PDA

View Full Version : Domino router - Tips appreciated

andrewsd
11th June 2006, 02:32 PM
Hello all. Have just bought a Domino router and love it. I also have a 1400 router and a 1080 table. Would like to use the Domino and the 1400 to best advantage on the table but I don't think I'm currently doing this. Any tips on where to go for "how to" use the Festool table, Domino router and 1400 router in optimum configurations? Grateful for any tips.

Andrew

Greg Q
11th June 2006, 03:25 PM
Hi Andrew...

Check the Festool website, check the Festool user group on Yahoo. A contributor there, Jerry Work, has posted many tips, and has written the manual for a few Festool products. (There are others, too. Try a google for John Lucas' 'workshop demos').

The Domino has not yet been released in America, so there probably won't be any info there, but I believe the tool is brought to the work without being fixed in a table.

Good luck

Greg

Carpenter
11th June 2006, 08:13 PM
Hello Andrew (fellow mountaineer)

the Domino, or "Dominatrix" as she is know by in some circles, is probably not in the classification of a router, but rather an assistance to joinery, therefore she's known as a Domino joiner. Think of anything you would do with a biscuit joiner or a dowelling operation. Have a look at the Domino promotional CD for a good overview of its capabilities.

andrewsd
13th June 2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks Greg and Carpenter (fellow mountaineer).

patr
14th June 2006, 10:20 AM
Andrew

You asked about the Domino, the OF1400 and the MFT 1080. Carpenter is spot on re the Dominitrix and she is a jointer par excellance. I use the table to hold workpieces using either the Festool clamps or the superb universal clamping system which holds irregular shapes. But I recently dommed (or plunged for biscuit jointer owners!) a straight line of holes across a board using the guide rail as a, ahem, guide. By butting the base of the Domino against the guide rail (the opposite face to the rubber strip cutting face) I was able to dom with complete accuracy. The only word of caution when using the Domino is to ensure that you rest the top plate of the Domino on the workpiece when cutting and do not rest it on the table as height is measured and adjusted by the top plate.

The OF1400 is complemented by the MTF and guide rails. By using the guide rail adapter you can rout straight lines till the cows come home. Very handy for decorative beading, vee scribed lines in doors etc. I use the table again to clamp workpieces for freehand, guide bush and bearing cutter routing and to mount the Leigh Dovetail jig. For any Leigh jig owners who want to use the Leigh guide bushes in the OF1400 you can order a Festool bush adaptor, part no 493566, which allows you to screw in the Leigh 711P guide bush and then use 8mm cutters.

I hope this has not insulted your expertise or experience. As you get used to those fabulous tools perhaps you will share your experiences and tips.

Regards
Pat

Simou! No to an early release you serial pigeon killer you.

andrewsd
14th June 2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks Pat. I appreciate your advice. I am only starting out so know very little about most things to do with wood. Have been going to Benchworks, a business which offers training, which I find to be excellent.

Regards

Andrew

Lignum
14th June 2006, 11:59 AM
Simou! No to an early release you serial pigeon killer you.

Poor Simou, with all the talk about the Dominatrix he feels left out and is now in the dog house for indulging in his passion:cool:

patr
14th June 2006, 05:22 PM
Thank you Mr Lignum

A voice of support in the wilderness and lonliness that is my prison cell or kennel as he calls it. I am famously known as the Mid-Wale One, an innocent dog who just happened to be yawning when a pidgeon landed on his left molar. Whats a chap to do but put the poor soul out of its misery? As for its replacement, I blame TV and the media for giving me the idea of covering a deep fat fryer with a thin cover of bird seed. Twisted I know but that what you get for being left home alone while your supposed best mate plays with his Festools. Mind you, out of every grey cloud and all that......if anyone is interested in the new Corporal Simou's Finger Lickin recipe for crispy coated pigeon then give me a ring. Franchises are going fast up here in the Northern Hemisphere.

If only I could turn keys.....

Simou