PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Needed

Auzzie turner
12th June 2006, 10:59 PM
So I'm turning along when the round nose scraper I was using at the very end, went through the middle, and there was a neat little hole in the middle. The wood is a nice jarrah burl. The 3 picture has my hand in it so you can see the size of it. This happens to me in about 1 out of 15 bowls:eek: I have turned approximately 250-300 bowls in my turning career. I turn approximately 2 hours per day. Does anyone have a fix for this problem? You can see one of my bowls that has worked here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=33001) This bowl was made approx 8 months ago.
If you know what I can do with this, please tell me what I can do. Thanx in advance, Regards........Joash

DJ’s Timber
12th June 2006, 11:30 PM
Hi Joash

I constantly stop the lathe and check for wall thickness
You can use a bowl caliper, I normally use my finger till I start getting down to a certion thickness then i use calipers
You just have to be patient and keep checking

Cheers DJ

Auzzie turner
12th June 2006, 11:39 PM
Hi Joash

I constantly stop the lathe and check for wall thickness
You can use a bowl caliper, I normally use my finger till I start getting down to a certion thickness then i use calipers
You just have to be patient and keep checking

Cheers DJ
Yeah thanks, I know I should have done that, but what the question is is what can I do to fix it? eg: insert piece of sheoak. Anyway, thanks for your post,

Regards.........Joash

Sprog
12th June 2006, 11:41 PM
So I'm turning along when the round nose scraper I was using at the very end, went through the middle, and there was a neat little hole in the middle. This happens to me in about 1 out of 15 bowls.
If you know what I can do with this, please tell me what I can do. Thanx in advance, Regards........Joash

If you mean in the centre on the bowl, then either keep checking your depth or drill a hole before you start 2-3mm less then the final depth. This will show you when you are deep enough :D

Sprog
12th June 2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah thanks, I know I should have done that, but what the question is is what can I do to fix it? eg: insert piece of sheoak. Anyway, thanks for your post,

Regards.........Joash
Oh right :D
Insert a contrasting piece and refinish:)

DJ’s Timber
13th June 2006, 12:07 AM
Hi Joash

If you want to fill in hole I would use something that is ligher in colour
If you use someting of similar colour it looks like you are trying to patch it up
By using a lighter colour it looks like it meanr to be there

Cheers DJ

Hickory
13th June 2006, 01:58 AM
I reciently experience same as you this last time it was the side that was cut thin. In the past I also had trouble with either too thick bottoms or makinf tubes out of bowls. My solution was to make a depth guage. simple construction. A cross member and a rod. To provide tension on the rod I used a screw eye and wing nut. Cut a slot in the member to accomidate the screweye, drill a hole the diameter of the rod through the member and the screweye slot. push the rod through and tighten the wingnut (Add a few inprovements and decorative factors and you have a depth guage)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/deptha.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/guages.jpg

Auzzie turner
13th June 2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah thanks. I have only once gone through the side, I cannot stand bowls with a dome in the very centre, because if they straightend it out, they would go through the middle. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, and I will try making that jig of yours.
Thanks,
Regards.......Joash:cool: