PDA

View Full Version : Bookcase and new wood storage rack

j.stevens
28th May 2006, 08:01 PM
Though I'd share with you folks a couple of my latest projects. I got sick of looking for timber so made myself some shelves 6 - now 7since this pic was taken. Very simple four hardwood verticals anchored to the garage/workshop back wall then ordinary curtain rod protruding around 430mm and all set to an equal slightly upward angle.
Then the simple bookcase from Australian Woodsmith Mag. out of Western red cedar and finished with several coats of Danish Oil.
Currently working on turning now absent daughter's old bedroom into a library- hopefully I'll be able to put up the evidence shortly as stage three is nearning completion. Then I'll be able to find my books at long last - a long overdue project here in Brisbane.:)

j.stevens
28th May 2006, 08:07 PM
Realise now I should have put this up in the Pics section. Get it right next time-sorry!

aabb
28th May 2006, 08:20 PM
Two great jobs --well done
Albert

Wood Butcher
28th May 2006, 08:43 PM
Realise now I should have put this up in the Pics section. Get it right next time-sorry!

Easy Fix.:cool: Great Work BTW.:D

BobR
28th May 2006, 08:52 PM
Nice work on the bookshelf.

I read somewhere recently that one needs to be careful in using a wall to support wood storage racks. It appears that the load on the rack can quickly increase to a point that the wall will not be able to support it. Just mentioning it so that if necessary you can check out your structure. Just wish I had one.

j.stevens
29th May 2006, 09:11 AM
Yes you're right I did think of this. So the verticals are bolted to the steel wall framing - and I am not storing the heavier hardwoods on this. Thanks anyway

oges
29th May 2006, 09:44 AM
I like the bookshelf, thanks for showing.

Hillbillyworker
29th May 2006, 09:50 AM
Well done - they're some nice looking shelves!

RufflyRustic
30th May 2006, 12:33 PM
Verrry nice bookshelves. I hope you don't fill them in one hit :)

Hope you have fun filling your wood rack though - now that is pure fun:D

cheers
Wendy

TEEJAY
30th May 2006, 01:33 PM
Classy looking bookshelf - solid too :)