PDA

View Full Version : is this too rude for a t shirt

dadpad
4th June 2006, 09:33 PM
Friend in the states runs a sawmill hardwood lumber supply the T shirt is a give away on their annual customer thanks and apreciation day. Is it suitable

dadpad
4th June 2006, 09:38 PM
ok so now that you have been warned

Stuart
4th June 2006, 09:47 PM
Oh wait - I meant 'no' as is no, it is not appropriate, not 'no' as in it is not too rude... buggered this one up :(

Too many wifes, girlfriends etc would not like this coming home. It is funny, but not to the wider community these days.

Would tick "only if I get a free one" but I don't want to be castrated (yet).

Master Splinter
4th June 2006, 10:02 PM
Ditch the cheezy-sleazy 60's pic (it's there because Americans just can't force themselves to do double entendre humor deadpan...they think someone might miss the joke), and just run with the punchline and your business name.

Ditching the pic will mean you can print it as one colour, so you will save a bunch on your print setup costs assuming you are getting them silkscreened. Punchline and business name only means you can print more and they are not restricted to this one giveaway opportunity only (you can use them at christmas too)

I'll have an XXL thanks.

dadpad
5th June 2006, 01:38 AM
I would encorage further comment on this even if you feel you are just echoing previous comments.

Wild Dingo
5th June 2006, 02:04 AM
Id go one ;) But without the stupid blonde... and the companies logo

Saw one at the mine simply said on the front "F..K OFF" and on the back "Yeah you sh......d"... cant for the life of me understand why anyone would want such a pathetic crass t shirt :rolleyes:

But something like that has the element of humor... which I appreciate! :cool:

dadpad
5th June 2006, 03:44 AM
my daughter (18) has a t shirt that has

................look up and live.

across the chest.

shes a feisty one that lil girl.

ele__13
5th June 2006, 07:28 AM
in a previous life i had one that i had worn as Jarmies on "go to work in jamies day" explaining that mt breasts are deaf and wont talk to you , but if you talk to my face i will " as i said previous life and i dodnt own shirt any more ... some shirts i think shouldnt leave home others crack me up !!!! number 3 son has the ability of wearing nordy shirts and getting away with it
" the latest one i saw on him was "If no one will play with you go play with your self " He is one of those people that will just smile at you and u just shrug shoulders and he gets away wiff it !!!!!

his older 2 brothers dont wear those kinda shirts on e would loose his job as the people he works for overseas wouldnt understand and the other ones better half would spank him !!
its got to the stage i wonder wats going to appear next but i can cope ..... cheers all jules

Buzzer
5th June 2006, 07:54 AM
Great idea .

I like it. It gets my attention!!

Cheers:)

Daddles
5th June 2006, 09:07 AM
America has a massive puritanical streak that is nowhere near as strong here in Australia ... and you're asking Australians to comment on a product for America :confused: I honestly can't see that our opinions have much relevance. Sorry.

Now, the t-shirt itself. If the company is willing to advertise itself with cheap cliches, go ahead. It's funny in its own way, but doesn't show any imagination and so isn't a good advertisment for the firm. Sorry, but you wanted my opinion on an advertising campaign.

Richard

bitingmidge
5th June 2006, 09:17 AM
No, it's not rude at all.

It's cheap, obvious, very unfunny, not clever, and indicates to me that the business concerned hasn't got an original thought, or isn't willing to pay for professional marketing assistance.

But it's not too rude.

Cheers,

P:rolleyes:

DanP
5th June 2006, 09:54 AM
Saw a bloke walking down the street one day with a large C word printed across the front of his shirt. I was impressed. (not)

Dan

keith53
5th June 2006, 09:57 AM
Ditch the cheezy-sleazy 60's pic (it's there because Americans just can't force themselves to do double entendre humor deadpan...they think someone might miss the joke), and just run with the punchline and your business name.

Ditching the pic will mean you can print it as one colour, so you will save a bunch on your print setup costs assuming you are getting them silkscreened. Punchline and business name only means you can print more and they are not restricted to this one giveaway opportunity only (you can use them at christmas too)

I'll have an XXL thanks.

I agree. The idea's been done to death:D

bitingmidge
5th June 2006, 10:06 AM
Saw a bloke walking down the street one day with a large C word printed across the front of his shirt. I was impressed. (not)

Yep,

"Crap" was banned in our household too.

P
:D

Andy Mac
5th June 2006, 10:10 AM
Hardwood over there isn't half as hard as ours...:rolleyes:

Bodgy
5th June 2006, 10:11 AM
Gotta go with the flow here. It's not very rude, but I doubt it's gonna work, cause:

1) Its a novelty T shirt, no-ones going to wear it around, maybe just the once. Therefore you wont get the exposure for your business that you want
2) The punch line is so old, how long has Mae West been dead? Everyone's heard it and countless variations, ad nauseum

I'd suggest that using the money you budgeted for the expensive printing required, you up the quality of the shirt to a stage people will wear the garment around. Lose the joke, retain your logo. Make it quality and tasteful.

What you're about here is marketing - customer retention and accquisition. T shirts are good, but there are other corporate gifts that would work as well, ie sports bags, coffee mugs (forget caps they're done to death) Have a look at the corporate gift sites on the net.

Finally have a think about your existing customers and the new ones you wish to accquire. What would they like? Put yourself in their shoes, what would you accept and use/wear regularly? This is not only about a 'loyalty' programme, but about free publicity when the 'thing' gets worn or used out in the wider community.

Finally, its about bang for the buck. Wiegh up the cost benefit. How much new business do you expect this exercise to get you? Does it cover the costs?

You may end up doing nothing!

As in all marketing exercises, measure, measure, measure. If you go ahead with something make sure you find out if it works. Ask new customers how they found you etc. Without measuring the effect of amy marketing exercise you are simply pizzing your $$ up against a wall.

Sorry its a bit of a lecture. Good luck

bookend
5th June 2006, 03:20 PM
I think the only response it will get is a quick read, a shrug, "gee that wasn't funny" and then it will be ignored. The person wearing it had better not be hoping for a laugh.

I don't think anyone would wear it more than once.:confused::o

dadpad
5th June 2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks all for the comments, probably generally reflect my opinions.

All excellent thoughts bodgy I will pass them on.

rrich
6th June 2006, 03:23 PM
I don't think that I would wear that "T" shirt even once. It is cute, amusing and tackey but not rude. I think that the word is inappropriate.

I think the way to answer your question is: Would you wear that "T" shirt when dropping off or picking up your child at school?

Kev-in Melb
7th June 2006, 07:49 AM
No ….I would ware one that reads … I‘m selling these for medical science”

:D

ernknot
7th June 2006, 08:11 AM
If their hardwood is half as hard as ours then he must be just half glad to see her...