PDA

View Full Version : Help needed from the Experienced

cypher
13th June 2006, 04:56 AM
Below is a picture of a bowl style I would like to make. Mine will be “V” shaped (no rollover at the top) What I am looking for is anyone with this type of turning experience to lend a hand. This will be my first attempt at something like this. I understand how to rough cut the blank but what I’m having trouble with is how to mount the blank to turn with the natural edge. Normally I would screw chuck the bowl, turn the outside, reverse chuck the bowl and turn the inside. I am not sure how this will work with the bark edge of this bowl. I also need to know how to reduce the wobble while turnning. . . the bark side tends to be out of round. The other thing I am looking for is a piece of wood to make this out of. I know on natural edge bowls the bark must be harvested at the correct time in order to stay on. Can someone provide a piece of wood or point me in the correct direction for this first attempt. Not looking for anything exotic or to large since this is my first attempt. Please help!!!

http://www.esper.com/theartofturning/img0018.gif

ubeaut
13th June 2006, 09:25 AM
Cypher - Not trying to discourage you and maybe help from here will be forthcoming, but please note that this is an Australian forum and although we have a number of American members you might find you will get a bit more help from one of the US forums.

Cheers - Neil :)

PHD1
13th June 2006, 09:55 AM
Hi,

What i do most of the time when turning live edge bowls is use a screw chuck. Because the bark and uneveness i cut or grind a flat spot be4 screwing on the lathe. Then i bring up the tail stock and turn the outside like u normaly would. When that is done turn around and work the inside. The hardest part of live edge turning is finding ur place to start cutting as it is almost invisible. I sand the live edge with the lathe off. If not u will round over the edge.
Happy turning

OGYT
13th June 2006, 09:59 AM
Cypher, here's my two cents:
Pick any chunk of wood with the bark still in good shape. Mount it between centers with a spear-point or steb center at what will be the top of the bowl... cut a tenon on the tailstock side (this will be the bottom).
Soon as the tenon's cut, reverse it, and mount it in your chuck. Soon as you have it mounted in your chuck, turn it on, and mark the natural edge top with a parting tool (inside and outside edges)... using very light cuts until you have it cut all the way through the bark. You may have to switch back and forth between a parting tool and a gouge to get all the way through the bark. (During this step you can remove some of the bowl center and outside, but be very careful to take light cuts, so you don't knock the bark off the natural edge you want to keep).
Now take Cyanoacrylate (CA - [super glue]) and run it along the cambium layer, (where the bark meets the wood). Most times this will need to be done again, periodically, to different parts of the bark that you see getting a little loose. Take a break while the glue sets up... and don't breathe the fumes.
Now finish the bowl. When you get the bowl ready to sand, be very careful of the natural edge. It's best to hand sand near the edge, to keep the thickness uniform.
Hope this helps you a little.