PDA

View Full Version : Carba-Tec Electronic V/S Wood Lathe

Grizz
30th May 2006, 08:18 PM
Hi folks,
Has anyone had any experience with this lathe. Price seems reasonable compared to Technatool lathes.

Grizz.

Ozartisan
30th May 2006, 09:55 PM
I had a good look at it before I bought - ended up buying the DVR.
Depends when you want in a lathe. Spindle speeds on the CarbaTec are around 400 to around 2000 compared to 100 to 3500 on DVR.
I seem to remember there was no comparison in the finish of the castings.
I think the technology is quite different too with the DVR controller being quite intelligent - increasing power as load is applied with the tool.
Must have another close look at the CarbaTec unit to remind me why I didn't go for it at the time.
(I do love my DVR though!!)
Whatever you end up using - just have fun!!!:D

Bruce101
30th May 2006, 10:16 PM
I was in the market for wood lathes for the past 6/12 and looked hard at these, especially the electronic Carba-Tec.
For preference I would have the Teknatool however price was the deciding factor. I ended up with a Jet 1442 (at a very good price from Trend Tiimbers) and so far am very very happy with it.
As for the Carba-Tec electronic, I was advised to stay well away from it as there have been reported problems.

Incidently I have also bought a number of other items, Band Saw/Sander/Dusty etc from Carba-Tec and am so far happy with price, quality & service.

Good Luck.

Bruce

Fred in Tassie
30th May 2006, 11:09 PM
Hello Grizz

My Son has the Timbecon version of the V/S Lathe.

Keep your money, I don't believe that you would be pleased with this unit. Invest your hard earned on something that will better display your skills.

The head stock does not secure fully to the base and consequently you can move the head stock back & forth about 10mm each way. this results in an unbalanced piece, be it spindle or bowl type works. On this particular lathe anyway.

As mentioned previously the V/S setup is very basic, as compared to the DVR. The min speed of 400 RPM was also a pain.

My Son eventually gave up in frustration in the end. Timbecon replaced the origional head unit, but the same problems exist.

Not even a good boat anchor.

Cheers
Fred

Toasty
30th May 2006, 11:33 PM
The min speed of 400 RPM was also a pain.
Wow, that is bad. I was working a piece of out of round timber on the weekend and while the block didn't weigh much, maybe a kilo or two, I couldn't keep my DVR3000 stable above 290rpm (damn I love that fine control but really must dynabolt the lathe down). To have 400rpm as the STARTING speed, if that is right, no thanks! :eek:

hughie
31st May 2006, 01:15 PM
The head stock does not secure fully to the base and consequently you can move the head stock back & forth about 10mm each way. this results in an unbalanced piece, be it spindle or bowl type works. On this particular lathe anyway.

As mentioned previously the V/S setup is very basic, as compared to the DVR. The min speed of 400 RPM was also a pain.

Grizz,
I could not agree more with Fred. The above problems will only give a permanent headache and in the end you will buy another lathe. Thats two lathes to get one good one, sounds expensive to me.
I don't have a Carb-Tec one but have the same problems on an equivalent lathe. I have managed to over come them, but not with out some time and effort.

I had to add stepped pulleys and put a more sophisticated Inverter on. Lock the head stock with 10mmx 30mm grubs screw [x4]
This now gives me 200 to about 2800 or so. I had most of the gear on hand so it was not a big expense, just time and effort.

However to go out and buy this gear would put the $ value in excess of the DVR, without counting labour.
hughie

hingston
31st May 2006, 02:28 PM
Hello Grizz

My Son has the Timbecon version of the V/S Lathe.

Keep your money, I don't believe that you would be pleased with this unit. Invest your hard earned on something that will better display your skills.

My Son eventually gave up in frustration in the end. Timbecon replaced the origional head unit, but the same problems exist.

Not even a good boat anchor.

Cheers
Fred

Fred,

I have on of these lathes (actually a variant) the headstock is locked down by a overcenter arrangement and a detent ball in the bed and the headstock.

If you dont adjust this properly you will get the problem you discribed because it wont lock down. Look directley under the headstock and you will find a nyloc nut. Tighten this. Mine is adjusted and lock rock solid.

Let me know how you go PM me and I can step through over the phone if you like.

Like all things you get what you pay for. I moved from a home made lathe, made from square steel tube and a washing machine motor to one of these, boy did I notice a difference.

I suppose the largest item was a 20" x 3" hardwood platter, just take a bit of time to ensure you cut a clean circle with the bandsaw.

As for speed control , a bit slower would be nice, but when you set a speed it holds it with only a few RPM variance on load. No doubt it wont be my last lathe but I rate it as an excellent starter, fair intermediate lathe.

Grizz
31st May 2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Geuss I'll just have to save up a bit more. I'm currently using one of those cheap Chinese imports I bought from the local Total Tools shop, not bad but a 500 rpm starting speed and very underpowered 3/4hp motor. The DVR is my dream, but The Boss will have to be convinced before I could shell out the cash.

Grizz.