PDA

View Full Version : Getting pen ends the right diameter

Iain
5th June 2006, 10:14 AM
I am starting to make some Xmas pressies, pens and keyrings, I have the mounting jig(?) with a morse taper, slide on the pen blank with brass tube glued in and spin away.
I get to the same diameter as the ferrule holding the blank in place and I can't turn any more because this is in the way, trouble is it's about 1mm larger than the pen fittings and looks a bit silly when put together.
Any ideas for someone who is not a turner to vercome this problem.

CameronPotter
5th June 2006, 11:41 AM
Use the right bushings?

Sorry, but the point of the bushing is to make it exactly the right diameter.

My guess is that you are using the wrong bushings - or maybe you aren't quite getting all the way down to the bushing?

I would try to be more helpful, but I haven't ever had this problem so I can't think of how to fix it.

Cam

Iain
5th June 2006, 11:44 AM
Not being a turner, do you mean there are other bushings available rather than what I have?

CameronPotter
5th June 2006, 11:59 AM
Yep. Every pen kit has a different set of bushings. What pens are you making and what (colour) bushings are you using?

Cam

Iain
5th June 2006, 12:03 PM
Bushings are transparent and the pen kts are about 5 years old that I rediscovered, don't know what they are as there are no markings on the bag.
I found two metal bushings yesterday but might just have to give Jim Carroll a call and get some kits and bushings.
The tubes are 7mm, if that helps (read I drill 7mm holes in the blanks for a tight fit).

CameronPotter
5th June 2006, 12:34 PM
Never seen transparent bushings.

The kit would be what is usually called a slimline.

I suspect that the metal bushings would work better. You can trial fit them by putting the bushing up against the pen fittings and see if it all lines up properly - if so, then you have the right size bushing - if not, then it is wrong.

The mandrels you get these days come with silver bushings for slimlines and black bushings for Euros (also called Mont Blanc style). The other bushings have to be bought.

Cam

lubbing5cherubs
5th June 2006, 02:03 PM
Never seen transparent bushings.

The kit would be what is usually called a slimline.

I suspect that the metal bushings would work better. You can trial fit them by putting the bushing up against the pen fittings and see if it all lines up properly - if so, then you have the right size bushing - if not, then it is wrong.

The mandrels you get these days come with silver bushings for slimlines and black bushings for Euros (also called Mont Blanc style). The other bushings have to be bought.

Cam

I been using the silver bushing which came with my mandrel and I have not yet got them down right either. But Cam Since you know so much about the Mandrel can you tell me what that pipe fitting looking piece is for
Toni

CameronPotter
5th June 2006, 02:23 PM
I assume you mean the brass thingy - no idea. :D

I have been told that it is some kind of collet thing, but I didn't understand the explanation and I have never needed it, so I haven't worried about it. I suspect that it is to lock off on your mandrel so that you can do shorter turnings (i.e. one barrel at a time). It would work by locking onto the mandrel (on the headstock side of the blank), then you slip on your bushings and your blank then tighten with the knurled nut.

However, I prefer to work close to the headstock to minimise vibration, so I just put in a few extra bushings/pen blanks that I didn't like as spacers.

Cam

Iain
5th June 2006, 02:50 PM
Never got the brassy thing with mine, just the mandrel, 3 bushes and the knurled nut, of course the morse taper.
Never ahd any vibration issues though, but it is a heavy cast iron bed, only if it is under a metre long, still go bright red and promise myself a hernia whenever I move it.

CameronPotter
5th June 2006, 03:07 PM
Less talking about lathe vibrations than the mandrel itself flexing. Thus, I like to work nearest to the largest support - i.e. near to the taper.

Cam

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th June 2006, 11:20 PM
It's not an expansion collet is it?

ie. when end pressure's applied (via bushes/knurled nut) the middle doesn't expand/bow outwards? This sorta thing is used for working on a blank that ya don't want to permanently glue a brass tube into. You use this instead and remove it after turning.

CameronPotter
6th June 2006, 02:52 PM
I don't know. I haven't looked at it much really... But as you only get one of them I suspect not. :confused:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th June 2006, 05:02 PM
I don't know. I haven't looked at it much really... But as you only get one of them I suspect not. :confused:

It's reusable... that's the whole purpose. You don't throw away any other collet's after one job, do you? :eek:

fxst
6th June 2006, 05:50 PM
you was almost right Skew
the brass thingy is used when turning only 1/2 the pen or a keyring so that it clamps up. Basicaly put you single tube up to the first bush put on the second bush slip on the brass bit and tighten it then turn your keyring etc. :D
as to the bushes I ended up making a couple brass ones as they are softer when the chisel touches them but the supplied silver ones were the right size.
Pete

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th June 2006, 05:55 PM
I wonder why they bothered including it then? All it takes is another spare pen-tube slipped between the bushes... then again, being poor, broke pen-turners we probably wouldn't have anything like that lying around would we?

:D:D

CameronPotter
6th June 2006, 08:10 PM
Hah! What do you know... I was right. :D

Cam

soundman
6th June 2006, 11:36 PM
If you don't have mathcing bushings or you dont want your pen to be the same diameter as the bands you can

start work after roughing with parting slices down to he edge of the bushings with the point of the skew. this will give you a chamfer

I do this when I want a flared finger grip or a particularly fat pen on standard bands.
cheers

lubbing5cherubs
7th June 2006, 12:45 AM
you was almost right Skew
the brass thingy is used when turning only 1/2 the pen or a keyring so that it clamps up. Basicaly put you single tube up to the first bush put on the second bush slip on the brass bit and tighten it then turn your keyring etc. :D
as to the bushes I ended up making a couple brass ones as they are softer when the chisel touches them but the supplied silver ones were the right size.
Pete
Cool thanks Pete. I was curious thanks Toni

bdar
7th June 2006, 06:11 PM
Another way to solve the problem is do 3 key rings at the same time. You always have spare slimline bushes laying about.
Cheers
Darren