PDA

View Full Version : Saleable service

masoth
8th June 2006, 09:50 AM
Many things I used to do are now impossible for my miserable body so I am willing to pay for the task to be done .............. and I have to 'save up' to make the payments.
But, guess what:

Local Government Handiman Service are now not permitted to climb more than (I think) 7'6" above ground; and
Local wood milling company are not permitted to shape a lump of wood brought to them, say, by me.Both these everyday tasks are forbidden by OH&S - so I pay plumber rate to have a cover placed over my evaporative cooler for Winter, and removed for Summer, then I have to take greater risks to have my little length of tree trunked milled.
I wish my young mate Ned was still around - he's tell them "Such is Life" is not what it's cracked up to be.;)

BobL
8th June 2006, 12:29 PM
Many things I used to do are now impossible for my miserable body so I am willing to pay for the task to be done .............. and I have to 'save up' to make the payments.
But, guess what:

Local Government Handiman Service are now not permitted to climb more than (I think) 7'6" above ground; and
Local wood milling company are not permitted to shape a lump of wood brought to them, say, by me.Both these everyday tasks are forbidden by OH&S - so I pay plumber rate to have a cover placed over my evaporative cooler for Winter, and removed for Summer, then I have to take greater risks to have my little length of tree trunked milled.
I wish my young mate Ned was still around - he's tell them "Such is Life" is not what it's cracked up to be.;)

This is pathetic! If I lived in your area I'd be willing to do the first one for naught (well maybe a cuppa tea and a chat :-) and even the second one if it was not beyond my ability.

I admit there can be complications as happened to me 25 years ago when I offered to cut my centenarian next door neighbor's hankerchief sized front lawn (the grass was about 2 ft high). Unbeknownst to me his mains water line was running across the top of the ground and I ploughed straight into it with the ole rotary mower. It was a sunday morning and it cost me $50 to call out a plumber. After that I was a lot more careful with my good works but it shouldn't stop people from doing this.

Caliban
21st June 2006, 07:11 PM
Ditto to what Bob said.
If I lived nearby I'd do it for you as well.
What's wrong with your neighbours? Or are you a cranky old #$@%?:D

Wild Dingo
23rd June 2006, 03:35 AM
No worries this end either mate be there in a flash if I could :cool:

The height thing is a bit of a misnomer as the OH&S thing is along the lines of: "Where there is a risk of falling causing injury" but does not specify what hieght! So as there is a risk of falling causing injury from even 1ft of the ground or even from the height of a brick the act in such cases calls for the person to have "approved safety device fall restraint fitted" and that the person wearing that device "must be fully trained and certified in its use" and so from the bloody act no one can assist you if it means there is a risk of falling causing injury... which as we all know is possible eg a broken ankle falling of a brick for instance :rolleyes: ... and if the joker does fall and be injured without the said fall restraint device and appropriate training certification then the insurance does not cover said joker

Sometimes the act is an ass.

As for the milling well that one I cant answer as I try to do my own... or get my DAS future son-in-law on the end of the chainsaw to do it! helps havin all these DAS future son-in-laws about along with sons to do that manual type labor stuff ;)

Seems the days we all knew when we were younger of helpin our neighbors out and doin stuff for others are about gone... and we old pharts who retain that life are becoming relics :( But as I say to the hoons "If Im a bloody relic thank god Im a relic from the age of DOING!!"

Hope someone steps up and gives yer a hand old fella ;) :cool: