PDA

View Full Version : My first Bowl

lubbing5cherubs
7th June 2006, 08:17 PM
Hi My first bowl I ever made. I am not sure if this is done with the right tool but I am having fun. I am not sure what the wood it is from our lean too that we are making so I stole a square it turned out all right though.
Bye Toni

ss_11000
7th June 2006, 09:19 PM
good first attempt...

did you find it hard to sand? i turned a bowl/box the other day and i hadn't turned one for a few months and forgotten how hard they are to sand.

lubbing5cherubs
7th June 2006, 09:23 PM
good first attempt...

did you find it hard to sand? i turned a bowl/box the other day and i hadn't turned one for a few months and forgotten how hard they are to sand.

yeah I did glad to see I am not alone
Toni

Gil Jones
8th June 2006, 05:05 AM
Toni,
Nice 1st bowl!
Having fun turning is an important part of it all.
Are you power sanding, or by hand?
This sander is easy to make from a 3/4" wood dowel, and a sanding disk holder. You can just drill an angled hole for the holder, or glue a bushing in a bit larger hole (smoother rotation). The turning wood supplies the power to spin the sander.

TTIT
8th June 2006, 10:44 AM
Good effort Toni :D - looks remarkably similar to my first bowl in shape and finish although my first lathe was nothing like your new toy! Enjoy:)

rsser
8th June 2006, 08:42 PM
Terrific Toni.

Still got my own first bowl.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th June 2006, 10:19 PM
Good job Toni! You're on the downward slide now... soon you'll find yourself cutting stock "just an inch too short" for the lean-to and quickly docking it into square blanks for the lathe before someone gets a chance to say "oh, we can use that bit here instead." :D

Right tool? There's no such thing... you nightn't have used the best tool for the job but you certainly didn't use the wrong tool. You'd be sanding from now 'til Xmas if you did.

FWIW, although there's no "right" tool, there most definitely is such a beast as a WRONG tool. They're the ones that are identified by the "heart in the throat" syndrome. The "brown pants" or "red finger" symptoms usually follows shortly thereafter. If it doesn't feel safe it's the wrong tool, no matter what anyone else might say. ;)

tonysa
8th June 2006, 10:35 PM
Fantastic start to a very rewarding hobby !

You wait 'til you try turning some green wood (camphor laurel's good so long as you're not allergic to it) and have streamers flying off over your shoulder - -very satisfying.

I love it

Cheers
Tony

Caveman
10th June 2006, 05:27 PM
Hi Toni - nice job. As said before you are probably now well hooked and in for a great ride. I love this game.