:20 PM
Agree with the others, nice experiment!
I like the hinges well thought out.

zenwood
28th May 2006, 11:15 PM
Interesting mix of timbers in a nice design. When you say 'pine', is that radiata?

Tapered mitres must have been very fiddly to cut. Did they come straight off the tablesaw?

Be interested to see more detail on how you made the hinges. WIP shots would be good...

KRH
28th May 2006, 11:44 PM
Interesting mix of timbers in a nice design. When you say 'pine', is that radiata?

Tapered mitres must have been very fiddly to cut. Did they come straight off the tablesaw?

Be interested to see more detail on how you made the hinges. WIP shots would be good...

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, it is Radiata. As an experiment, I grabbed what I had at hand. And yes, the angle cuts and tapers did prove troublesome. Recuts resulted in the box being a little smaller than originally envisaged. The main problem is that when running an already cut angle along a saw fence (eg. to make another angle cut on a different edge), the thin, already cut, angular edge does not provide a confident guide. I ended up making a few simple jigs to get the precision in the cuts. I am a fan of jigs and have been known to engineer a simple jig to make even one cut.

I will be making a set of hinges soon so I will photograph the steps and post here. Jigs required here as well, but they are very simple.

Regards

Ken

Hickory
29th May 2006, 03:15 AM
Very interesting design you have there. Very attractive. Its fun to think outside the box when you make a box.

Thanks for the posting, created some interesting design thoughts.

labolle
29th May 2006, 04:03 AM
I think I'll have to try that one...

zenwood
29th May 2006, 08:24 AM
... I ended up making a few simple jigs to get the precision in the cuts. ...

I will be making a set of hinges soon so I will photograph the steps and post here. Jigs required here as well, but they are very simple.

Ken: I look forward to seeing your hinge photos (and if you can take one or two of your jigs I'd be really interested because a tapered mitred box in on my "must try one of those" list).:)

TTIT
29th May 2006, 09:55 AM
Excellent bit of work Ken. Love the hinges - works really well with the same contrast as the box timbers.

RufflyRustic
30th May 2006, 12:37 PM
Ken, this is an amazing design and brilliant end result! I must say it challenges me and makes me a bit uncomfortable - goodness knows why:confused: , but it's still very impressive. I am not and will not be attempting mitres and splines like you have, no way!!!!! I'll leave that to those who can, like you:)

Please please would you post more pics of your hinges? Wooden hinges is something I'd like to get into one day.

What are you working on now? Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Thanks
Wendy

Bob38S
30th May 2006, 02:45 PM
Hi KRH,
never really been into "boxes" however your masterpiece has taken my interest - well done and thanks for sharing.
Bob

:D:D:D

KRH
30th May 2006, 05:26 PM
Hi All

You are very generous with your comments. Thank you.

I have been asked for photos of the jigs used. They really are very simple.

This first jig was used to cut the slots for the corner inlays. The box had to sit perpendicular to the saw blade. So the cradle in this jig is cut to an angle to accommodate this. The box was held in the cradle which sat in the saw bench sled and passed over the blade for each slot. The corners were rounded after assembly using a linisher and hand shaping.

This second jig was used to hold each side at the correct angle to the saw bench fence to achieve the angled mitre cuts on each corner of the box. These are compound-angled cuts.

The last jig was used to drill the pin holes in each piece making up the hinge components.

These are very simple jigs that only take a few minutes to make. Well worth the effort to achieve accuracy for unusual cuts.

I am currently making a wooden hinge and taking photos of each stage. I should be able to post these in the next day or so.

Regards

Simomatra
30th May 2006, 06:14 PM
Well done Ken another nicely designed box. Love the hinges also like your jig for cutting the keys

labolle
31st May 2006, 01:04 AM
Hinges. I reviewed the Gifkins hinge method (instructions available for download from Roger's site),

Could you give the URL for Roger's site? I'd love to learn more about how the wooden hinges are done and don't have any idea who Roger is.

THanks.

David L.

KRH
31st May 2006, 06:22 AM
Could you give the URL for Roger's site? I'd love to learn more about how the wooden hinges are done and don't have any idea who Roger is.

THanks.

David L.

Hi David. Roger Gifkins makes and sells an excellent dovetail jig (search the forum and you will find plentry of posts) and he a very accomplished box maker. Here is his site, scroll down to find the hinge download, as well as other interesting material.

http://www.gifkins.com.au/