PDA

View Full Version : Simple Wooden Box Hinges

KRH
31st May 2006, 04:00 PM
Hi all.

Here it is. The atached .pdf file contains blow-by-blow instructions and photographs showing the making of simple wooden hinges like those below. Hope you find this useful. Overall, this hinge took less than an hour to make (not counting the time taken to photograph).

They really are simple so give it a go. ;)

Regards

BobR
31st May 2006, 05:00 PM
Nice one. Thanks for the step by step guide. Have a greenie

jmk89
31st May 2006, 05:12 PM
I gave you a greenie for the box and haven't spread enough luv around to give you another. So have a virtual greenie for this - I will have to try it when I do a hinged box.

Great info!!!

Simomatra
31st May 2006, 05:16 PM
I gave you a greenie for the box and haven't spread enough luv around to give you another. So have a virtual greenie for this - I will have to try it when I do a hinged box.

Great info!!!

Same thing here Ken.

Just starting to look at boxes myself. Great post. http://www.ubeaut.biz/bigok.gif

chrisb691
31st May 2006, 07:20 PM
And one from me. Many thanks for the detailed guide.:D

Buzza
31st May 2006, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the PDF, now to make myself a box. One to put a wine cask in, the 5 litre type.

Buzza.

All my friends drink beer, because they can't spell Cognac! - W. C. Fields

zenwood
1st June 2006, 12:16 AM
Brilliant stuff! Did you do anything special with the bamboo skewer? Gifkins recommends forcing them through a steel plate with a hole. Did you do this?

Also: do you do anything special to stop the skewer sliding out of the hinge?

Greenie from me for going above and beyond...

KRH
1st June 2006, 12:19 AM
Hi. No I didn't have to size the bamboo. Most are around 3 mm so I just select those that fit.

Hickory
1st June 2006, 01:27 AM
Another Greenie from me to you for the excellant tutoral. Simple procedure but takes some skillful thought to plan it out. :D

I was thinking about the glueup, Preventing the Barrel parts of the hinge from adhering from squeeze-out or messy fingers.... What about wax paper between or even a touch of finish (applied & dried) on the barrel section.... Or was this a problem?

banksiaman
1st June 2006, 09:16 AM
KRH,

Ken - nicely made box and the pdf file is well done, clear and concise
Thanks

Greenie on the way

Chris

KRH
1st June 2006, 09:18 AM
Another Greenie from me to you for the excellant tutoral. Simple procedure but takes some skillful thought to plan it out. :D

I was thinking about the glueup, Preventing the Barrel parts of the hinge from adhering from squeeze-out or messy fingers.... What about wax paper between or even a touch of finish (applied & dried) on the barrel section.... Or was this a problem?

Excellent idea. Hadn't thought of that but now you mention it, an easy solution. I had just not applied glue to the 3mm or so closest to the hinge and while this solves the problem of glue squeeze it does not allow very short hinges as you need to have a sufficient hinge flange to for the adhesive. Your solution solves that.

Wax paper may be a problem as the tolerances are tight, but what about a little wax applied to the hinge pin area. Doubles up as a hinge lubricant. I'll try it with the next lot.

Thanks for your additional thoughts.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st June 2006, 10:41 AM
Got the day off, so I'm trying it today.

Will let you know if 'tis as idiot proof as it seems. ;):D

Stuart
1st June 2006, 11:36 AM
19 posts, and Ken already has 4 bright green rep markers. Here's to a long successful time on the Ubeaut forums!

(And yes, I contributed a greenie as well - very stylish hinge, well presented instructions!)

Wild Dingo
1st June 2006, 12:23 PM
Well done Ken!! :cool:
Id seen that work of Gifkin and sorta blew it away in the hope of finding a more simpler way of achieveing the same result that is a wooden hinge... I will be heading out to the shed today so will have a burl at them then

Cheers!!

Carry Pine
2nd June 2006, 04:57 PM
I down loaded the instructions and then read the Gifkins hinge stuff and it made me think....(dangerous). Has anyone ever used slot a slot cutter or finger joint bit to do the same thing?
Carry Pine

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd June 2006, 07:34 PM
Well... I tried making the hinges and they came out like a charm. :) Pity that some idiot screwed up the box they were being made for. :o

CameronPotter
2nd June 2006, 07:54 PM
Post a piccie then...

Or at least a close up of the hinges. :D

chrisb691
2nd June 2006, 09:03 PM
Well... I tried making the hinges and they came out like a charm. :) Pity that some idiot screwed up the box they were being made for. :o
I've not had any time to do anything lately. Please pm me 1 dozen hinges.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd June 2006, 09:47 PM
I'll swap you: a pair of hinges for a box... ;)

chrisb691
2nd June 2006, 10:04 PM
You could probably use a finger joint cutter like this http://www2.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=240_19228_19237_19230 , but the problem that I would see, is with drilling the hinge pin holes. Instead of going through one thickness, you now need to accurately drill the full width of the hinge. Plus, you lose the ability to contrast the segments.

scooter
2nd June 2006, 11:03 PM
Opportune time to put up again a solution for accurate drilling from one point to another.

