PDA

View Full Version : mounting air filtration units

LuckyDuck
31st May 2006, 09:10 PM
I just bought the Jet ASF1500 and wonder how best to mount it in my shop (a.k.a. garage). I don't really want to hang it on chains as I don't have much head room (i.e. I want to get the unit up against the ceiling joists). But I'm worried about potential vibration/noise transfer into the bedrooms directly above... What have others done for mounting? Regards, Luckyduck

Chris Parks
31st May 2006, 11:13 PM
Could you use large rubber O'rings to isolate the noise and vibration? the plumbing dept in Bunnies should have some.

bitingmidge
1st June 2006, 12:44 AM
I used four large screw eyes, and one spring clip on each. The cheap gal types that they sell for dog chains or something.

All works well.

Cheers,

P

LuckyDuck
1st June 2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I might try to combine both of your suggestions. Luckyduck

soundman
4th June 2006, 11:44 PM
Rubber rings perish remember, you would be wise to keep an eye on them if you use them or better still add some 3mm stanless wire safety slings.

cheers

doug the slug
5th June 2006, 11:45 AM
Could you use large rubber O'rings to isolate the noise and vibration? the plumbing dept in Bunnies should have some.

I would advise checking around before buying plumbing supplies from bunnings. I did a cost comparison of the pipes and fittings i needed to build my ducting for the dusty. Bunnings prices were between 2 to 5 times more expensive than what i got from a professional plumbing supplies place

LuckyDuck
5th June 2006, 12:01 PM
I have mounted the filtration unit by bolting on some hardwood battens onto my ceiling joists and then bolting the unit to the battens. I did put on some rubber washers (they came with the unit) as a cushion. There is not much vibration transfer which is good.

However, the mounting bolts supplied are inadequate for the weight of the unit (I forget but on the order of 30kgs)! The bolts supplied are 6mm and there is no way to upgrade them since they screw directly into the chassis of the unit. In addition to the bolts, I have slung one "band clamp" around the middle of the unit (and up over both battens) so that I feel "safe" regarding walking under it. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Regards, Luckyduck

bitingmidge
5th June 2006, 03:09 PM
Lucky,
I don't know why you are worried about the supplied bolts, I've found them more than adequate.

The unit hardly vibrates in operation, and it really doesn't weigh enough to strain them!

Here is the pic of how I did it:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24503&d=1149480350
Cheers,

P
:D

LuckyDuck
5th June 2006, 06:04 PM
Lucky,
I don't know why you are worried about the supplied bolts, I've found them more than adequate.

The unit hardly vibrates in operation, and it really doesn't weigh enough to strain them!

Here is the pic of how I did it:

Cheers,

P
:D

Yeah, I know, paranoid and all that! Problem is I think I over tightened one of the bolts and it started to strip!...:eek: