PDA

View Full Version : PET PEEVES & GRIPES

RETIRED
26th August 1999, 07:58 PM
I thought that some of you might like to have a whinge about your pet peeve or gripe.

This is NOT a forum for bitching about companies or other individuals.

My pet hate is the so called handy man packets of screws, nuts et al.

We normally buy in bulk from the suppliers but occasionally you need a few odd ones that you don't normally use.

Off you go to purchase a little packet.

Murphys law states that if you need 8, they come in packets of 6, so you have to buy 2 packets.

You have 4 left over and the next job requires 6. You can't win.

Any way let's hear your whinge.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

TASSY
26th August 1999, 09:52 PM
my biggest gripe is that I only find hidden nails AFTER sharpening the saw ,chisel ,knive s etc !!!!!!!!
Is this another one of Murphy's laws ????

Tassy

lushy
28th August 1999, 09:15 AM
Yep I hate when you have measured twice then measure again twice, cut once and you are still short, its ok in metal as you can weld a bit on, but you are buggered when it is in wood.
As a keen motorcyclist, I remeber when sex was safe and motorcycles where dangerous!!!!

------------------

Shane Watson
29th August 1999, 01:15 AM
One of my biggest pet gripes is that when one machine breaks down, it is usually followed by another, and it always happens when the work load is rather busy! Why O why!! And lets face it, no matter how much maintanence you do, some problems are just unavoidable!

cheers
Shane...

RETIRED
29th August 1999, 09:39 PM
And it is always on the eve of a long weekend or public holiday.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

TASSY
30th August 1999, 09:14 PM
and the shop has always just sold the last one in stock !@#$%&

Shane Watson
30th August 1999, 10:35 PM
Ain't it the damn truth!!

And I have just gone through this!!! Word for word, from the last few posts!!!! Bugger!!

Cheers

Shane!!~

Shane Watson
31st August 1999, 12:17 PM
Sounds like your a chef http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Mind you, I prefer my tools with margarine than butter http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif
Bit of honey never hurts either http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Shane...

Pat
8th April 2006, 05:10 PM
Pet Peeves: Garage sales advertise "Tools", when you fo there, they have on average 1 hammer(Broken), 1 screwdriver and some crappy files. Where are the tools from yesteryear? Where are the sheds full of pre WWII hand tools? Even, even where are the 1 or 2 pre 1980 power tools? Where are any clamps? G's, F's, Sash or Pipe of any length? Argh!!!:mad:

Someone had another frustrating day of checking the garage sales, thank goodness I had a good surf! Good luck to all those that find these treasures!:)

Baz
8th April 2006, 05:35 PM
Start turning a burl bowl and find a bark inclusion that just keeps on going and going into that beautiful burl and that 300x100 bowl ends up 250x50.
Cheers
Barry

Sir Stinkalot
8th April 2006, 07:37 PM
Somebody found an oldie ;)

My pet peeve is the tossers who drive with their fog lights on when there is no sign of fog at all. There should be a rule that if you have a wanker with their fog lights on pull up behind you at the traffic lights you should be allowed to get out and smash them (the lights that is).

Ahh that feels better. :rolleyes:

ozwinner
8th April 2006, 07:42 PM
Ahhhh Stinky, a man after my own heart.
Wanker lights I call em, not fog lights.

Al :p

Dean
8th April 2006, 07:48 PM
Not having a universal size for dust outlets on stationary and hand held power tools (well a universal size for each). You have to have a million and one fittings and several hose sizes to get everything to work together :o

echnidna
8th April 2006, 07:48 PM
Gotta be the people who play the man on the forums rather than discuss things reasonably

Dean
8th April 2006, 07:50 PM
my biggest gripe is that I only find hidden nails AFTER sharpening the saw ,chisel ,knive s etc !!!!!!!!
Is this another one of Murphy's laws ????

Tassy

Tassy, Get yourself one of these (or something similar):
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/lumberwizard.htm

Then you can get your own back on murphy!

Pat
8th April 2006, 07:58 PM
I was going do a new thread, but I did a search and found this one on the subject.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th April 2006, 08:08 PM
Being that this is in the woodturning forums :D:D I'd have to say my pet peeve is:

Having waited several years for a particular piece of wood to fully cure, spending the better part of a day creating the masterpiece that has haunted your dreams for all that time, only to hear the dreaded "CRACK" and have things go radically pear-shaped when you get a bit overenthusiastic applying friction polish... :(

Outside of turning, it's gotta be walking into my shed to discover some "phantom woodworker" has rearranged my tools, making me lose half a day just in finding things! Odd how this phantom not only knows our alarm code but has to come into the house to de-activate it, yet no-one has any idea who it is. :mad:

Ever felt like hooking 240VAC direct to your shed doors' handle?

doug the slug
8th April 2006, 08:11 PM
Somebody found an oldie ;)

My pet peeve is the tossers who drive with their fog lights on when there is no sign of fog at all. There should be a rule that if you have a wanker with their fog lights on pull up behind you at the traffic lights you should be allowed to get out and smash them (the lights that is).

Ahh that feels better. :rolleyes:

and when the same tosser with the fog lights is in front of you they pull up to let in another vehicle from a sidestreet or driveway who doesnt have right of way. theres nobody behind you and the other car would have gotten into the traffic sooner if he had just kept going. or does that only happen in bundaberg?

ozwinner
8th April 2006, 08:14 PM
Must be a Bundy thing.

Al :)

doug the slug
8th April 2006, 08:23 PM
it's gotta be walking into my shed to discover some "phantom woodworker" has rearranged my tools, making me lose half a day just in finding things! Odd how this phantom not only knows our alarm code but has to come into the house to de-activate it, yet no-one has any idea who it is. :mad:

Ever felt like hooking 240VAC direct to your shed doors' handle?

used to happen to me all the time, skew. not very often now since my sons left home. they must have taken "Not Me" with them cos it seems that was who was always doing it :D :D

ticklingmedusa
8th April 2006, 08:29 PM
Great idea for a topic...
Tonight mine would have be turning a gloatworthy vessel out of a special piece of wood. It has a sleek line and slicker than snot finish. I am taking it off the machine and it slips through my fingers and in spite of my deadly kung fu reflexes it falls in slow motion to the concrete.
splat

ozwinner
8th April 2006, 08:34 PM
Great idea for a topic...
Tonight mine would have be turning a gloatworthy vessel out of a special piece of wood. It has a sleek line and slicker than snot finish. I am taking it off the machine and it slips through my fingers and in spite of my deadly kung fu reflexes it falls in slow motion to the concrete.
splat

Nooooooooooooooo..................Bugger................

Dont ya just hate it?

Al :(

ticklingmedusa
8th April 2006, 08:41 PM
I've done it a few times and I do hate it.
Everytime it happens I promise myself I'll be more careful.
By the way Doug the Slug thats one heroic pair of... er, um animations you have going on there.:cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th April 2006, 08:45 PM
splat

Quite some time back I turned a goblet on commission. Now I'm sure it couldn't possibly have been as gloriously delicate and balanced as I remember it being (some memories tend to grow with time. :rolleyes: ) but I do know that at the time 'twas the best piece I'd turned and I was really, really chuffed with it.

Went to deliver it, putting it in the front seat of the ute. Naturally I sat on it, whereupon the ingrate bit me. Was picking bits out of my butt for ages. [sigh]

RufflyRustic
8th April 2006, 09:19 PM
Pet Peeve 1 - there are never enough daylight hours in the weekend for me, and even if there were enough, I'd be too tired to use them all making sawdust!!!

Pet Peeve 2 - Getting called in to work on your day off when your team mate was supposed to be "able to handle all the support calls" and then not being able to take a day off in lieu

RR

MathewA
8th April 2006, 09:36 PM
Since this is the woodturning section... My pet peeve is having to buy handled chisels. I'm a firkin woodturner, I'll make my own!

soundman
8th April 2006, 11:26 PM
peave 1
the skew chisel.... so youve turned a near purfect bead but ther is just a little fuzz at the bottom of the V or perhaps there's a little bump in the shape so....... I'll just clean that up with a little touch...... CATCH scrag.. AAARRRRGGGH:eek: :( :( :mad: :confused: .

peave 2
Nitro laquer..... you've worked up a great finish ( looks like a goddamn piano)after much sandin, filling and many coats of laquer & on the final pass a drip falls off the rim of the spray pot & disolves thru all 42 layers of finish.

peave 2b
nitro laquer
as above but your too heavy handed on the last coat and all of a sudden air bubles are released from the depth of the timber grain & buble thru all 42 layers of finish.

cheers

Gumby
8th April 2006, 11:39 PM
My pet peeve is having to read 7 year old threads :rolleyes:

;) :D

ozwinner
8th April 2006, 11:41 PM
My pet peeve is having to read 7 year old threads :rolleyes:

;) :D

So dont read it!! :confused:

Gumby
8th April 2006, 11:44 PM
So dont read it!! :confused:

If I didn't read it, how would i know I didn't like it :confused:

ozwinner
8th April 2006, 11:47 PM
If I didn't read it, how would i know I didn't like it :confused:

Just assume everything is horrid, that way if you read something and it isnt horrid, you will be pleasently supprised.

Gumby
8th April 2006, 11:49 PM
pleasently supprised.

You got the red out again tonight mate ? ;) :D

Ashore
8th April 2006, 11:52 PM
Gotta be the people who play the man on the forums rather than discuss things reasonably

So whats wrong with you , why do you always pick on people who play the man other than the topic , whatever that is , or was, anyway your wrong........I think :D :D

CanFly
9th April 2006, 05:29 AM
My peeve is that when I loose something and spend hours searching for it, and when finally found ,it is exactly where I left it!

ubeaut
9th April 2006, 08:35 AM
Dean - Very helpful but maybe just a little bit late with your help for Tassy. His gripe was posted 7 years ago.

JDarvall
9th April 2006, 09:35 AM
The thing that annoys me,,,,and I probably shouldn't let it,,,,is when knowledgeable people, to back up there point, detail their university degrees and experience in the subject........ uno, ' I should know, cause I've had 30 years experience in whatever, with a triple masters degree in it '.... which basically shuts down the debate. Which is fine if they were right ! ....but how often are they wrong ! ...all the blooooody time ! ..........Thats when I let them have it. ...and how do they backpeddle when it becomes clear to them that they were actually wrong all along? ......They start quoting their ####ing degrees again. :mad: ........cause never, ever, can they say .....

'uno, your right, I made a mistake' .... :rolleyes:

echnidna
9th April 2006, 09:41 AM
peave 2
Nitro laquer..... you've worked up a great finish ( looks like a goddamn piano)after much sandin, filling and many coats of laquer & on the final pass a drip falls off the rim of the spray pot & disolves thru all 42 layers of finish.

peave 2b
nitro laquer
as above but your too heavy handed on the last coat and all of a sudden air bubles are released from the depth of the timber grain & buble thru all 42 layers of finish.

cheers

:rolleyes:

Groggy
9th April 2006, 10:36 AM
My pet peeve too. If these brain dead drivers even paused to think about it they'd know that using them on the freeway at 100kph is dangerous. They increase the reflected light close to the car, thereby reducing the depth of vision they would normally have (pupils adust to reduce incoming light). Because they are now on reduced depth of vision their braking distance if an animal or something else gets on the road is just about zero. Add to this the fact they are also affecting the depth of vision of oncoming traffic, especially older people, and they are simply a hazard.

But what is worse is these tossers don't even know they are fog lights, they think they are driving lights of some sort.

Ahh, that's better, good thread.

