PDA

View Full Version : a bit of silky oak anyone..

Slow6
11th June 2006, 08:12 PM
Gday pen folk.

I used a lovely bit of silky oak that I found as an old bookshelf (ugly as hell) recently and I ended up with some off cuts that look just like pen blanks to me.

the off cuts are 22x22ml and of varying leangths, I'm guessing half a dozen of em.

the wood is old and lovely to work with.. although I haven't turned it.

I was thinkin someone pen orientated might like a go with em.

happy to send em on to a good home.. if one of the pens happened to find its way back to my workshop all the better:D

if anyone is interested I just need to know how long a pen blank is.

chrisb691
11th June 2006, 08:26 PM
Gday pen folk.

I used a lovely bit of silky oak that I found as an old bookshelf (ugly as hell) recently and I ended up with some off cuts that look just like pen blanks to me.

the off cuts are 22x22ml and of varying leangths, I'm guessing half a dozen of em.

the wood is old and lovely to work with.. although I haven't turned it.

I was thinkin someone pen orientated might like a go with em.

happy to send em on to a good home.. if one of the pens happened to find its way back to my workshop all the better:D

if anyone is interested I just need to know how long a pen blank is.

150mm should do most (as far as I can see). I'm just setting up to try pen making, and would be interested. Can promise about the quality pen you'll get from me though. :D

Slow6
11th June 2006, 09:31 PM
150mm eh.. shorter than I would have thought.

righto chris.. I can post em off to you if you like.. we're only a couple of hours out of melb so shouldn't take long to get to you.

as for the quality of the pen.. I'm not so fussed, I'd just like to have a bit of the oak remain with me as a useable item.. I've grown attached to the planks and will miss having them sitting on wood shelf.

I'll get em off to you after the long weekend.

if you have a look at the saw handle in this thread
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=30499 you'll get an idea of what I'm on about.. the finish handle is a bit rough.. with a good oil and buff the timber is quite stunning.

Naf
11th June 2006, 10:57 PM
Would love to try some of you hairy oak (hope that doesn't sound rude). And would be more than happy to send you a finished pen.

Nathan

Slow6
12th June 2006, 08:54 PM
righto lads.. pm's on the way.

Slow6
13th June 2006, 10:44 AM
all packed and ready.. I'll pop by the PO on my way home this arvo.

the packages contain your silky oak, a stick of an unidentified wood that polishes up a treat with a high gloss and a stick of peach. you might want to let the peach sit for a month as its green atm but I figured I'd throw it in anyway if nothing else just for the smell of the wood as you turn it, I roughed out a bowl a couple of days ago and smell of peaches is still lingering (wonderfull)

the silky oak was from a shelf built in the 1930's - 40's for a flour mill in central vic.
it was removed when the mill went bust and was donated to me last year after sitting under my grandfathers workbench for 20 odd years.

I hope you get some pleasure out of it :)

edit: I should have mentioned... thats it for the silky oak, all gone.
I'll make a point of not throwing sticks of interesting timber in the fire from now on if you pen turners can make use of them.