PDA

View Full Version : document box

Wardy
2nd June 2006, 12:17 PM
I used plans purchased from sydney wood show to make this doco box. timber is blackbean and I finished it with danish oil and beeswax.mortice and tenons and floating panels were used to make the box
L490 W270 H265

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=24340&stc=1&d=1149210751
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=24341&stc=1&d=1149210787
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=24342&stc=1&d=1149210825

Simomatra
2nd June 2006, 12:25 PM
Very nice Wardy

Nice looking box there

Lignum
2nd June 2006, 12:38 PM
Wardy, thats a ripper:D well done. I see that as a family heirloom. Blackbean is one of my favourite timbers. Just plain beautifull. How did you go with it? any reactions with your breathing and/or skin?

rimmer
2nd June 2006, 12:39 PM
Very nice ! What are the approximate dimensions ?

Also, wasn't the Sydney WW show on last weekend ? If so, You sure don't muck around.

Wardy
2nd June 2006, 12:52 PM
Wardy, thats a ripper:D well done. I see that as a family heirloom. Blackbean is one of my favourite timbers. Just plain beautifull. How did you go with it? any reactions with your breathing and/or skin?

thanks, thats what i intend doing, handing it down through the family.found it good to work and yes the dust did irritate my nose but not my skin
Cheers Wardy

Wardy
2nd June 2006, 12:55 PM
Very nice ! What are the approximate dimensions ?

Also, wasn't the Sydney WW show on last weekend ? If so, You sure don't muck around.

2004 I purchased the plans( this years show is 2-4 June) Sizes L490 W270 H265
Cheers Wardy

labolle
2nd June 2006, 01:19 PM
I like. I like.

keith53
2nd June 2006, 01:29 PM
Good stuff Wardy. Very neat work.

chrisb691
2nd June 2006, 01:47 PM
Very Nice!!.:cool:

Carry Pine
2nd June 2006, 04:54 PM
Wardy, well done. Looks like it's built to last. Do you put a message on your stuff like built in .... by.... for.....?
I'm finding stamps, signatures and addresses on old furniture that I'm doing up. Sure makes it special when you find stuff like that.
Carry Pine

Auld Bassoon
2nd June 2006, 07:50 PM
Super work Wardy! That document box is a lovely thing; well done indeed http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Andy Mac
2nd June 2006, 07:57 PM
Yep, nice work there Wardy, looks really slick. Blackbean does come up nice doesn't it?!, and it gets that sapwoody light colour coming through.

Cheers,

Harry72
2nd June 2006, 09:39 PM
Quality work Wardy!

KRH
2nd June 2006, 11:18 PM
Very, very nice. Aren't boxes just wonderful.

TTIT
3rd June 2006, 01:33 AM
Awesome stuff Wardy. Beautifully finished too:). Well worth some green!:D

tonysa
3rd June 2006, 02:10 AM
beeeautiful box wardy !
i like the legs
blackbean eh ? must give it a try, comes up very well.

Tex79
3rd June 2006, 11:02 AM
Wow!! What fantastic box.:D

DPB
3rd June 2006, 11:22 AM
Wardy - everything that has already been said, plus! I have always loved boxes with rounded edges. It softens the look and, in my opinion, makes them look more tactile. This is a beautiful piece of work - one that any woodworker would be proud of.

Only one comment - the chain distracts from the look. The picture shows the chain slack with the lid standing upright. Does the lid go farther back, or is the chain too long? In my opinion, a hidden hinge stop or a mortised brass lid retainer would have been perfect for this box.

Oh, one more thing, the key escutcheons looks super. From where do you get these?

Show us more!:)

Wardy
3rd June 2006, 12:52 PM
Wardy - everything that has already been said, plus! I have always loved boxes with rounded edges. It softens the look and, in my opinion, makes them look more tactile. This is a beautiful piece of work - one that any woodworker would be proud of.

Only one comment - the chain distracts from the look. The picture shows the chain slack with the lid standing upright. Does the lid go farther back, or is the chain too long? In my opinion, a hidden hinge stop or a mortised brass lid retainer would have been perfect for this box.

Oh, one more thing, the key escutcheons looks super. From where do you get these?

Show us more!:)

Thanks Don and to all for your kind words, I'm humbled.The lid can open to horizontal and I agree a brass retainer would be the way to go. That's next on the shopping list. The escutcheons were purchased from Keeler Hardware, (Wollongong) who specialize in architectural hardware
Cheers Wardy