While I'm on a roll:

Tools that will never do a safe or satisfactory job, you know the ones, plastic screwdrivers that disintegrate when used, bottom of the line junk that is not fit for any purpose. It's a waste of the worlds resources and simply becomes landfill. There oughta be a law about it ...

aussiecolector
9th April 2006, 11:00 AM
Whats fog? Is it something that happen south of the border?

Gumby
9th April 2006, 11:10 AM
I've just thought of another one.

People ranting against others who have a triple masters degree without backing up the argument with any facts at all. Just making generalisations.

http://www.ubeaut.biz/traashcan.gif

That peeves me. :rolleyes:

JDarvall
9th April 2006, 11:50 AM
I've just thought of another one.

People ranting against others who have a triple masters degree without backing up the argument with any facts at all. Just making generalisations.

http://www.ubeaut.biz/traashcan.gif

That peeves me. :rolleyes:

Oh Really ?....you mean to say, of course......' I give you the #####', regardless of what I say. Right ?

Clearly I didn't say everyone. CLEARLY, I'm refering to the occational situation that has annoyed me, CLEARLY not every situation.

How should have I written my pet pieve ? Gumby.

You seem to begin these arguements everytime, Gumby. Whats your ####en problem !!

outback
9th April 2006, 12:05 PM
I think someone needs a hug. :rolleyes:

JDarvall
9th April 2006, 12:24 PM
I think someone needs a hug. :rolleyes:

A hug ? ....hope its not from you ! :D .... Gumby certainly needs something.
A mate of your Outback ?..... Know him personally ? Is he really a tightarse wet rag in real life ?

outback
9th April 2006, 12:51 PM
I'll let you judge, here's a photo from his latest picture shoot.

ss_11000
9th April 2006, 06:47 PM
thing that annoys me: when acrylic pen blanks heat up to much and bubble ( yes i no its my fault ) while applying wax:eek: :(

soundman
10th April 2006, 12:35 AM
chisels with taperd tangs...
One day I'm going to make, buy or otherwise aquire a tapered boring device so I don't have to use 27 different drills to get a tapered hole only to find that Ive turned up a beautifull handle but the fit was too tight & I've wacked thee handle on too hard & split the blasted thing.... aaaaaarrrrrrggghh

Slow6
10th April 2006, 01:21 AM
for me it has to be the dickhead doing 70 in a 100 zone.. not a problem untill they hit the only passing lane for ages and decide to do 110.
passing lane stops... back to 70 :(

scooter
10th April 2006, 11:50 AM
One day I'm going to make, buy or otherwise aquire a tapered boring device so I don't have to use 27 different drills to get a tapered hole only to find that Ive turned up a beautifull handle but the fit was too tight & I've wacked thee handle on too hard & split the blasted thing.... aaaaaarrrrrrggghh

Soundy, sounds like you need to make a tapered reamer, as made ingeniously by Midge in this thread. (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19068)

Otherwise, straight tapered reamers (as opposed to helical like Midges) can be had cheaply at $2 shops, reject shops, or the like. Pic of mine below, bought cheaply.

Cheers................Sean

rsser
10th April 2006, 12:21 PM
a. when after heaps of effort you take the best bowl ever into the lounge, and as you take your first good look at it in the horizontal position decide you don't like the proportions that looked just dandy while on the chuck!

b. similarly, when you live with the next best bowl ever and one day realise in one corner there's still some obvious sanding scratches you overlooked in the workshop.

hughie
10th April 2006, 12:57 PM
Hah! glad I am not only only one that finds flaws in the best ever bowl:D Even with all the darn lights I have fitted to avoid this --- bugger.
Hmm maybe I need new glasses:)

But my main peeve is going to buy a leg or wheely leg for your kids bed and find Bunny sell em in three packs. :mad: How B usless is that , not enough for complete bed and way more than you need at the time.

hughie

PAH1
10th April 2006, 01:26 PM
An unusual one, low hanging signs in shops. You know the sort the ones suspended from the ceiling, they never suspend them more than 6ft from the ceiling and I am taller than that.

