PDA

View Full Version : My Bowl

Auzzie turner
10th June 2006, 05:44 PM
Hi, this is one of many bowls I have made, the wood is Curly jarrah, and I got this block at the Perth wood show last year for $10;) Please tell me what you think of this bowl, and please rate it out of 5 stars. I made this bowl around 8 months ago. The polish is shellawax cream. The third picture has my hand in it to give you an idea of it's size. It was made on a MC900 lathe. I have been turning for 2 years. Please use the poll in this thread.

P.S See my age:eek:

Hope you like it.

Reagrds.........Auzzie Turner;)

hughie
10th June 2006, 07:20 PM
Hi, this is one of many bowls I have made, the wood is Curly jarrah, and I got this block at the Perth wood show last year for $10;) Please tell me what you think of this bowl, and please rate it out of 5 stars. I made this bowl around 8 months ago. The polish is shellawax cream. The third picture has my hand in it to give you an idea of it's size. It was made on a MC900 lathe. I have been turning for 2 years. Please use the poll in this thread.

Auzzie,
maybe get or make one of the sanders that Gil has posted a pic of, you have some sanding marks on the inside. Other wise a darn nice effort.
hughie

Auzzie turner
10th June 2006, 07:24 PM
Hi, thanks for the masege, I definately should have spent more time sanding. But as I said I turned that bowl 8 months ago, and have increased in quality.
I will post a bowl that I have made recently made flawlessly. Thanks for your comments.

Regards

DJ’s Timber
10th June 2006, 07:33 PM
Hi Auzzie

Nice looking piece of jarrah, Same here a bit more sanding otherwise nice bowl, good free flowing shape

Cheers DJ

rsser
10th June 2006, 09:24 PM
Well done young fella.

That slightly undercut inside is a credit to you.

The shape is good, tho you may find that a base or foot about 1/3 the width of the overall diameter is more pleasing to look at.

Captain Chaos
10th June 2006, 09:49 PM
G'day Auzzie,
Very good effort for your first bowl. From the dim, dark recesses of time ( circa 1966 -67 ) I vaguely recall my first bowl being nowhere near as good as your first effort. Like the forum members have said, more sanding through the grades & Bingo, It'd be a goodun. Rsser has a good point in regard to the size of the foot / base.
Well done young fella, keep on turning.:)
Regards,
Barry.

P.S. Greenie launched.

Tassie Boy
10th June 2006, 09:53 PM
Good bowl there Aussie,
I voted on more sanding, there are a few sanding marks in the base but otherwise great bowl.

Nice to see another fellow 14 year old:)

Auzzie turner
10th June 2006, 09:56 PM
Hey thanks a lot, all this constructive critisism has got me a long way in this field. Thanks for the suggestions, Reagrds...........Joash

Auzzie turner
10th June 2006, 10:01 PM
you may find that a base or foot about 1/3 the width of the overall diameter is more pleasing to look at.

Thanks, I always wdo that on my bowls, now that I have a Vicmarc 120 chuck. This bowl was done on a faceplate.

Regards.......Joash

Studley 2436
10th June 2006, 11:05 PM
Very nice work aussie

shouldn't your sig say "dinners ready" "won't be long mum just got to finish something in the shed!"

Studley

Auzzie turner
10th June 2006, 11:18 PM
SSSSSSSSSSay that's a good idea, check my sig now!

ss_11000
13th June 2006, 04:34 PM
good work mate,

Auzzie turner
13th June 2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks Stirlo

Harry72
13th June 2006, 10:46 PM
Watch out fella's the youngin's are takin over!

Some nice work there Auzzie:)

PHD1
13th June 2006, 11:45 PM
Nice job!!! Keep up the good work