PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Swap

dazzler
12th June 2006, 12:01 PM
Hi All :)

SWMBO has this thing on her scrapbooking forum called a mystery swap and thought it may be of interest to the forum.

Basically a group gets together and decides on a monthly (or bimonthly) theme and each person forwards on a small package to someone else with the materials for the swap.

For the box making forum the theme might be "modern" and the box is to be about 200 x 100 x 75 in size, no lid. By keeping it small the costs are small to post.

So a list is put together of all members, names are randomly assigned for each member to send to and then each member picks timber from thier local area or whatever rocks em and places that in the package and sends it off.

The only issue is that you will need to mention whether you can thickness timber so that those that cant will get prethicknessed stuff.

At the end of the month pics are sent to the organiser who puts them on the site for admiration and voting. Whoever wins gets the greenies.

I have added a poll if u r interested.

Perhaps at the end of the year we could each put in one or two and sell them for charity.

I am happy :D to organise the first one!

cheers

dazzler

ozwinner
12th June 2006, 12:32 PM
Ive got some magic beans you can have in exchange for some Huon.

Al :p

dazzler
12th June 2006, 04:26 PM
Ive got some magic beans you can have in exchange for some Huon.

real magic beans:confused:

yes please

ozwinner
12th June 2006, 04:31 PM
real magic beans:confused:

yes please

Yep.
Mr Heinz makes em.

Shedhand
12th June 2006, 05:04 PM
Yep. I'd be in that Dazz. Just as soon as I get the house extension finished. ;)

Sculptured Box
12th June 2006, 06:45 PM
Make mine bandsawn box size, with the finished product donated to a charity of your choice!

Tony Ward
Bandsaw Box Plans (http://www.tonyward.org)

labolle
12th June 2006, 08:56 PM
Shipping wood around is bound to be a bit more expensive than your wife's sewing supplies....

Perhaps a weight limit or shipping cost limits would be in order. I'm quite a ways away, but like the idea...

Carry Pine
12th June 2006, 09:34 PM
Shipping wood around is bound to be a bit more expensive than your wife's sewing supplies....

Perhaps a weight limit or shipping cost limits would be in order. I'm quite a ways away, but like the idea...

Now the big guns are in on the act, this could get interesting. Now where did I put those chrome plated strap hinges?

Carry Pine

Slow6
12th June 2006, 11:09 PM
sounds like a decent idea to me.

personaly I find the odd log that begs cutting up, looks the part, but for some reason doesn't tickle my fancy. eg: I have a sliced up burl of a very hard chocolate/grey coloured mystery wood, I've had the little slices staring at me for months and although it has all the right stuff I just never seem to get excited about it. I reckon every w'worker must have a bit of timber sitting on a shelf like that.

but hey.. one mans trash is another mans treasure. I reckon its a great Idea.

maybe a locked galley thread containing photos of the pieces as they emerge would be a nice source of inspiration as we go?

AlexS
12th June 2006, 11:22 PM
Yeah, why not. I could start with the pieces kindly given to me by Major Panic & Ginger Rogers.
BTW, has anyone seen Major lately?
Edit: Ok Major, I see you haven't dropped off the edge of the earth, we've just been moving in different orbits..

Simomatra
13th June 2006, 09:43 AM
I think its a great idea so cpunt me in I am only a learner but thats the way to improve

Should be interesting

labolle
15th June 2006, 04:50 PM
Here are a few I thought of, I wonder what others could come up with...

interesting grain

dark wood

light wood

unusual pieces

Austrailia's native woods

veneers (easy to ship, this one)

hard wood

soft wood

mix and match

unusual hardware and accesories

dazzler
19th June 2006, 06:54 PM
Hi All

The poll ends in a couple of days so will hold off any decisions till then.

I like slows idea and there are a couple of others that i have heard also.

One is that you send two lots to make two boxes (small boxes maybe 200 x 100 x 75 ish.

The second is for a "pay it forward" and given as gifts for any worthwhile cause.

The other is where you send off the timber to the first person who begins the box, then sends it to the next who puts on the lid from thier own timber and finishes it. The box then gets sent back to the original person (or something like that). I will check onpost prices.

