PDA

View Full Version : Lettering with router

Breslauer
6th June 2006, 01:44 AM
Greetings, I am looking for plans to build a pantograph that would allow me to carve lettering in a plaque, using my router. If anyone has a link to a site that gives information or plans it would be very much appreciated

Breslauer

rod1949
6th June 2006, 11:35 AM
What I have done for one off's is to cut a template of the word out of thin MDF, Ply, Masonite etc to suit my router guide. I've also pencilled the word out and then routered it freehand, bit slow, but it has character.

BobR
6th June 2006, 02:06 PM
Same as rod1949. Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the template follower. You can also create the lettering on the computer using the many fonts available, then transfer these to the template material.

powderpost
6th June 2006, 10:09 PM
Have a look here....
http://users.hubwest.com/hubert/mrscience/pantograph.html
A change of materials and a few modifications might solve your problem?
Jim

Barry_White
6th June 2006, 10:53 PM
Bunnings sell a Pantograph that actually has a set of letters and numbers that go with it. The brand I think is Vermont.

Breslauer
7th June 2006, 05:45 AM
Thank you Rod 1949,Bob, Jim and Bazza for your reply and suggestions.
My problem is that the plaque I'm carving will have small lettering to go on a cross for a baby's grave. I can't find anything that would mount a Dremel tool with a small engraving bit.
I have for the past few days practiced carving letters by hand and am getting better at it, so I guess I'll carve the letters and perhaps trace them with my Dremel, freehand.
Again, thank you so much, Breslauer

mailee
7th June 2006, 06:05 AM
I often make signs freehand for people and find it easy the more you do. here is a link to an explanation of how to do it. http://www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?t=2617&page=2&pp=10&highlight=sign+making

Breslauer
7th June 2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the link Mailee, very interesting forum. Just finished browsing through it and had to tear myself away. Will try some of the suggestions in there.
Breslauer

Barry_White
7th June 2006, 08:37 AM
Thank you Rod 1949,Bob, Jim and Bazza for your reply and suggestions.
My problem is that the plaque I'm carving will have small lettering to go on a cross for a baby's grave. I can't find anything that would mount a Dremel tool with a small engraving bit.
I have for the past few days practiced carving letters by hand and am getting better at it, so I guess I'll carve the letters and perhaps trace them with my Dremel, freehand.
Again, thank you so much, Breslauer
Just noticed you are in Canada, so Bunnings would be absoloutly useless to you any way.

In my town there is a Boot Repairer who does engraving like that and actually uses a minature CNC engraving machine connected to a laptop to do the engraving.