PDA

View Full Version : Tall boy dresser

dan_tom
12th June 2006, 09:19 AM
Hi everyone

Here is a dresser that we made last weekend. It is made from all recycled Australian hardwoods (the sides which are that tongue and groove reject flooring from Lismore). The joinery on the cabinet itself is mortice and tenon. The legs have a slight taper and the top is filled with black epoxy resin where there were holes/knots in the timber.

Cheers
Dan and Tom

BobL
12th June 2006, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone

Here is a dresser that we made last weekend. It is made from all recycled Australian hardwoods (the sides which are that tongue and groove reject flooring from Lismore). The joinery on the cabinet itself is mortice and tenon. The legs have a slight taper and the top is filled with black epoxy resin where there were holes/knots in the timber.

Cheers
Dan and Tom

Lovely stuff, what's the finish?

dan_tom
12th June 2006, 11:01 AM
It's Howards' Feed and Wax. I have come to discover that it doesn't make my hands swell/burn as much as Organoil wax. Here's a "before photo" of the sanded timber. Cheers, Dan

dazzler
12th June 2006, 11:46 AM
Hi

Nice contrast of colour

cool

Ashore
12th June 2006, 01:19 PM
Very Very nice :)

jugglingogre
12th June 2006, 01:27 PM
it seems that all I do on these pages is feel jelous of all you folks who know what you are doing! (:D <-- green with envy)

Must admit my dust pile is great, as is my shavings pile...:p

Great work!:cool:

AlexS
12th June 2006, 02:56 PM
Nice result D&T. Interesting contrast in the timber, did it come through after finishing? Can't really tell from the pics.

oges
12th June 2006, 05:03 PM
Brilliant work as usual, love seeing your work

Harry72
12th June 2006, 08:28 PM
You two never fail to impress!

Tex B
12th June 2006, 11:02 PM
Really lovely work. Sometimes I feel you just need to let the timber be the star, and we just have to be play a supporting bit.

Very nice.

Tex

Jill
13th June 2006, 12:17 AM
Very beautiful Danielle and Tom. You two make a great team!

Cheers,

Jill

Redgy
14th June 2006, 09:20 PM
Ya just knocked that up in a weekend :eek: It's very very nice.

Andy Mac
15th June 2006, 09:42 AM
Hi Dan and Tom,
I was wondering why we haven't heard from you...been making shavings again! The piece looks great, although the photos are a bit dark!? What type of timber was that flooring?

Cheers,

jmk89
15th June 2006, 10:03 AM
A really lovely piece. What are the dimensions? (How tall does a dresser have to be before it becomes a tallboy?)
What joinery did you use for the drawers?
Where did you find the brass handles?

So many questions...
Jeremy

BTW Greenie on the way

dan_tom
15th June 2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks everyone.

Hi Andy - Yep, photos are a bit dark as I took them outside on the back deck at around 6pm when we finished it. We've got a new camera and I don't know how to use it properly yet... hopefully photos will improve! The T&G sides are from a mixed pack that E Maculata put us onto. There's a mix in there of red mahogany, flooded gum, stringybark etc. Great timber - we also use it a lot for picture framing - which we've been doing a lot of lately too. I don't mind the "reject" characteristics. If it's a bit bent, we run it over the jointer or through the thicknesser.

Hi Jeremy - The handles come from ebay. A bloke with the username of "watsonbrass". I got em ages ago and haven't had a chance to make the dresser! I've also found Goods and Chattles in Woolloongabba really good too. I'll have to measure the dresser when I get home to give you dimensions. The drawers are made from ply with a nicer timber face plate/front. Not sure of the technical term, but we ran them over the table saw and slotted them together a bit like meccano! No dovetailing this time...

Cheers
Dan

dan_tom
15th June 2006, 07:11 PM
The dimensions are 560mm deep by 1190mm high by 770mm wide.

Cheers
Dan

Auld Bassoon
15th June 2006, 07:23 PM
Nice piece Dan & Tom!

Lots of character there, like many of your pieces.

Have a Greenie!

ddeen
16th June 2006, 06:34 AM
very nice. :)

robbiewy
16th June 2006, 10:10 AM
The colour contrast looks really impressive I like it!! A really nice job.