PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Carbatec vs Hafco vs Timbecon

inferno6688
31st May 2006, 06:26 PM
Hey guys,
I am going to buy a drill press this weekend at the WWW show.

at the moment i am leaning towards a benchtop model.

they are the main brands i have been looking at, is there any one of them that is particularly good? or are they largely the same? there also the GMC and Ryobi ones too.

Cheers:)

Auld Bassoon
31st May 2006, 07:02 PM
From the (admittedly rather basic) research that I did before I bought a floor-mounted radial arm drill press from Timbecon (ZQJ-3116-A ), it appeared to me that, at the general price point, that they were all pretty similar, and generally quite a bit above GMS or Ryobi.

Over the past year or so that I've had the machine, it has performed well against my expectations. My only major gripe is about the design and execution of the various clamping/locking fittings.

CameronPotter
31st May 2006, 07:06 PM
I have a Ryobi that I bought before I knew what I was doing - that's my excuse and I am sticking to it.

It is a beast which has easily drilled everything I have asked it to, but the chuck in not properly concentric, not by much, but you notice it for precision jewellery work.

Mind you, I may be able to fix that by using a different chuck as I think that it is the chuck rather than the entire drill that is the problem.

Other than that warning about Ryobi, I can't add more.

Cam

inferno6688
31st May 2006, 07:45 PM
Cam, which Ryobi do u have? the floor model or the little 5 speed bench one?

Cheers

DavidW
31st May 2006, 08:05 PM
TBO inferno unless you have a space or cash problem i'd go for a floor model. I have a Ryobi bench jobie and its far to restrictive. My next tool purchase will be a floor model drill press.

arose62
31st May 2006, 09:57 PM
I've had a HAFCO drill press for about 20-something years, and it's still going strong.

Cheers,
Andrew

Bruce101
31st May 2006, 10:14 PM
I have just purchased a Carba-Tec drill press (CH-16NF) floor model. I am most happy with its performance with heaps of room for long jobs.
Power (3/4hp) and speed variations (16) seem to be fine.

I have replaced a GMC with this press finding that the GMC I had was very limited and lacking in power for anthing but light hobby drilling.

The bench mounted model (CH-16N) has the same specs if you do not need the extra length. If you are using the drill for any serious work I would suggest against the GMC.

I have no knowledge of the other items mentioned but I would think the Ryobi is probably similar (possibly better quaity) than the
GMC.

Good luck
Bruzer.:rolleyes:

soundman
31st May 2006, 10:37 PM
For most woodworking things carbatec is all over H&F like a rash, however I believe H&F drill presses to be better value for money.
A drill press is a bread & butter metalworkers item & that is where H&F live.
Look carefully at the features, the motor size and get a look at the machine to "feel the quiaity".
I baught a rioby industrial a few years ago (12 speed) and its OK if a bit gutless. It is very similar to the H&F but has a smaller motor.
The lamp in the drill head is a great feature I would not be without, it puts the light right wheren needed without getting in the way.

cheers

NewLou
31st May 2006, 11:07 PM
Gidday inferno6688:)

The drill press is often an underated tool in the workshop but one you'll find your always going back to and infinately moreHandy than you initially expected.

Go a floor model for as much quality as you can afford (You get what you pay for) trust me you'll never look back.

The drill press can become a versatile beast particularly with a good auxilary table and aftermarket Sander, a few decent Brad & forstner bits, HOle cutters. The ability to mill aluminium other alloys/metals and its abiliity to help out with joinery make it a shop favourate.

REGards Lou:D

Chris Parks
31st May 2006, 11:46 PM
I think they are all much the same at that end of the market. The big thing is to check for chuck run out. Buy A floor standing unit, you won't regret it.

kiwigeo
1st June 2006, 12:02 AM
Hey guys,
I am going to buy a drill press this weekend at the WWW show.

at the moment i am leaning towards a benchtop model.

they are the main brands i have been looking at, is there any one of them that is particularly good? or are they largely the same? there also the GMC and Ryobi ones too.

Cheers:)

I went through the same decision a year ago and decided on a Carbatec bench mounted machine. Aussie Woodworking Review did a comparison of leading brands at the time and Carbatect rated well. I got the thing from MIK here in Adelaide. Chuck was spinning a bit off centre and MIK replaced the whole machine....cant beat that for service.

GMC...Ryobi. Id take a Carbatec over these machines.

Cheers Martin

CameronPotter
1st June 2006, 12:11 AM
Cam, which Ryobi do u have? the floor model or the little 5 speed bench one?

Cheers

It is 3/4 HP, 16 speed.

It is a beast, but it is technically speaking a bench model - because it is too short if placed on the floor. However, it is too tall if placed on a normal bench. It is some kind of in between thing. It has done everything I have needed (including drilling through very hard steel and very thick steel plate).

As I said before, my only complaint is the chuck is dodgy.

It has exactly the same specs as the floor model, but has a slightly shorter support rod.

Cam

Rookie
1st June 2006, 12:36 AM
While on the subject, can I get an opinion on whether those who have a drill press with a 50mm travel, wish that they had 65mm or 80mm. I have been looking with a view to buying down the track some. I guess a drill with 80mm travel is generally a more heavy duty drill so the benefits are not just in travel, but that aside, is 50mm too short?

CameronPotter
1st June 2006, 10:26 AM
I constantly use all of my travel (and it is definitely longer than 50mm - but I don't know what it is). Mind you, that is for drilling pen blanks.

Cam

soundman
1st June 2006, 11:53 AM
Running out of quill travel is a PITA, grubby low end matal workers generaly wouldn't have the problem, but grubby low end woodies do.

Drilling thry a 100mm something is not too much to expect but you will ususlay have to take two bites at it.

long quill travel is desirable, worth paying to get.

50mm quill travel:eek: no thanks.

cheers

CameronPotter
1st June 2006, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I think that mine is about 80mm come to think of it... Even then I sometimes find it restrictive. Maybe I am greedy though. :D

mat
1st June 2006, 02:02 PM
My advice would be to check out an individual machine for purchase. Do not order one.
Test for quill runout as there is no adjustment possible. Fully extend the quill, back off slightly and then see how much slop there is fore/aft, left/right etc
If there is slop look at another machine.

Iain
1st June 2006, 02:46 PM
Cam, before you blame the chuck, pull it out and give the MT a bit of a clean and do the same for the receiver, I have a 3/4 horse Ryobi floor model and the chuck was OK but the bearings were a bit wobbly.
Had them changed and its good as gold.
My other one is a Record bench top, weighs a ton but the huge chuck will grasp a 1mm bit happily.

CameronPotter
1st June 2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks Iain.

Maybe I will have to do that, but it was like that out of the box (I just assumed that was the way it was).

The taper seems to run true, but the chuck doesn't. I suppose that might be a problem with the morse taper fit, but if so, I think that it was like that from the start.

Still, worth a go.

Cam

Graham Sands
1st June 2006, 05:17 PM
I read the AWR test of presses and bought the recommended Carba-Tec, I liked the look and features.

Unfortunately it had run-out, (bit wobbles) nearly 1mm at the end of a 100mm long bit.

I took it back and they checked the chuck and taper which were OK and changed the head. The new one is not much better, I was told it was within tolerance.

I checked a Jet at Power Tools and Machinery it was perfect!

Harry72
1st June 2006, 08:02 PM
My next major purchase will be a new DP my Ryobi floor mount is junk(served me well tho...).
Thinking along the lines of a H&F PD26(big bastard), 1.5hp 12speed 120mm travel, price is good too.

inferno6688
1st June 2006, 08:39 PM
thanks for the advice guys!

I got some shopping to do! :)