PDA

View Full Version : my third bowl, i'm getting better at sanding these stoopid things

ss_11000
13th June 2006, 09:21 PM
hi all....

after an hour and a half, i finished my 3rd bowl.

the wood is silky oak and i finished it with shellawax.

i used some of the techniques for sanding mentioned in my previous thread ( my second bowl) and they greatly improved my sanding time and finish.

the base is very wide because it was done on the faceplate because i haven't got a scroll chuck as yet.

the edge of the pool table and the balls should give you a fair idea of the size.

Toasty
13th June 2006, 09:50 PM
You're definitly getting there, Stirlo.

Try not to go too fast on the sanding. Don't think of it so much as a chore but an important part of the process. The finish can make or break a bowl in terms of appearance.

I really like your use of the pool table in the photos too. The viewer can really appreciate the size of the bowl. Well done.

Here is some Silky Oak I did earlier this year, the grain is almost three dimensional when you look at it in the flesh. It's also smooth as, well, silk :rolleyes:

edit: Got a better pic of the three dimensional grain, didn't mean to detract from the quality work you are doing.

http://www.thisturninglife.com/images/silkyoak-006.jpg

Auzzie turner
13th June 2006, 10:04 PM
Now thats what i call a vast improvement. Now all you need is the Vicmarc 120 and some bigger wood:D Keep up the good work, Regards......Joash

P.S A pic of a natural edged camphor bowl, also a large jarrah burl platter.--enjoy:D

ss_11000
13th June 2006, 10:08 PM
Now thats what i call a vast improvement. Now all you need is the Vicmarc 120 and some bigger wood:D

stuff the vicmarc, too expensive for my wishlist :rolleyes: ( $1500 worth of machinery - :D , just gunna get a $150 one from jim carrol or similar:)

now bigger wood is a good idea:D

nice bowls btw.

some brilliant grain in that piece toasty....

Caveman
14th June 2006, 01:00 AM
Hi Stirlo - if you only have a faceplate and want to have a smaller base to your bowl then you could try gluing a piece of waste/scrap wood to your blank - Attach the waste wood to your faceplate - this will allow you to make a very small base to a bowl if you want. You can turn the bowl down to the base width you want then, part off from there and hand sand the bottom.
Hope that makes sense (I know what I mean anyway:) ).

Gil Jones
14th June 2006, 01:39 AM
Fine work on the Silky Oak bowl, Stirlo!!

TTIT
14th June 2006, 09:19 AM
Stirlo, Great effort on the bowl and a big improvement on the finish.:) Now you've just got to work on the base/shape. Go with Cavemans tip mate! There were a hell of a lot of bowls being turned long before scroll-chucks came along.;) Gluing on to pieces of waste is something I still do now if I don't want to waste part of a special bit of wood - a spigot or recess for the scroll chuck means wasting 5 or 10mm of everything you turn.:( If your not sure of the steps to take, PM me and I'll come up with some pics for you.

ss_11000
14th June 2006, 04:45 PM
thanx guys.

i know what you mean andy and i'm gunna try it next time....

how would it go if you turn a base and then jam it into a piece of scrap? is it as safe as andy's way.

ttit, i'll try it first and if it doesn't work i'll get ya to get some piccies, ( you can have a greenie for the thought)

jmk89
14th June 2006, 05:08 PM
Hey stirlo

As you know, I'm no turner, but post #8 on this thread
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=33080
shows you what I think the caveman was suggesting. I would have thought it would be easier to do it in one step like that than to do it in two steps, but hell I's still trying to learn to do dovies,....:D

Jeremy

ss_11000
14th June 2006, 05:24 PM
it looks similar to what i was thinking

DanP
14th June 2006, 10:37 PM
Stirlo,

Good to see that you are learning as you go and fixing the mistakes of your last go.

Read up on jam chucks. Could be just the ticket.

Dan

ss_11000
15th June 2006, 10:21 PM
dan, thanx for the greenie and encouragement.

i was thinking jam chucks but i want to try that with an experienced turner first so peices dont go flying off and smashing things.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th June 2006, 01:33 AM
Stirlo, the secret to jam chucks is bringing up the tailstock. That way, even if the chuck's a bit sloppy things shouldn't go whizz-banging around the shed. Anyone who doesn't use the tailstock (even "grand-poobah turners") is risking trouble... the only time it should be moved out of the way is for that last li'l smidgin in the middle. ;)

Still, good on ya for playing safe. I oughtta get you 'round here to talk to my "apprentice." :rolleyes:

ss_11000
16th June 2006, 04:39 PM
Stirlo, the secret to jam chucks is bringing up the tailstock. That way, even if the chuck's a bit sloppy things shouldn't go whizz-banging around the shed. Anyone who doesn't use the tailstock (even "grand-poobah turners") is risking trouble... the only time it should be moved out of the way is for that last li'l smidgin in the middle. ;)

i knew there had to be a secret to it:) ;)