PDA

View Full Version : Relocatable Workshop

dazzler
7th June 2006, 09:17 PM
Hi all,

As I seem to move around a fair bit I am thinking about my new workshop being relocatable. Just like those green school relocatable rooms that you see going up and down the highway.

Ever seen these for sale? Where would you go to find a plan for one?

Usually I have gone down the path of a 6m x 9m colourbond shed on a slab and have to leave it when I've sold up and moved:( .

I imagine that each section is about 2.1m wide and about 6m long :confused: .

4.2m x 6m would be fine for me as a dedicated w/s.

Any ideas?:confused:

cheeers

dazzler

BobR
7th June 2006, 09:23 PM
How about using a sea container. Just lock the door and put it on the back of a truck. Items could be fixed to the floor and walls. Heating/cooling might be a bit of a challenge though.

Wood Butcher
7th June 2006, 09:29 PM
Dazzler,
Have a look here for a search at ihub.com (http://www.constructionhub.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?Type=Transportable+Building&Location=-1&PriceFrom=-1&PriceTo=-1&SearchMethod=quicksearch&MTA=False&TabID=3427&Alias=constructionhubau)
Relocatable Buildings generally are not cheap. I reckon it would be cheaper to build a shed than to buy one of these because everytime you move you would have to get building permission to site it on the property.

damienhazo
7th June 2006, 09:36 PM
The container idea from Bob is do-able. I brought back a couple of 40 footers out of Hong Kong and the steel ones are pretty reasonably priced. Both 20 and 40 footers are available...

The advantages are:

Lockable double doors
Transportable
Solid wooden floors (in most)The disadvantages are:

A lot for sale have rust problems
The roofs are often not sealed and leaking (rust)
They are long and not very wide.I've seen these with windows and aircons cut into them. Placing two of these together with an opening between the two would be little problem. Alternatively, they can be placed apart and the area between the two roofed. Either way, two large side openings would have to be cut and reinfoced.

Not only is the workshop/shed investment mobile, but you are up and running in no time flat because they can transport and crane your whole workshop - tools and all - safely to its new home.

Damien

dazzler
7th June 2006, 09:41 PM
If I was in the bush the container would be a definite.:) So long as SWMBO couldnt see it:rolleyes: .

Maybe instead of approval I could just put boards around it and paint them to look like bush's.

What about one of these? Insulated/air con/ $9000.

Add some more windows perhaps.

How do you move one?

damienhazo
7th June 2006, 09:49 PM
9 grand! :eek:

That thing reminds me of a Chinese feed. You'll be hungry for more before you've hung your hammer on the wall! You'll need to join a couple of them together so you can turn around with a length of 4x2 on your shoulder!

Buy a couple of containers and invest in some paint. Let the missus decide on the colour. Or plant some fast-growing shrubs around it to form a hedge.

9 grand... (where's the smiley that shakes its head in bafflement?)

channa
7th June 2006, 09:55 PM
Hey Dazzler

I was working in the Melbourne Commonwealth Games village and all of the admin buildings for the visiting countries were made up of sections that 12mx3m - designed to be able to transport on a truck. If you were a small country you got one, bigger countries got 2 or even three, joined to make bigger and bigger offices - I thought at the time one of those would be a great workshop - was told they were going to be sold off afterwards, but couldn't add anything more to that.

Keep us posted. Chris

soundman
7th June 2006, 10:29 PM
Tempory buildings can often be obtained at mining auctions but are usualy very popular.

Containers are a real option.
Some of the container brokers will even supply them modified.

20 footers are good because you can shift them on a decent tilt tray which is soooo much cheaper than a swing lift that you will need for 30 or 40 footer.
Two side by side with a demountable skilion roof over the to of the lot is a very happy thing. Make tha gap in between as wide as you feel you can span.
Make it so you can stow your roof inside in sections.

There is a bloke who runs a major event lighting operation, his whole operation is containerised. If he has a major event where he may be there for weeks or months he swing lifts part or all of his operatoin off to the site.

Go up north and out west there are containers being used for all sorts of things.

What about a gutting a caravan. table saw in the annex. Town planning wouldn't know what the hell to do about that one.
I if they did just tow it somewhere else for a while.:D

there was an article in FWW (i think) about a bloke who built a very serious workshop on the back of a semi, fold down walls and everything.
cheers

Sturdee
7th June 2006, 11:24 PM
Years ago at the Melbourne WWWS I saw an old bus converted into a turning teaching studio with space for 6 students.

May be you can convert an old bus and when you move drive it to the next location. More headroom and easier to move than a container.

Peter.

BobL
7th June 2006, 11:31 PM
How do you move one?

Pity you were not in Perth - we just sold 5 of these at work! They were being used as clean air labs. We ripped all the clean air handling gear out, could have left it in if you wanted to buy one.

Cheers

echnidna
8th June 2006, 12:19 AM
Got the same thoughts as Dazzler,

Thought of building a shed with knock down walls- easy nuff.
but theres no easy way for the roof.

Containers seem to be the most practical, but they look crap.
But so easy to move.
I suppose you could insulate them and put weatherboards or cladding etc on them.

I hope someone comes up with a brainwave.

coedcae
8th June 2006, 07:47 AM
Stop moving. Problem solved.:D :D :D :D

Cheers Peter

la Huerta
8th June 2006, 09:13 AM
this should give you something to think about http://www.fabprefab.com/fabfiles/containerbayhome.htm

la Huerta
8th June 2006, 09:17 AM
here is one of the AU companies http://www.royalwolf.com.au/

Stuart
8th June 2006, 10:50 AM
That's be cool, but I have no way of getting one into my backyard (other than helicopter)

Iain
8th June 2006, 01:33 PM
Don't bet on it Stuart, I saw a 50' yacht taken over a house and put on a semi in Belgrave years ago, long reach but there is equipment to do it.
Cost effectiveness is another matter.