PDA

View Full Version : gmc router table

Grizz
8th June 2006, 05:39 PM
Ok, I know that I will probably get shot down in flames for this, :) but here goes anyway. Has anyone had or have any knowledge of the GMC router table available in Bunnings for $199? I've had a quick look at it and it seems reasonable for the price, but then again, what would I know :rolleyes:. I'd like to know how much travel it has if anyone knows that too. I know I could make my own table, but I guess I'm a bit too lazy for that (really, I want to build one and make it a good one, but having somethin around like this to do small jobs on may be a good option as well).

Grizz.

Two-Words
8th June 2006, 05:43 PM
worthless junk !! :mad:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/search.php?searchid=790827&pp=15&page=9

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=7719&highlight=gmc+router+table

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=25540&highlight=powered+router+table

Bodgy
8th June 2006, 05:52 PM
I'm a big fan of GMC, their warranty and their value....

But not this one, its a lemon.

Trust me, Ive got one.

Make your own as I shall, when I get a decent shed.

Grizz
8th June 2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks Two-Words and Bodgy. Guess I'll just have to get busy and build my own table. Or would the Triton setup be a better option (other than cost that is)?

Grizz.

Two-Words
8th June 2006, 06:14 PM
This one.....

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=32490

inferno6688
10th June 2006, 09:51 AM
i saw a GMC router table on sepcial at bunnings for only $98! i am not sure if thats the same one ur looking at. :)

routermaniac
10th June 2006, 10:24 AM
also comes with a router :eek:, I have too many routers myself but for someone starting out it maybe an ok way to start playing (router + table = $ 98).

(I must say though, having changed over all my gmc routers to makita, I would never go back :cool: )

womble
10th June 2006, 10:32 PM
i saw a GMC router table on sepcial at bunnings for only $98! i am not sure if thats the same one ur looking at. :)

No it's a different one (just a simple bench really), we got one last week to get a start in using router tables, its cheaper than the gmc router we got a while ago that also comes with this deal...oh well...

havent set it up yet, has anyone else seen it, thoughts of, etc??

Glenn_M
10th June 2006, 11:59 PM
No it's a different one (just a simple bench really), we got one last week to get a start in using router tables, its cheaper than the gmc router we got a while ago that also comes with this deal...oh well...

havent set it up yet, has anyone else seen it, thoughts of, etc??

I was looking for a second smallish router for hand held work as the triton is now permanent in a table and was looking at the GMC router. Saw the twin pack of router and table and bought for the $98.

Took it home and unpacked. Checked the table - not flat. Checked the fence - not straight. The only part of interest was the safety switch but theu are $20 from Timbecon so.........Ebayed the table.

Paid $98 for the pair and sold the table for $66. I end up with a new router with 2 year warranty for $32. Of course there is better but I'm happy.

Others may be flat and true, mine wasn't and I was after the router anyway.

I think for the $99 retail price normally for the GMC table, an acrylic insert plate some lamipanel and a homemade fence all for about the same cost would be a better choice.

Each to his own. Cheers folks,

Glenn

jugglingogre
12th June 2006, 01:41 PM
You get what you pay for as the old addage goes.

I bought the $99 tablesaw which will be going back on the 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Same problems. Fence not straight and table not flat.

Saving my pennies for better items. A router table built by me....now theres an idea....

onionizer
9th July 2006, 11:37 PM
Yep same as .. we got one for our work, .. the table is crap , flimsy fence out of square,. But the router has worked well for me so far, it has handy incriments of 5 ish mm that allows you to make 2 or 3 passes without changing your depth once you've configured it. But the depth guage allows u to fine tune but is too loose and can a bit too easliy sink you a touch too deep.
yeahhh.. don't bovver spend a bit more dosh