PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Needed

Auzzie turner
12th June 2006, 10:58 PM
So I'm turning along when the round nose scraper I was using at the very end, went through the middle, and there was a neat little hole in the middle. The wood is a nice jarrah burl. The 3 picture has my hand in it so you can see the size of it. This happens to me in about 1 out of 15 bowls:eek: I have turned approximately 250-300 bowls in my turning career. I turn approximately 2 hours per day. Does anyone have a fix for this problem? You can see one of my bowls that has worked here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=33001) This bowl was made approx 8 months ago.
If you know what I can do with this, please tell me what I can do. Thanx in advance, Regards........Joash

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th June 2006, 12:00 AM
Grab an offcut of pine, let's say about 18mm x 35mm x 12" (mixed measurements just to confuse you. ;) ) and a piece of 6-8mm dowel, also about a foot long. Drill a hole through the middle of the offcut, sized so the dowel is a snug fit; not so tight it needs a hammer to move, not so loose it'll fall out. Finally, insert the dowel in the 'ole. Bingo! Instant depth gauge. :D

Rest it across the top of your bowl and push the dowel in until it touches bottom. Remove and compare to the outside... you can see how much further you have to play with.

The bowl is fixable too. Find a coin, a contrasting disk of wood, round gemstone or something similar that's slightly larger than the hole and will look good in the bottom of the bowl. Remount the bowl and turn a shoulder around the hole so the insert fits snugly without falling through. Glue insert in. Impress everyone with how creative you are. :cool:

Captain Chaos
13th June 2006, 12:29 AM
G'day Auzzie,
You could mount the bowl in the lathe using Cole Jaws & turn The hole in the base out to 1½ - 2" (38 - 50mm) - enough to give you some decent thickness in the base. Get a piece of Red Malle Burl or similar & turn a neat fitting plug to glue into turned out section of the bowl base. Make the plug thicker than the base, turn a spigot on it to mount in the chuck once you've glued it into the bowl. Turn the inside, blending it into the inside shape & finish. Remount in the Cole jaws & turn the spigot off & shape the base & finish the exterior of the bowl.
Regards,
Barry.

P.S. I've included A couple of piccies of one of my salvage operations. :o:(

cypher
13th June 2006, 05:01 AM
I have done this many-a-times. normally just cut myself a plug out of the same wood or something that will provide good contrast. Glue the plug into the bottom and re-trun the bottom.

Jenny Brandis
13th June 2006, 01:45 PM
I have not done this yet - mainly because I have not tried making bowls :) but it is such an interesting idea that I may make a few bowls just so that I can.

Auzzie turner
13th June 2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks a lot, You have been a great help.
Regards..........Joash:D

hughie
14th June 2006, 12:22 AM
P
.S. I've included A couple of piccies of one of my salvage operations. :o:([/QUOTE]

Nice save Captain!:D
Looks like it was intended to be plugged. hughie

Captain Chaos
14th June 2006, 10:40 PM
G'day & thanks Hughie,
Long story short, everything that could go wrong with the turning of that lidded box did! I probably wasted too much time resurrecting it, but I only consign my failed turnings to the firewood box as the very last resort.:o I always have plans B to Z999 before I give up.:eek:;) A friend has named the box "Pandora's Box" after witnessing my trials & tribulations first hand!!
I am very happy with the end result, I must say.
Regards,
Barry.

rsser
14th June 2006, 11:24 PM
Yeah, nice work Barry.

Have done the same myself and have several bowls still waiting for the ambo's to come.

A contrasting 'plug' or foot can make it look like you intended it all along ;-}

You can even do a stem if the proportions work.

(Just don't use redgum; it shifts around too much).

As for preventive medicine, ... big calipers that can slip into the gap between the jaws to check what's left at the base.

soundman
14th June 2006, 11:26 PM
Stick a brass candle cup in it and call it a candle holder.:D