PDA

View Full Version : Trinket Box

Wardy
10th June 2006, 07:27 PM
Just finished making this box from 20 year old maple for my son to house his bits and pieces. The maple was from our old hand railing.The other timber is camphor and redgum and eucalypt burl veneer. The box is
L 330 W 220 H 80
Cheers Wardy
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=24717&stc=1&d=1149927763
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=24723&stc=1&d=1149927810
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=24724&stc=1&d=1149927845
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=24725&stc=1&d=1149927881
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=24726&stc=1&d=1149927914

masoth
10th June 2006, 07:40 PM
" ...for my son to house his bits and pieces................ "

Ouch!!

soth

DJ’s Timber
10th June 2006, 07:43 PM
Great looking box,

Like the handle,

Nice clean crisp lines and joints

Cheers DJ

BobR
10th June 2006, 07:56 PM
Like the box Wardy.

tonysa
10th June 2006, 11:13 PM
yep, nice box wardy, and nicely fingerjointed ! what did you use to make them ?

just got hold of my first bit of veneer (fiddleback something) now to learn how to use it. thinking of attaching it to some 3mm mdf, what day reckon ?

cheers
tonysa

Wardy
10th June 2006, 11:36 PM
yep, nice box wardy, and nicely fingerjointed ! what did you use to make them ?

just got hold of my first bit of veneer (fiddleback something) now to learn how to use it. thinking of attaching it to some 3mm mdf, what day reckon ?

cheers
tonysa

sorry tony, the box is dovetailed,probably the camera angle. I have used mdf on some of my boxes but the one i'm working on now i'm using 4mm ply.I've read that ply will be more stable.
Cheers Wardy

tonysa
10th June 2006, 11:46 PM
oops, sorry about that wardy, it was the camera angle
even better with dovetails - hand cut or routed ?

cheers
tony

Wardy
11th June 2006, 08:08 AM
oops, sorry about that wardy, it was the camera angle
even better with dovetails - hand cut or routed ?

cheers
tony

gifkins dovetail jig Tony,excellent jig and so easy to use.
Cheers Wardy

Harry72
11th June 2006, 06:28 PM
Nice work Wardy

Auld Bassoon
11th June 2006, 06:45 PM
Vey nice Wardy! The CL looks especially good.

One thing though, I believe that an old established rule is never to have more than three timber types in a given piece (a "rule" that I have also broken before I learnt of this), and that only one should be the main feature.

Nevertheless, a very nicely crafted box mate!

Wardy
11th June 2006, 07:22 PM
Vey nice Wardy! The CL looks especially good.

One thing though, I believe that an old established rule is never to have more than three timber types in a given piece (a "rule" that I have also broken before I learnt of this), and that only one should be the main feature.

Nevertheless, a very nicely crafted box mate!

Thanks for the advice Steve,I've never heard that before.I'll definately keep this in mind for the box I'm working on at the moment.
Cheers Wardy

AlexS
11th June 2006, 10:29 PM
Nice result Wardy. As the others have said, the CL came up a treat - would have looked good in the lid panel too.

TTIT
12th June 2006, 01:14 AM

Some rules were made to be broken! ;) Top looking box Wardy - the timbers work fine together IMHO :D

labolle
12th June 2006, 07:02 PM
I especially like the piece on the bottom of the box. I usually save my most boring pieces for the bottom, but you did the opposite. Shame to put anything in the box and and obscure that really cool looking grain.

Do you have anymore of that? Some of that wood would be a cool item for the Mystery Swap.

Simomatra
13th June 2006, 09:40 AM
Well done Wardy

nice box love the timbers one day I will get there.

It good the Gifkin jig

I have a question. I have had some breakout on the edges any ideas what I am doing wrong? Speed of machine or feed maybe.

Using the Triton in a bench

Any help appreciated

Wardy
13th June 2006, 03:38 PM
Well done Wardy

nice box love the timbers one day I will get there.

It good the Gifkin jig

I have a question. I have had some breakout on the edges any ideas what I am doing wrong? Speed of machine or feed maybe.

Using the Triton in a bench

Any help appreciated

Sam if you are crosscutting to size try using a sacrificial board behind the piece you are cutting to size. This stops breakout on the edge of the timber.
Cheers Wardy

Simomatra
13th June 2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks Wardy I should have made myself clearer it the edge of the dovetail that sometimes breaks a little

Wardy
13th June 2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks Wardy I should have made myself clearer it the edge of the dovetail that sometimes breaks a little
Sam if your using the gifkins dovetail jig in the instructions they show you how to introduce the cutters into the timber to be cut.it could be your forcing the cutters into the timber to quick. Next time you use it, try different feed rates when you push the jig into the cutter and you will soon get the feel for the different timbers that are being used.
Cheers Wardy

Simomatra
14th June 2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks Wardy

Yes it is the Gifkin I think it is actually me doing the secpnd cuts on the clean out

Will see how I go with the next one

Thanks again

Andy Mac
14th June 2006, 09:20 AM
Hi Wardy,
That is a special looking box, nicely done!:D

Cheers,