PDA

View Full Version : Old turning tools

davo453
28th May 2006, 10:14 PM
I'm going back to the UK in a few weeks (first time in 18 years), my dad inherited my granddads wood turning gear who taught me wood turning almost 30 years ago. Dad never caught the enthusiasm of wood turning and the tools have been rusting in a side shed ever since (lathe was sold).

Since then I've emigrated (20+ years ago) and have continued the craft/madness with far lighter gear. It has been so long that I can't remember how these tools were to use, but I know they were much heavier/thicker.

My question is (sentiment aside) will those 1950-60's tools be worth bringing back from a usability point of view, I am prepared to make my own judgment and pay the excess baggage but wanted other opinions, you can rest assured that they were state of the art for their day, granddad appreciated and could afford quality.

Cheers

Dave

Wood Butcher
28th May 2006, 10:18 PM
Chances are very high that if the tools were of high quality back then, then they would still be very good tools to use once they are cleaned up.

TurnedAround
29th May 2006, 06:18 AM
They are probably carbon steel and will need to be sharpened far more frequently than the High Speed Steel of todays tools. If the shipping is very much of an expense, and you really desire to get into turning as something more than a passing phase, I would advise purchasing your own HSS tools from a woodturning supply source.

If sentiment is a factor, as in the tools I inherited from my now deceased father, then pay the shipping and keep them for sentimental reasons.

OGYT
29th May 2006, 09:06 AM
Bring 'em back. You'll be glad you did, and won't have reason to regret not doing so, later.
OGYT

CameronPotter
29th May 2006, 10:01 AM
I LOVE heavy tools...

Get them and clean them up. Takes little time and while you will have to resharpen more often, it will be worth it.

Cam

davo453
29th May 2006, 10:32 AM
I have been turning on a quite regular basis for about 25 years so the phase is taking a long time to pass :)

So is the reason that todays tools are much thinner and lighter down to the cost of HSS? you wouldn't think it would be that much more expensive.

I think I'll probably bring most of the back but from memory there were maybe 30 chisels (time has a habit of exaggerating these things though) so it might cost a bit.

Cheers

Dave

Zed
29th May 2006, 11:03 AM
I think I'll probably bring most of the back but from memory there were maybe 30 chisels (time has a habit of exaggerating these things though) so it might cost a bit.

surface mail will fix that

hughie
29th May 2006, 11:15 AM
[
quote=Zed]surface mail will fix that[/quote]

Davo,

Zed is right, I have sent from the UK several heavy packages to Oz .It was cheap and a good service. Also I agree with OGYT by keeping them there will be no regrets later. :)
Consider this; If they are old they will most likely be of a very good quality and a very good brand.[if not famous ] Maybe HSS but not likley and so there fore carbon steel. But the age of them may make then a collectable item.

hughie

Jeff
29th May 2006, 03:44 PM
Ship em back. Nothing is as special as Family, and any ties to that should be treasured!

rsser
29th May 2006, 05:40 PM
Collectible eh?

I've got an old set of Sorby carbon steel turning tools. Will accept offers over $500 but be quick :D

They came in handy when I started turning seriously - spent about a month practising sharpening on a cheap GMC wet wheel without a jig. The edge lasted about 60 seconds on our hardwoods.

But if they're old and useless they must be a collectible.