Ashore
10th April 2006, 02:07 PM
for me it has to be the dickhead doing 70 in a 100 zone.. not a problem untill they hit the only passing lane for ages and decide to do 110.
passing lane stops... back to 70 :(

These people are called " PASSHOLES" :cool:

CameronPotter
10th April 2006, 04:59 PM
The thing that annoys me,,,,and I probably shouldn't let it,,,,is when knowledgeable people, to back up there point, detail their university degrees and experience in the subject........ uno, ' I should know, cause I've had 30 years experience in whatever, with a triple masters degree in it '.... which basically shuts down the debate. Which is fine if they were right ! ....but how often are they wrong ! ...all the blooooody time ! ..........Thats when I let them have it. ...and how do they backpeddle when it becomes clear to them that they were actually wrong all along? ......They start quoting their ####ing degrees again. :mad: ........cause never, ever, can they say .....

Ahh Mr Ripper, I agree with that (as someone who can freely admit it when they are wrong) but equally - and possibly even more - annoying is the opposite. Someone who clearly doesn't have a clue, who steadfastly holds to their opinions in the face of all facts. This is especially annoying when you have spent the last 7 and a half years getting a degree and learning about all of the reasons that person X's argument simply doesn't hold true...

Mind you, it also doesn't change the fact - you should always be willing to admit a mistake.

CameronPotter
10th April 2006, 05:02 PM

I made a tapered drill bit for drilling arrow nocks using nothing more sophisticated than a disc sander and a plank of wood clamped at the appropriate angle. It works perfectly...

Also, if you are very careful, you can actually burn in tangs into handles (much like MANY knife makers do). Before getting a long drill bit this was my only real option for through tang knives. But you have to be careful not to heat part of the chisel that will come into use later on - so this is a last resort really...

Cam

Bob Willson
10th April 2006, 06:38 PM
Since this is the woodturning section... My pet peeve is having to buy handled chisels. I'm a firkin woodturner, I'll make my own!
Hi MatthewA
If you look in the Carba-Tec Catalogue you will find that they sell both handled and unhandled chisels.

Slow6
10th April 2006, 07:03 PM

very nice:D

ticklingmedusa
10th April 2006, 08:30 PM
a. when after heaps of effort you take the best bowl ever into the lounge, and as you take your first good look at it in the horizontal position decide you don't like the proportions that looked just dandy while on the chuck!

b. similarly, when you live with the next best bowl ever and one day realise in one corner there's still some obvious sanding scratches you overlooked in the workshop.

I also own these two... My favorite variation of it is a bit different.
To my dismay I notice the scratches or proportional blunder as I hand it to the person I made it for.
The horror...
the horror.

ticklingmedusa
10th April 2006, 08:39 PM

On the border of Texas and Mexico that particularly vile type of driver was so rampant that they named a large city in honor of them: El Paso.
No, really.
I'd better get back to my toolrest.

Slow6
11th April 2006, 12:57 PM
lol@ el paso.

Another thing that gets my goat is walking past this tree every other day knowing full well that if I ever took to it with a chainsaw in the main street I would be de-testicled and run out of town with pitch forks.

JDarvall
11th April 2006, 01:26 PM
lol@ el paso.

Another thing that gets my goat is walking past this tree every other day knowing full well that if I ever took to it with a chainsaw in the main street I would be de-testicled and run out of town with pitch forks.

:D Hard to understand why its so loved ? Bloody ugly looking thing.

