PDA

View Full Version : Essential Oils

Flint
15th June 2006, 07:47 PM
I have been asked to make a Box for my wife to store small bottles of essential oils in. Does anyone know if their is a prefered timber to use for this.

Sculptured Box
15th June 2006, 07:52 PM
I have been asked to make a Box for my wife to store small bottles of essential oils in. Does anyone know if their is a prefered timber to use for this.

Given that the essential oils will be contained in a bottle (or a similar) the choice of timber is yours!

Heres to the time when you can post an image on this Forum of your work!

Harry II
15th June 2006, 08:52 PM
we have a box of essential oils that we have had for years and it smells like a flower shop so selecting a fragrant wood may be a waste of time. I would be more concerned with the joinery and design. But on second thoughts it would be good to start off with an aromatic wood for presentation. Here's a few suggestions: Western Red Cedar, Sandal Wood, Huon Pine, Oregon, Camphor Laurel, Himalayan Ceder (in fact most Cedars). Or you could use something less fragrant and infuse it with an essential oil. Hope this helps.

Harry

Ashore
16th June 2006, 01:58 AM
Have made 2 , used tassi oak for the box and western red for the dividers.
The western red came from timber blinds that were too long so I removed the bottom slats to suit the window, these were 3mm thick and ideal as dividers
Check with your wife if she is going to get any larger bottles in years to come as they come in 2 sizes and if she wants a mixing dish stored in the box as well

looking forward to pics of the finished product

Rgds