PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes its all about the timber

boban
10th June 2006, 02:11 PM
We have recently renovated a garage in Neutral Bay whereby we replaced the roof. What I had was a significant number of hardwood battens (Tas Oak species) that I had to dispose of. I had them on the firewood pile and must admit that I had been feeling guilty about burning the timber.

Anyway this is why some people think I'm nuts. I took them off the pile and put them over and through the jointer and thicknesser respectively. Two hours later and I had three laminated boards ready to become a new top for a rolling tool chest I will build in the future.

I made sure I didn't plane/thickness too much of the discolouration out the wood as it would have looked a little sterile for my liking.

I then took 10 peices and laminated them. I did this three times. Then I put them through the thicknesser before making one large top.

Total cost, a little time,glue and electrons.

Now this peice will burn for much longer :D

Bob38S
10th June 2006, 03:32 PM
Looks really good - nice reuse of timber - and those c l a m p s - beautiful - I see you used Gladwrap to keep the cauls glue free etc. Never tried Gladwrap - usually use "el cheapo" paper lunch wrap - is there any advantage using G'Wrap?
Regards,
Bob

boban
10th June 2006, 03:54 PM
I find that the Cling wrap doesn't stick to the finished products at all whereas the paper can if it's not waxed. Not my idea, just something I've seen elsewhere.

I've used melamine board before, but much to my amazement, the glue actually stuck to it. The glue joint did not let go, it was the melamine itself. Not sanded if you're wondering.

AlexS
10th June 2006, 06:02 PM
Good rescue.
I presume that you'll be watching events in Germany most nights for a while now?:D

boban
10th June 2006, 06:45 PM
Good rescue.
I presume that you'll be watching events in Germany most nights for a while now?:D

Started last night and I now have to work in the new sleep patterns. I'm not complaining though.

damienhazo
10th June 2006, 07:12 PM
Started last night and I now have to work in the new sleep patterns. I'm not complaining though.

Strange... I don't seem to have a problem. And after the match I even have time to catch a movie...

And I'm with the others. Nice save and bloody nice clamps!

Damien

boban
10th June 2006, 07:20 PM
Dont talk to me Damien. I'm seriously jealous. I wanted to be there but 5 people at $2000+ a piece then tickets and I would have to sell the contents of my shed and then possibly myself to be there.

Good result and two ripper goals from your boys last night. I fell asleep at 5.15am as I couldn't keep my eyes open. Have to watch the replay now.

Auld Bassoon
10th June 2006, 07:31 PM
Great stuff Boban!

That top looks very nice with a sort of buily-in patina - good call on keeping the character of the wood.

BTW - on the melamine; I've got a couple of sheets that I use for glue-ups, and as they're waxed I've not had any problems with the glue sticking. Just to be sure though, about 20mins after clamp-up, I move the assemble a few mm to make certain that the glue hasn't caught the melamine. I'll definitely give the shrink-wrap a go though!

fred.n
10th June 2006, 07:40 PM
A nice bit of recycling there Boban.
it should look "outstanding" when finished
and yes.............those clamps:)

Harry72
10th June 2006, 11:06 PM
"Rolling tool chest" please do elaborate some?

Bloomin show off... I see you havent even removed the tags on them clamps yet... my tags are still intact too!

boban
10th June 2006, 11:27 PM
The rolling tool chest is nothing more than an elaborate set of drawers on castors. I plan to put my chisels, planes, cordless drills etc (basically all my commonly used tools) within this set of drawers so I dont clutter my workbench when I'm doing some work that I haven't finished.

I've seen a few in books but I plan to put a bit of effort into the design and construction. It wont be a utilitarian effort. That will mean it wont be finished too soon either.

Anyway I've started something new again, but I had to do it.

As for the clamps you know I only put them on to show off. That's actually the first time I used the K60's.