Bet you wouldn't mind taking to this tree with your chainsaw either. I think he's in the mood for a fight....

ss_11000
11th April 2006, 01:33 PM
thats one weird tree ( and rude too:p :p :eek: )

Slow6
11th April 2006, 07:09 PM
Bet you wouldn't mind taking to this tree with your chainsaw either. I think he's in the mood for a fight....

aww that bugger is just begging for it, maybe I have repressed tree violence issues:eek: I can smell the bar lube just looking at that photo:D

cedar n silky
11th April 2006, 07:52 PM
My pet peeve is when your in your workshop- WORKING, and the phone rings (usually during working hours), and it's one of those tellemarketers with an Indian accent trying to sell you a phone plan, or it's that nauseus recording of an american accent saying "congratulations- you are in the draw_____ "! you know the rest!! I don't have that problem any more because I put my 50mm chisel through the workshop line, and told family and freinds if they were desperate to talk to me -call me on the mobile or leave a message (notice how telemarketers don't call on a mobile !- cause it costs toooo bloody much!)
I did try playing with the telemarketers for a while but soon tired of it (although it was interesting).
Ask them where they are from, and what they will be eating tonight, and how many children they have, and what religion they practice, and what they do on the weekends, and if they like fishing, what is there favourite sit comm etc etc!
Cruel I know, cause they are only trying to make a living, but most of them , I noticed, found it interesting and humerous and wen't along with it!
Cheers:mad:

Robert34
11th April 2006, 09:17 PM
My pet peeve is when your in your workshop- WORKING, and the phone rings (usually during working hours), and it's one of those tellemarketers with an Indian accent trying to sell you a phone plan, or it's that nauseus recording of an american accent saying "congratulations- you are in the draw_____ "! you know the rest!! Cheers:mad:

A calling number display fixes this problem.

Indian call centres show as Unavailable, Your friends and people whose number you know, you can choose to answer or ignore. And the ones that show as private you can answer at your peril.

Rob

Gumby
11th April 2006, 09:23 PM
A calling number display fixes this problem.

Indian call centres show as Unavailable,

Not on mine they don't. It comes up 'overseas' so i just pick it up, wait for the connection and hang up again. They've stopped ringing now.

(Hope none of my family or mates went OS without telling me :o )

soundman
11th April 2006, 10:29 PM
Ahhhh telemarketers.

Sorry I have no sympathy what so ever for telemarketers.
When they lie thru their teeth in their opening statments.
theeves, standover merchants and swindelers have to make a living too they are in the same group as telemarketers. they do not have to make a living that way.

I think it is going to be very hard to make a living as a telemarketer in this country once the new national telemarketing laws come into effect. A government leave me alone list with huge penalties for bothering people.

cheers

Sir Stinkalot
11th April 2006, 10:39 PM
An unusual one, low hanging signs in shops. You know the sort the ones suspended from the ceiling, they never suspend them more than 6ft from the ceiling and I am taller than that.

I have the same issue ..... sometimes I like to make sure I run into them just to make myself look really stupid :D You know you have done well when they fall down ...... after all what can you do if they are hanging over the walkway.
:o :p

Andy Mac
12th April 2006, 09:40 AM
Pet peeves...I have a menagerie of them:rolleyes: , several already raised here:
like wankers doing 70 in a 100 zone then speeding up when you go to overtake; with the fog lights, I absolutely fume when idiots insist on NOT using any lights during one of the many fogs we get here on the range, leading to several near misses; cheap tools like claw hammers that dent the face when nailing, and tin snips that bend the handles...
And banks, full sD

Cheers,

soundman
12th April 2006, 10:48 AM
supermarkets

it doesn't matter how much shelf space they have they still insist on placing c#$p all over the place overhanging the isles,and causing obstruction.

I'm sure the milk companies are realy happy that large numbers of their crates are in use as shop fittings for other peoples products?

Don't get me started:mad: :mad: :mad:

OH NO!!:eek: I'm turning into a grumpy old man.....Ops to late I was grumpy at 20.:D

cheers

Auld Bassoon
12th April 2006, 07:41 PM
:D Hard to understand why its so loved ? Bloody ugly looking thing.

I'd love to sneak up to that tree in the dead of night, lop off the significant limb and, back at the shed, attach it to the entrance door :D :D :D

Groggy
12th April 2006, 08:01 PM
I'd love to sneak up to that tree in the dead of night, lop off the significant limb and, back at the shed, attach it to the entrance door :D :D :DIt's a classic case of cranky grain...

