PDA

View Full Version : laser engraving of pens

soundman
1st June 2006, 11:10 PM
I'm looking for some info on laser engraving of pens.

when do you do it ? is after finish OK
how much profile will the machines tolerate? my pens are often far from cylindrical.
do the engravers want them assembled or just the barel?
how much is being asked?
Any body got one on the south side of bris?

what about the results on diferent materials.

:D :confused: :confused: :D
cheers

Babytoolman
6th June 2006, 02:38 PM
Soundman, Look for a member called laser engraver.

Laser Engraver
7th November 2006, 10:20 AM
Hi Soundman .......

I can help for sure.... Sorry I could not post it earlier ...was too busy ...even did not check any post for last 4-5 months.... pls visit my weblink below and let me know if I could be of any assitance.....

Cheers.

soundman
7th November 2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your reply.
For me posting to sydney, i think would be unmanageable/ uneconomic but for people in the south.
I found a bloke in brisbane who seems to be OK.
Will be giving him a try some time shortly.

I have spoken to some of the "engraving companies".... BH they want to hit you for everything under the sun, quite high setup costs.. like $60 per job... change the words another $60... minimum runs and they even want to charge to take the pen out of the sleeve and put it back:eek:.
these blokes just arent interested.

cheers

lubbing5cherubs
7th November 2006, 11:25 AM
Hi Mate is it just a name you are after? Or more fancier because I know I got a name put on a pen by our local signwriter and then I just kept adding coats on top til it was flush.

that might be a closer idea than laser engraving because it appears to be ouchie in price and for pictures they like a huge fat pen
Toni

lasersolutions
8th November 2006, 04:52 AM
Hi All,
We charge $2.50 per pen to get laser engrave. min 50 units. With your supllied artwork/logo.

cheers. Tim

Stuart
8th November 2006, 10:22 AM
That's not bad, although the 50 units would be bloody hard - doesn't leave much room for unique, one-offs.

PenTurner
8th November 2006, 01:14 PM
I think the problem lies within our artistic craft, most of us would love to sell our pens and usually each pen is unique in design or structure, having individualized names etc on them would make them more marketable, but the equipment is too expensive, those that provide that service run businesses and require a minimum amount for a run, so it ends up not an economical propasition for the pen maker. I guess it leaves us with a local engraver or Pyography( burn it on yourself), It would be good to hear from those who have succeeded in burning on names, ie. how to do it? when to apply the heat? before or after a finish etc. Amos

rodent
10th November 2006, 01:28 AM
Why not see if you could get a stamp made up so every one knows its been made by you.

tashammer
10th November 2006, 02:14 AM
How about "Created by Soundman" (or whoever made the pen). Indicates you are both proud of your work and, i suppose, a type of advertising as in. "Hey, nice pen. Where did you get it?"

It occurs to me that the reason that it costs so much is the fiddly setting up; once one is setup then a run is easy.

Another problem, maybe, is the fact that the pens are not all alike in shape so positioning the laser head may be problematic.

Perhaps having the makers name on the pocket clip might be easier, do you think?

Laser Engraver
14th November 2006, 11:39 AM
How many pens do you need to engrave and are they all same or diffetent. Is it only text ? tell me and I will give you reasonable price