PDA

View Full Version : recent tools

Andy Mac
12th June 2006, 10:36 PM
Hi there!
Here are a couple of tools I have been working on recently, mainly to take away with me on the recent trip out west.
There is a tapered reamer, a buckhorn scraper, a dowel maker, a rough mallet, a froe and an inshave (which I made some time back but recently reworked). I'll post some seperate photos of each tool later, and a few observations.

Cheers,

Wood Butcher
12th June 2006, 10:48 PM
Andy, once again awesome work.
Tool making is one skill that I would love to learn! (but probably never be any good at:():D

Fantastic Job.

Andy Mac
12th June 2006, 10:50 PM
I saw this tool years ago and have always meant to have a go at making one. There are decent plans and instructions in FWW #118 from '96, and its main use would appear to be the finishing of carved seats.
As I was just knocking together a prototype I used whatever timber I had on hand of a suitable size, which was Monteray cypress... not the most suitable as its too soft for wearing. Nice to shape though! The blade I shaped from a used sandstone cutting bandsaw blade, an enormous great thing, using a plasma cutter. Its springy, but much thicker than a standard scraper blade. Agood burr was acheived.
Initial response is the thing has potential, although I had difficulty preventing chatter, a softer cut better than pressing firmly to take a deeper one. Only used it on kauri and silky oak, the latter being pretty woolly. I may try to introduce some curve in the blade by a set screw, like commercial scraping planes. Easy to put together...reckon I'll knock up a couple more and experiment with sole shapes too.:)

Cheers

BobL
12th June 2006, 10:56 PM
Andy, some really great ideas there.

Some labels as to what-is-what would be useful. Also for the more obscure tools some indication as too what they are used for would be very interesting.

For a moment I thought the "reamer" was a "fid" but I then though what an interesting combination a reamer/fid would make. Maybe use the reamer blade to hold the fid paper in place?

Oh yeah and love to see some close ups!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

BobL
12th June 2006, 11:05 PM
Easy to put together...reckon I'll knock up a couple more and experiment with sole shapes too.:)

Cheers

Can you show us what the bottom looks like.
Thanks

Slow6
12th June 2006, 11:28 PM
Can you show us what the bottom looks like.
Thanks

took the words right out of my mouth :)

JDarvall
13th June 2006, 12:40 AM
Nice tools Andy. Like that inshave. Haven't got one of those yet. Still got that big spokeshave thing hanging about somewhere rusting. Must remember to give it a squirt of WD40. :D Use it for seats too I think ? Guessing.

with that buckhorn scraper. Haven't got one, but I know that with such a thick blade, their being no flex, I'd say your right, a very fine settings the only way to use it. Similar situation with a scraper plane. Chatter should stop set fine as you know. Thats the only thing I don't like about thick scraping blades. No flex means no compromise. Hard to take a thick shaving with it. So its either fine shaving or chatter.

CameronPotter
4th July 2006, 03:16 PM
Nice work Andy! I am a bit slow responding (but I have my excuses). Still I am impressed with the results. Did you ever get around to posting individual (larger) pics elsewhere?

Cam