Waldo
12th April 2006, 08:26 PM
G'day,

Some pet peeves and some have been mentioned:

jerks that do 80-90 in a 100 zone and speed up in the overtaking zone,

petrol prices go up but not down

jerks that know the outside left lane of three merges 5m past the lights and use it to overtake you, so I block them out. :mad:

idiots that travel in the right lane on the freeway and at a slower speed than anyone else and won't move for faster traffic

parent-in-laws that meddle in your life

and father-in-laws that when asked to do something for you go and do it to how they think it should be done when you expressly asked for it different

not being able to buy all the tools I need/want all because I don't have enough money :D

Sir Stinkalot
12th April 2006, 08:31 PM
the milk companies

Ohh I have so many gripes I am like an old man :D

My gripe with the milk companies is that they cant seem to invent a cap that doesn't leak. Every time I collect milk from the supermarket it is sitting in a pile of spilt milk. The milk then manages to work its way out of the bottle on the way home too.

Good thread . ;)

Waldo
12th April 2006, 08:37 PM
G'day,

And another thing which is a unique thing to Melbourne

You're at a T intersection you've got the arrow to turn left but the bugger on the other side is still turning across you when he has a right light and 5o ther cars follow him - you lot in Melbourne it's simple green means go and red means stop.

and you ask FIL via SWMBO (who's at in-laws farm for holiday) who dutifly asks FIL for my square end scraper and he gives SWMBO my LH skewed scraper. Lucky he's 1200km away or I'd thump him. (OK he's got my lathe tools because he's borrowing my lathe, but he could do what I ask) :confused: :mad:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th April 2006, 09:09 PM
Armchair critics. :mad:

Had a classic today... a bloke who's been on my case for over 12 months now. Picks at my finishes, picks at my designs, picks at my techniques. He finally lobbed up at my shed today and gave me a demo of "how it should be done." Made a small finger bowl that took some 45 mins of scraping with a gouge(!!) and a full 2 1/2 hours of sanding with 80 & 100grit! :eek: (I kid you not!) The end result was something I can turn out in less than half an hour, straight off the tool.

He's no fricken turner, he's a power-sander! :mad:

At least I know not to bother listening to his "advice" in the future... :rolleyes:

Waldo
12th April 2006, 09:19 PM
G'day Skew ChiDAMN!!

Maybe if he turns up again you should put up a sign on your lathe, "Look but don't touch" :D

Sir Stinkalot
12th April 2006, 09:21 PM
Fine then Skew ...... its the last time Im comming around to your place. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th April 2006, 09:28 PM
I'm putting his effort aside for a few months... and then I'll show it to him, just to see what criticisms he has for this piece of "my" work. http://www.ubeaut.biz/thefinger.gif

Gumby
12th April 2006, 09:44 PM
oh dear me, seems somebody has a raw nerve :rolleyes:

soundman
12th April 2006, 11:21 PM
I think the summary of the above couple of posts

Ham fisted, talentless, ignorant fools who make no effort to do things properly telling you what you should have done and why you have not succeeded at your first or second attempt to use some advanced & difficult method that you are figuring out for your self.

AAAARRRRGGGHH http://www.ubeaut.biz/2gunsfiring.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/bash.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/machinegun.gif

Rossluck
13th April 2006, 03:52 PM

Yes,I was guilty of this recently (not being necessarily wrong, but pointing out that I have a degree). I felt bad about it, it was like using a sledgehammer when a tack hammer would have done. But I didn't go to uni until my early 30s, and I've seen both sides of it: people without degrees who think that all people with degrees are smart alecs, and people with degrees who mainly learned at uni how very little they really know.

On another tack, my pet hate is the incredible technological DUMNESS of traffic lights. We can get people on the moon, we carry video cameras in our mobile phones and so on, but every day we sit there next to those red lights that stopped fifty cars and trucks to let one annoying dribbler through five minutes ago.

Bob Willson
13th April 2006, 04:00 PM
to let one annoying dribbler through five minutes ago.

