PDA

View Full Version : Which floor lathe????

sunshine
16th July 2002, 09:30 AM
I am thinking about getting a bigger lathe.
I now have a "mini". From all your experiences, which do you recommend? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

I am a semi-lathe-newby http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif, and more experienced woodworker in furniture.
To mention one name I have heard of, what do you think of the Nova?

Thanks very much. Phyllis

Kev Y.
16th July 2002, 06:52 PM
Phyllis, I too am in th emarket for a new lathe, apart from the nova I have also looked at the Woodfast lathes, and the Vicmark lathes.

Doorstop has voiced his opinoins to me and basically said the choice was not too great.

looks like it will be a case of take your best shot and live with the repercusions.

Kev.

------------------
IF at first you don't succeed, relax your, normal.

sunshine
17th July 2002, 06:34 AM
Kev: Thanks for the input. I hope you will
post when you actually "make a choice"...
would like to know what you get.

Phyllis

ubeaut
18th July 2002, 09:48 AM
Brudda - if you want to upgrade, and by that I mean pay more money for a better lathe, you have a choice of Vicmarc, Omega, Tough, Woodfast all made in Australian and Nova made in NZ.

If you want to spend under $2000 then Nova 3000 or a Vicmarc are the way to go, up to $3000: Nova DMV and Vicmarc are the ones to look at. Over $3000 same again plus Omega. don't know the price of Woodfast and Tough but Woodfast I wouldn't touch their cheaper lathes and would only look at their top of the line ones. Tough are an unknown quantity to me now. They used to be made in W.A. but they are now being put together at the Woodsmith. Don't know where they are being made or anything else about them.

There are others but you need to hunt for them. But for mine I would stick to the ones that are easiest to get parts and accessories for and they would be Nova and Vicmarc.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Tim the Timber Turner
18th July 2002, 10:33 AM
My experience supports what Neil has said.

Woodfast always made a good lathe, they have been the major supplier to schools & TAFE for over 50 years. But they always try and compete with the cheaper imports and have never made a good lathe at the bottom end of the market.

I owned a Woodfast 400 shortbed for 10 years and belted around heaps and it was great. Also owned a Cobra and a C1000 neither of which I kept for very long.

I now run with Vicmark and am very impressed.
Big, heavy and strong.
No question that they are a step up from a Woodfast.
Things like 30mm toolposts in their larger lathes, easier to use indexing system, tapered roller bearings, the locking collar that enables the chuck to be run in reverse and R/H chucks used outboard.The best ever outboard set up.
I don't know of anyone that ownes a baby VL100 Vickmark who would part with it, given its size limitations.

Fop my money Vicmark lead the field in Quality and design.

I must qualify the above statments by saying I have never driven an Omega or one of the new Nova's.

My two bobs worth.

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.

BrianR
18th July 2002, 05:00 PM
I don't know which Vicmarc "floor lathe" you'll get under $3000. I have a VL175 and it's terrific. They make a great product but terrible delivery. Delivery dates just flow out and out as a friend of mine is finding having ordered a 175 on my recommendation.

rsser
24th July 2002, 03:28 PM
I was hovering between the Teknatool DVR 3000 and the Vicmarc175. In the end went for the Vicmarc -lower minimum speed, longer bed, and heavier all round. Yes, delivery times are lousy but then it's a machine that will last for years. How many second hand ones have you ever come across?

Cheers,

Ern

ubeaut
26th July 2002, 12:00 AM
DRV and Nova 3000 have a much longer bed. It can be added to in precision fitting sections to make it as long as you wish.

Cheers - Neil
Babysitting the Tulloch computer is SA for a couple of nights.

sunshine
7th August 2002, 07:44 AM
Hi:
Just thought you'd like to know what lathe I finally got. Incidentally, thanks for all your suggestions.

Having looked at my "mad money" and thinking about what other "big" tools I wanted to get
(I also build furniture), having really looked at the info about the DVR and the Vicmarc 175, I "regrouped" and bought the Jet
floor lathe. $600 U.S.
Boy, was this a difficult decision, but I played "grownup" and "practical" and it was NO FUN!!!!

But now I can get a new bandsaw, too. I am looking to upgrade, probably the DVR, in the not too distant future. I really like the Vicmarc 175, but haven't been able to find a source in the US.

Back to FUN and CHILDHOOD as soon as I can!

Thanks again.... Phyllis