PDA

View Full Version : rusty nails

ihandy
31st July 2002, 10:19 AM
hi, recently aquired a swag of nails from pin to serious construction nails, togheter with screws and assocatiated hardware, most of which have a good deal of surface rust covering them...

is there a method i can use to remove the rust and prevent further rust? ( save for keeping them dry)

i have had fisholine suggested - although i thought this was more of a protectant than a remover??

cheers will

Geoff Allen
31st July 2002, 11:48 AM
This might seem like a strange one but having tried all sorts of proprietry redusters etc. and Coke etc. we use "Tomato sauce".
So, Get a bucket.
Put on the rusties.
Add sufficient tom sauce to just coat them, keep stirring as you go.
Stir every couple of hours, this helps to keep the citric acid/surface contact active.
Next day, wash them with the hose.
Dry in the sun or with a blow heater turning frequently.
Spray with WD40 or wharever when dry.

I have saved $'000's worth of steel parts with this. Haven't yet found a use for the slurry left over.

ihandy
31st July 2002, 12:55 PM
thanks for that, i have to ask though - how the hell did you come up with that idea - ????

Shane Watson
31st July 2002, 02:24 PM
Tomato sauce is a long time trade secret for us re-polishers. Its definitly not a new thing. The sauce is great for cleaning brass as well. The acid in it really goes to work.

John Saxton
31st July 2002, 11:22 PM
So that's whats responsible for the heartburn after eating a pie...and I thought it was the Plastic card used to fill the freezer with 'Er indoors gourmet tucker!!

------------------
Johnno

ptc
1st August 2002, 09:04 AM
Would it work on my lathe bed ?

------------------
p.t.c

Corunetes
1st August 2002, 02:17 PM
Personally I think a good dujon mustard is preferable with a lathe bed http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Catch ya later
Corunetes