PDA

View Full Version : tiling over pre-existing tiles & whiteknights products qu's

Aangelique1611
7th June 2006, 11:45 AM
Has anyone had experience with laying floor tiles over pre-existing floor tiles? Does it look ok? Any hiccups? Further, das anyone had any experience with tile, tub and laminate paint? Good or bad?

Bin J
7th June 2006, 12:28 PM
I used the Tile paint on our bathroom floor. It says on the tin that it is not recommended for floor surfaces, only walls. I know why :rolleyes: !

When we first bought our house the floor of the bathroom was DISGUSTING! I don't think the last owners were very good cleaners. The tiles were light blue, about 10cm square and the grout was filthy. I felt like I couldn't get clean in my own bathroom!!!

So I used the tile paint on the floor. It looked great for a while, but after 3 years it was looking very ordinary to say the least. Although, I must admit, I didn't really look after it, we always wore our shoes inside - including filthy dirty work boots :o .

If you want to paint the floor for a whole new look, I wouldn't use it again. On the other hand, if you want to paint it just to give it a bit of a lift until you can afford to the the whole bathroom (which was our case), then why not!

Friends of ours used paving paint on the toilet floor (which had a tiled floor) and it has held up quite well. The only bath thing about paving paint is that it is not shiny, it has a matt finish.

I don't know anything about tiling over existing tiles, I think it has been covered elsewhere in the forum.

Sturdee
7th June 2006, 04:23 PM
I don't know anything about tiling over existing tiles, I think it has been covered elsewhere in the forum.

Yes, I gave a detailed reply on how I tiled over an existing tiled floor not too long ago.

A search for that thread might be worthwile. :rolleyes:

Peter.

Aangelique1611
7th June 2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks for that, I will have a search around for that post. I'll also investigate that paver paint, sounds like it could be a winner, much less fuss ... are either of you able to advise me, if I use this and it goes horribly wrong, will I have negated my chance to re-tile? (maybe something to do with the glue being unable to bond to the new paver paint surface?)

Sturdee
7th June 2006, 05:29 PM
Paving paint will last quite a while but like all paints will fade in time. Just have a look at concrete porches that have been painted. Ofcourse then you can then repaint it.

Never tried paving paints on tiles so I can't comment on that, but to glue ceramic tiles to ceramic tiles you use a mortar based adhesive so it would probably stick to the worn paving paint but at worst you have to remove the paint. That shouldn't be too hard with a wire brush if it is necessary.

Peter.

Pulse
7th June 2006, 06:12 PM
The best way is to remove the existing tiles with a rotary hammer drill with a chisel or rotation stop function. Dynalink have a really cheap one ($69) I think in Bunnies. A job that size only takes a few hours and gets the floor levels etc right..

Don't worry about removing all the original adhesive (or cement as it usually was), prime it, use a levelling product mixed to a runny slurry to fill all the depressions and then prime again prior to using a cement based adhesive for the new tiles.

If you choose to tile over the old ones you can mechanically abrade the old tiles and use a regular adhesive or you can use a special 2 part adhesive to direct stick - Davco ultrabond for example

http://www.spec-net.com.au/press/0504/davco.htm

enjoy
pulse

Aangelique1611
7th June 2006, 06:36 PM
My big issue will be funding especially considering I will probably only live in the place for a short time however the second issue is I suspect there could be asbestos (is that how u spell it?) issues as the rest of the bathroom has been renovated but not the floor, the tiles would be original 1920's ones I would think ... Are those asbestos years? Im not too sure...

Wombat2
16th June 2006, 01:28 AM
When I was maybe thinking of tileing over our bathroom floor tiles someone who had done it before suggested to me to remove about 6 inches of tiles in the doorway and slope the new ones down to the door line - saves a big step developing with the double layer.