Requires a drill press. I also use a corded or cordless drill and a bench grinder, you could make do with alternatives using a bit of thought.

Grab a nail such as a 2" or 3", and a drill bit of the same diameter. Cut the head and some of the shank off the nail, leaving about 30mm or so plus the point.

Chuck the remaining pointed piece of the nail in your corded or cordless drill, and rotate against a grinding wheel to sharpen the already pointed end to a nice centred point.

Next, grab the (matching diameter) drill bit, and chuck it in your drill press. Clamp securely to the table a piece of 18mm MDF or 19mm hardwood or similar (ensure this doesn't move until finished, check the table clamping bolt is done up also).

Turn on the drill, lower quill & drill a hole about 15mm into the MDF false table. Turn off drill press & insert the sharpened nail piece into the hole, point up. Lower quill of drill and limit drilling depth so the drill doesn't hit the sharpened nail.

Grab workpiece, and mark with an awl or similar both ends of the hole.

Turn on the drill press, locate the workpiece so that one of the dimples is on the sharpened nail, line up the drill bit with the upper dimple and carefully drill into the workpiece down to the depth stop.

Turn off drill, invert workpiece and fit newly drilled hole over the nail. Drilll the rest of the hole.

Done correctly, the holes will line up accurately.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers.................Sean

TTIT
3rd June 2006, 12:34 AM
Opportune time to put up again a solution for accurate drilling from one point to another.
Done correctly, the holes will line up accurately.
Hope this helps someone.
Cheers.................Sean
It will help me:) - if I remember it next time I need it:o:o:o Thanks Sean!

Hickory
3rd June 2006, 12:48 AM
A greenie weenie to you Scooter for that thought provoking rendition of a centering jig. How did you get my son's picture for the Avitar? :D

A-Marks
3rd June 2006, 09:24 AM
I haven't made many wooden hinges
BUT when i did it was my Triton finger joint making tool thingy jig that I used each time
and a "sanding method" (You should never be without one!!)

...about the jig though just about anything that allows you to index a cut will do the trick and there are lots of techniques around for doing finger joints using just that.

Wood Butcher
3rd June 2006, 01:28 PM
Amazing, such a briliant post yet no nominations for the Best of the Best!

KRH, Fantastic work, thanks for taking the time to document the process.
Oh, and I have put this post in the Best of the Best!

KRH
3rd June 2006, 02:54 PM
Amazing, such a briliant post yet no nominations for the Best of the Best!

KRH, Fantastic work, thanks for taking the time to document the process.
Oh, and I have put this post in the Best of the Best!

Many thanks. Truely an honour from such a fine group.

I have been thinking about the next version of "simple wooden hinges" which I think you will all be very interested in.
But ….. I won't reveal the method until I have "proved" it. If it works out (and I am sure it will), then I will do up another instruction sheet. These will be even easier to make, and give the ability to make much finer hinges.

Nothing like a little suspense, heh!:D

Thanks again to all for your kind comments.

keju
8th June 2006, 11:25 AM
Great........ had been looking for directions to make wooden hinges.
Only I had looked for doing them on the scroll saw... making them by cutting a fingerjoint pattern through the wood... but that wouldn't give me the very nice looking pattern you hinges have.

Thanks for sharing
Juvy

KRH
8th June 2006, 07:58 PM
Great........ had been looking for directions to make wooden hinges.
Only I had looked for doing them on the scroll saw... making them by cutting a fingerjoint pattern through the wood... but that wouldn't give me the very nice looking pattern you hinges have.

Thanks for sharing
Juvy

I faced the same dilema. How to manuafacture wooden hinges given the accuracy needed with the many existing methods. The process I developed seems to solve the problem. But I am working on an even simpler system. So watch this space.

Regards

keju
8th June 2006, 11:44 PM
you bet..... will keep my eyes glued to this space :eek:
Juvy

ddeen
9th June 2006, 01:07 AM
Sean - thanks for the tip.

KRH - Excellent post & lovely box. Maybe its obvious because nobody has asked. What I cant figure out is how the hinges are attached to the box (screws and glue ?).

KRH
9th June 2006, 09:15 AM
Sean - thanks for the tip.

KRH - Excellent post & lovely box. Maybe its obvious because nobody has asked. What I cant figure out is how the hinges are attached to the box (screws and glue ?).

Thanks for the compliment. The hinges are glued on. I do intend to inset the hinges on the next box. I think it would look nice to inset to the thickness of the back and top of the box ie. to try and integrate the hinges into the form of the box. I'll attempt a Sketchup of what I mean and post for suggestions.

KRH
9th June 2006, 11:31 AM
Here is an attempt to show what these hinges would look like inset into a box top and sides.

jmk89
9th June 2006, 12:04 PM
Ken,
I am assuming that the hinge is intended to be made from the same contrasting timber and that the apparently lighter section of the hinge fingers shown in the second picture at about the hinge line is simply a result of the drawing program you used. Or have you come up with a way to make the fingers out of the "main" timber?