What part was dribbling? :)

Rossluck
13th April 2006, 04:21 PM
What part was dribbling? :)

The whole thing.

Iain
13th April 2006, 05:02 PM
I have a few pet hates, the current one is committees who seem to have no idea on what they are doing, why they are doing it and generally like a position of power that has never been entrusted to them before and the lust to wield a big stick, usually to the disadvantage of the organisation they are supposed to be helping.
Point in question, we received a note from our Scout Committee stating thet we will be charged an additional $15 per term because SWMBO will not help out at the Op Shop once a term.
She works full time, as we pointed out, but we will pay the $15, and remove our names from the other 12 fundraising drives that are on this year that we normally help out with.
And short asred little sales managers with big mouths and low IQ's, venomous little toad I used to work with, took away all his glory when I resigned, took great pleasure in winding people up and then firing them when they bit back.
I never gave him that pleasure and he hated it.

echnidna
13th April 2006, 05:13 PM
Point in question, we received a note from our Scout Committee stating thet we will be charged an additional $15 per term because SWMBO will not help out at the Op Shop once a term.
She works full time, as we pointed out, but we will pay the $15, and remove our names from the other 12 fundraising drives that are on this year that we normally help out with.

Don't fergot to send em a printout of this post :)

But always remember that a duck is an elephant that was designed by a committee:D

ticklingmedusa
13th April 2006, 07:09 PM
It sure is wonderful to have this place now to spew forth my curmudgeonliness. I think today my pet peeve is pretty much anything
that keeps me away from the tool rest. Several of them have already
been mentioned by some of you all. Traffic wankers, telephone calls from
someone I'd rather not speak to ( come to think of it I could disconnect the damned thing ), having to stop to eat, , maybe sleep, shop or go to the job. Okay, if I stop working the lights go off and the spinning wood comes to a halt.
Is this what the Dali Lama means by enlightened interdependence?
Hmmmm...
Does life interrupt turning or does turning interrupt life?
I gotta go think about this at the tool rest.
tm

RufflyRustic
13th April 2006, 11:50 PM
Shellac runs, cause in the end, all you can do is sand it all back and start again, however, after the second time - bugger!!!!!

RR

vsquizz
14th April 2006, 01:20 AM
People who insist that milk crates are actually "milk crates"...the nerve....everybody knows their proper name is "universal scaffolding and storage device"..

.unbelievable:(

But I'd say city councils are ringing my bell at the moment. A fundamental lack of understanding of the words "consistency".and "commonsense". However a truly fundamental appreciation of the word "Bureaucracy" exists...with an inbuilt desire to take the meaning of the word to new heights.

Christopha
14th April 2006, 10:52 AM
I just cannot handle anyone who is not a perfect as me......

scooter
14th April 2006, 02:37 PM
I'm sure they have no desire to be handled by you Chris... :cool:

Bob38S
16th April 2006, 11:11 AM
Free to air TV.
... Programs that don't finish on time
... Too many F#$%^&* ads that only a moron could like - I boycott as many of the main offenders as I can and encourage others to do likewise.
... New TV remotes that don't change channels quickly enough
... Reality programs that are totally unreal - if they want reality - GIVE US A WOODWORKING PROGRAM!
... The stupid reminder [lower right corner] of which channel you are watching
... Repeats of moronic reality programs
Looked into pay TV - you get to pay AND watch ads - pig's A
..... I could go on for ages - however my usual response is "Stuff this - I'm going up to the shed..."
Happy Easter to all
Bob

ss_11000
16th April 2006, 08:38 PM
Free to air TV.

... Too many F#$%^&* ads that only a moron could like
Bob

true...there are lots of ads that are crap....then there are a select few ads that are brilliant, and usually they are beer ads, like the carlton big ad and most vb ads.

mickp
17th April 2006, 03:04 PM
my gripe is that after spending all week at work being careful & safe I go and discolate my shoulder with only 30min till knock off time. have had to waste easter reading/watching the idiot box or on the puter when I should be in the shed butchering timber