PDA

View Full Version : Need an Aussie point of view

TurnedAround
11th June 2006, 10:42 PM
G'day all (spoken with my best Aussie accent;) ),

I would really appreciate your input on what would be the most attractive result for turning this uniquie piece of sweet gum I recently found in a fellas woodpile.

I hope the pix will give you enough info to make a good assessment.

I have a few ideas of my own, but haven't committed to them yet because I wanted some other opinions.

Thanks to all for the help,
Larry
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/Larry_Knight/IMG_1778.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/Larry_Knight/IMG_1779.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/Larry_Knight/IMG_1780.jpg

bdar
11th June 2006, 11:17 PM
Larry, looking at the piece, I definately be looking at bowls. Especially where the two braches meet, there should be a nice crotch figure and colour as a rule. What dimentions does the log have? I would go with as many large bowls as I could. If you have a bowl saver you could get a some good nesting sets. Another item on the wish list that would be nice. That's IMHO the way I would go, others my cut it for vases, I sell more bowls than vases though. Let us know what you do with it.
Cheers
Darren

Groggy
11th June 2006, 11:31 PM
Here's hoping most of the viewers realise you're a Pastor before publishing their replies :rolleyes: .

Where in Atlanta btw? I spent a while in Kennesaw and Marietta (96-2000), it's a very nice place (though peak hour on the I-75 you can keep) :) .

As for the piece you have, hmmm, bowls, goblets, gavels, knobs and handles (I'm not a turner, just a wannabee).

TTIT
12th June 2006, 12:47 AM
I'm not familiar with 'Sweet gum' :confused: (maybe you guy's renamed it) but to me, that piece looks good for a tall hollow form. It doesn't look wide enough for platters which would really show the crotch figure well but a tall urn shape would have a line of figuring up each side - very nice.:)

hughie
12th June 2006, 01:01 AM
G'day all

well spoken I hardly noticed your accent......:D

I would really appreciate your input on what would be the most attractive result for turning this uniquie piece of sweet gum I recently found in a fellas woodpile.

Larry. I would go with what has been said. The crotch area looks the most promising. Take care with the drying process, theres gonna be a lot of stress in that area of the tree.
hey post some pics for us when your done
hughie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th June 2006, 01:11 AM
A tall hollow form always looks good, but IMHO would lose most of the crotch figuring from that piece.

Personally, I think I'd split it down the middle (into two wye's, not seperating the limbs!) to help prevent shakes when curing and make it easier to determe whether the figure is good. Some crotch's grow over inclusions and other... "flaws" which can ruin your day if come upon unawares.

From there, with the figure in mind, I'd consider how I'd further subdivide it for best yield. But that's how I would do things. Different courses for different horses, after all. ;)

OGYT
12th June 2006, 06:19 AM
I agree with Skew... splitting it down the center, into two wye's will let you view the inside, then you might get bowls from one side and platters from the other. A coring system will save some good wood in this instance, probably.

TurnedAround
13th June 2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks so much for all the input.

I will certainly take all suggestions into consideration when I turn this piece.

I am rather certain that it will be natural edge, and perhaps only one piece from the entire turning.

I'm thinking about taking that center section where the one tree bulges around the other and making a bowl completely through the trunk leaving all piths in.

I prefer one spectacular bowl over several nice ones.

Thanks again to my all my Aussie counterparts. You are a great resource and asset to this American turner.

Larry

ozwinner
14th June 2006, 06:22 PM
I'm not familiar with 'Sweet gum' :confused: (maybe you guy's renamed it)

Sweet Gum aka Liquid Amber is not native to Oz thats why you dont know of it.

Al :)

Farnk
14th June 2006, 09:09 PM
Heaps of them all through the eastern suburbs of melb.
We had a huge one removed from our block, I didn't think of keeping any for turning.. Damn!