PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Jig Results

Stubchain
12th June 2006, 05:02 PM
Due to other commitments It has been a while since I last got to do anything in the workshop. My daughter wanted a small open wall unit for our grandchild. I though it was a great excuse to try out my dovetail jig (Christmas present, I did say it had been a while).

I though I would share my first experiences with you all, as a complete novice at machine or hand dovetails some might find the information useful. I have also added a couple of pictures.

The jig I have is from Carbatec No WDV – 1N, the bits are CT-0758B and 818-142-11B.

First things first, the manual that came with the jig is like an ashtray on a motorbike, totally useless. I searched on the net and found a much better manual for the same jig. The only problem was all the measurements and tables were in imperial, not to worry as they were useless as well, they were for a router with a template, not router bits with bearings.

Any way after some playing around with some test pieces for about an hour and taking the odd measurement, I finally got round to making the unit. I was pleasantly surprised at the final result. I have come to the conclusion that the jig will definitely get more use.

There are a couple of crucial measurements that need to be adhered to, the depth of the actual router bit, and the depth that the bit is pushed horizontally into the jig. Once these two are right it was fairly straight forward. I don’t know how to work these two measurements out as yet other that cut test pieces. It looks to me like the depth of the router bit governs the tightness of the joint and this is only a matter of very fine adjustment +- ).5mm. The horizontal depth is again very easy after a test cut.

Providing you start with the edges of your wood nice and square and you butt them tightly together, the jig cuts very perfectly square. The pictures show the small unit straight after gluing, it has not been sanded at all, so I’m pretty please with the joins.

So all in all I am pleased with the jig, I know some people do not like this type of jig, but from my first experience it’s OK to make some nice basic dovetails. If you are thinking of getting one, before you do anything, get a proper manual. The manual for the WDV-1N is identical to Woodstock Inc Dovetail Jig No D2796. It makes the set up a whole lot easier because it explains how to align the wood etc with diagrams.

Now I know what to do with the jig I think it looks fairly straight forward to use.

BobR
12th June 2006, 05:28 PM
Good looking joints. Especially considering your learning experience. I can't remember if Leigh jigs have their manual on their web site or not. If they do, they most probably have the best manual with any dovetail jig. Whilst the manual does not pertain to your jig, it provides excellent theory on dovetail jig setup.

Stuart
12th June 2006, 05:58 PM
Looks exactly like a Jet dovetailing jig - even the same colour. Always amazes me when dovetails work as expected - such a strong mechanical joint even without glue

Coldamus
12th June 2006, 06:07 PM
Stubchain,

Your results look great. Very impressive for your first try. Thanks for sharing the experience. It is something I have yet to do and you have given me some confidennce.

I always wondered how it was possible to cut the tails and ends in one go. Although I guessed the pieces must be offset, it was nice to see that clearly explained in the manual.

For anyone having trouble finding the manual, it is here

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/manuals/h0983_m.pdf

regards
Coldamus

mkb
12th June 2006, 08:47 PM
Coldamus,

I think it is here (http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/manuals/h0983_m.pdf), your link got me the winch manual :eek:

Coldamus
12th June 2006, 09:38 PM
Coldamus,

I think it is here (http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/manuals/h0983_m.pdf), your link got me the winch manual :eek:

You're right. I don't know what caused that as I copied the link straight from my Internet Explorer history. I even tested it first. I've edited the link now so as not to mislead anyone else. I hope it stays that way. Thanks for picking up the error.

regards
Coldamus

Carry Pine
12th June 2006, 11:04 PM
Great looking joints. Now how about a great looking box?
Carry Pine

Simomatra
13th June 2006, 09:24 AM
Well done stubchain.

Nice dovetails with your first attempt. I am also in the process of learning the Gifkins although it only does through type

Its great to try something new helps with the grey matter

Look forward to the completed unit