In any event, it looks truly awesome and I look forward to seeing it put into effect.

A greeny on its way to you, if I can.
Cheers
Jeremy

KRH
9th June 2006, 01:50 PM
Ken,
I am assuming that the hinge is intended to be made from the same contrasting timber and that the apparently lighter section of the hinge fingers shown in the second picture at about the hinge line is simply a result of the drawing program you used. Or have you come up with a way to make the fingers out of the "main" timber?

In any event, it looks truly awesome and I look forward to seeing it put into effect.

A greeny on its way to you, if I can.
Cheers
Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy

The colour around the hinge line is a fucnction of the drawing program used (Sketchup). I love this program for conceptualising ideas, but I need a bit more practice.

You could make the hinges out of any timber desired, eg contrasting fingers using a mix of the trim timber (Jarah perhaps) and the box-proper timber (Oak perhaps).

ddeen
10th June 2006, 01:29 AM
Ken, your new hinge/box design looks great in cad. It will no doubt look even better in reality. I have attached a modified picture of a suggestion - just trying to complicate things for you...

Dennis

jow104
18th August 2008, 06:24 PM
Many thanks KRH, found my way to your box hinges via a google.

Making some art painting boxes and thought your hinge design would be a nice added touch.

Woodtec
21st August 2008, 05:03 AM
Here is a post that Jason Tuinstra posted on sawmill creek about a box he built and the link is for how to make the hinges, not to take away from Ken Hunter hinges they are really cool, but I thought everybody might want to see these as well since there seemed to be a interest on making wood hinges.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89728 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89728)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89894 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89894)

keju
21st August 2008, 07:09 PM
Everybody might also be interested in the book I found in our library recently.... it's absolutely fantastic.... really ..... I should have bought it! :)

Juvy

Woodtec
22nd August 2008, 12:46 AM
Hay, Juvy/Keju I can’t seem to find that book any were here in the USA do you have or can you get the ISBN # of the book it might help me to locate it here.(or even the publisher?) I did a Google search but came up short.:o
Thanks
Richard/ Woodtec

keju
22nd August 2008, 09:18 AM
Can I find it? Yes I can! lol ..... sorry couldn't help myself... love Bob the Builder... :roll:

Sterling Publishers: 1998
Paperback, 144 pp., $17.95
ISBN 0-8069-1335-5

You're right not much came up on google, but found a review that has all the information, it's not all that old 1998 , so your library should be able to get it for you if you can't buy it from a bookstore.

If you want to read the review:
http://www.woodcentral.com/books/bridgewater.shtml

Juvy

banksiaman
22nd August 2008, 09:20 AM
I tried Googling the words of the title and got approx 105000 entries.

try "making wood handles hinges knobs"

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Wood-Handles-Hinges-Knobs/dp/0806913355

Chris

keju
22nd August 2008, 09:33 AM
Hmmmm..... thought that's what I did.... I had added the authors names tho..... at any rate.... that's depressing..... it's out of print already and there seeem to be just 3 cheap ones left and all in the US..... by the time you add shipping..............

oh well.....

Juvy

Woodtec
22nd August 2008, 11:56 AM
[quote]Hmmmm..... thought that's what I did.... I had added the authors names tho..... at any rate.... that's depressing..... it's out of print already and there seeem to be just 3 cheap ones left and all in the US..... by the time you add shipping..............

oh well.....

Juvy

Thanks for the info on the book (ISPN # and publisher info) I will check with my library or new if I can’t get it there. I did the same thing and put the authors name in the search and nothing came up.:doh:

jow104
22nd August 2008, 05:18 PM
Amazon uk have got around 12 s/h but selling them above rrp.

watson
22nd August 2008, 05:30 PM
Have you tried www.alibris.com??

jow104
22nd August 2008, 06:04 PM
Have you tried www.alibris.com??

They are asking double retail price on a second hand book.

In fact just lately I think the book/publishing trade have software that traces book titles being bandied about by web users and possibly pricing accordingly.

I have had over 4 books priced at double retail price on web enquiries this year. Never had it before.

Cruzi
22nd August 2008, 10:07 PM
Single best source for books on the web is www.addall.com (http://www.addall.com), look in used and out of print area and it pulls up a heap of results allowing you to compare prices and shipping.
It searchs alibris, amazon, abebooks etc

http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/RefineRare.fcgi?id=080822040528913852 is search results for book mentioned

uidaa
27th August 2008, 12:34 PM
Great, I was looking for this instruction for long times. Many Thanks

munruben
8th September 2008, 12:23 PM
I had a go at making the hinge and was very pleased with my first attempt. Thanks KRH, :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

AUSSIE
10th September 2008, 01:36 PM
Yours look good to me John.
I will give it a go to,as soon as I have some time.
You have been a busy man.
Fighting pirates now hinges.
Next Wood Locks??
Great hinges guys
aussie