If you are interested can you send me an email (go to my profile and select from there.) with BOX in the title so it will go into the correct folder in my inbox. A mailing address (PO box/home/whatever) and I will compose a list of all who will be involved.

Then come time to go with it I will co-ordinate the first one and send out the address that you need to send your blanks to and any other info.

cheers big ears

dazzler

Shedhand
19th June 2006, 08:37 PM
G'day Daz, didn't see your mug on the tele tonight. Does that mean you haven't been seconded to ET?
Cheers

dazzler
19th June 2006, 08:51 PM
G'day Daz, didn't see your mug on the tele tonight. Does that mean you haven't been seconded to ET?
Cheers

Nah,

Broken knee is keeping me non-operational. Hope to go early next year in a capacity building/training role.

cheers

dazzler

Shedhand
19th June 2006, 10:03 PM
Nah,

Broken knee is keeping me non-operational. Hope to go early next year in a capacity building/training role.

cheers

dazzlerLucky bugger. Be great to do something like that. Forgot about your knee. They gonna fix it?
Cheers

Sculptured Box
22nd June 2006, 10:00 PM
dazzler

To get the box rolling I will donate a block of Australian Red Cedar, to a size of your specification, if you get rid of that awful avatar of yours!!

Tony Ward

Wild Dingo
23rd June 2006, 03:44 AM
And I will chip in a lump of foine Sheoak if it stays! :D But will up the ante with another lump of Jarrah if that bloke with the bouncing BOOB twins gets rid of them! :rolleyes:

Im in! :cool:

Lumber Bunker
27th June 2006, 01:36 PM
TTT
Any news on the swap?
Super keen.

dazzler
27th June 2006, 09:36 PM
HI box people

I need your postal addresses.

Please "send email to dazzler" from below my avitar and put "box" in the heading.

Come on:D

Lumber Bunker
27th June 2006, 11:34 PM
Sent.

dazzler
30th June 2006, 08:44 PM
dazzler

To get the box rolling I will donate a block of Australian Red Cedar, to a size of your specification, if you get rid of that awful avatar of yours!!

Tony Ward

Okay

Pay Up Buddy :D :D :D

Sculptured Box
30th June 2006, 09:28 PM
Okay

Pay Up Buddy :D :D :D

dazzaaaaler

just waitin' to see you on both feet and for your instructions. Welcome back!!:) My postal is PO Box 130, Glenbrook NSW 2773.

What size and to whom should I send my contribution - a beautiful block Australian Red Cedar?

Tony Ward

Lumber Bunker
12th July 2006, 11:42 PM
TTT

Getting a bit too far down the page. Any news of the pending swap?

dazzler
12th July 2006, 11:48 PM
Hey

Sorry guys n gals I am seriously flat out. Hope to have more by the weekend:rolleyes:

cheers

dazzler

Lumber Bunker
23rd August 2006, 02:45 AM
Bump.
nearly off the page.
:p

Shedhand
23rd August 2006, 09:42 AM
I'm still interested. Still very busy with reno's though. Whatever you decide Daz count me in.
Cheers

dazzler
1st September 2006, 06:54 PM
Hi all

Lumber has kindly suggested that he takes this over.

Thanks Lumber, I have been unwell of late and flat out at work and deciding where our future will be so this is very much appreciated.

I will play but not organise.

Sorry bout dragging this out everyone but with a new capt'n at the helm plain sailing is ahead:D

cheers

dazzler

gazaly
1st September 2006, 10:02 PM
I'm in and happy to help out in Perth if needed.

Let me know Lumber.

Stuart
1st September 2006, 10:03 PM
I'm interested to join in as well - not likely to produce any masterpieces, but I plan to learn a lot!!!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st September 2006, 11:14 PM
Hmmm... are you talking bandsawn or just boxes in general?

Not too sure whether I'll put myself in, not this round anyway; this month I'm already destroying more good timber than common sense allows...

Lumber Bunker
3rd September 2006, 09:06 PM
Any and all... as long as they are hollow on the inside...

Just to let everyone know, Tony Ward and I are currently trying to piece together the swap. So stay tuned.

Cheers,
Steven Thomas
The Lumber Bunker

dazzler
3rd September 2006, 10:15 PM
Hey Lumber

once you have sorted it perhaps a new thread to get some more interest.

cheers

dazzler